Get use to early stoppages?

Somebody posted on another thread recently that the athletic commissions are encouraging early stoppages by refs if possible. Between the last UFC and ShoXC events, there were plenty of fights that caused a lot of commotion and fans going berzerk with flash KO's.

Is this true?

Remember all the ridiculously early cut stoppages about 5 or 6 years ago?

This is a continuously evolving process.

Going back to that would be bad.

Hell it's bad now.

I really don't like seeing a guy get dropped and then by the time the ref stops it he's either back on his feet or in gaurd.

I'm just waiting for the day they have an early stoppage in a Nog fight. He gets knocked down in almost every fight, then makes a comeback.

I can't complain too much because it's all part of the game, I just hope that all these new refs coming into the sport are aware who's in the cage and their history of taking punishment, etc.

Main events should be treated like title fights in respect to letting things go a little longer when possible.

agreed

I Like Gladiator Movies - Karo was stopped early. so was Houston

No, no they weren't...

Although this is a contentious point, I still feel that the Karo fight was stopped a little early.

I hate to be the guy, but, much as I dislike early, controversial stops, I would be more upset to see someone get really, permanently hurt. The latter will be much worse for the sport.

I do believe the Tommy Spears fight should have been stopped a few punches prior to the final knockout blow. That guy was out on his feet and could have been hurt way more seriously.

Brigham will you just get off it. Karo got face planted by Serra and then went on to kick his ass.

Houston on the other hand was stiffer than a high school boy watching cheerleader practice.

People think if you crumple you are done but that is not the case. Guys get dropped badly in boxing, muay thai and k-1 all the time and recover quickly to go onto win, granted they get a bit of recovery time but this thing with refs jumping in as soon as a guy is dropped is a little much.

"yes they were"

It doesn't matter if Houston recovered quickly, his arms were stiff as wood when he was laying on his back. Once the decision is made to stop it, its STOPPED. Doesn't matter if he recovered after.

Karo one was iffy, but certainly not a BAD stoppage.

What alot of ppl don't mention is what happens if the ref doesn't step in? Does Houston take 5-6 more shots to the face for no reason? It looked like he took a 2nd clean shot to the chin right as the ref got in.

Karo, same thing. Who's to say Alves doesn't sit there and pound his face in if the ref doesn't step in?

Is the ref suppose to let a guy get hammered a few a more times, possibly, causing long term damage before he decides enough is enough?

It's a thin line but refs are paid to keep people safe and decide that enough is enough and this guy may take alot more punishment if I don't stop it.

"whose to say he doesnt get back up and win the fight"

It's Karo's job not to get crumpled like a bag of rocks so the ref isn't put in a situation where he has the make the best decision in the moment.

Fights like the one where Sakaraba/Yoshida were forced/given the chance to come back just won't fly in the U.S. with the athletic commissions watching the fights. As a fan I'm glad they don't occur just out of principle.

The thing about MMA that is different than boxing is many times a guy does get KOed only to have subsequent shots re-awake them. You have to factor this in when you ref MMA.

"Flash knock downs don't end boxing matches. They shouldn't end MMA fights."

LOL! In Boxing you can't even hover over your opponent and pummel them when they stand up anymore, ala Dempsey/Willard. Boxing is for faygs that like wearing cowboy boots and punching with pillows.

"whose to say he doesnt get back up and win the fight "

Well, he took a knee to the face dropping him and putting himself in danger of the fight being stopped. Your argument really has no basis because a knee to the face did happen, again, putting Karo in a position to have the fight stopped. Saying karo COULD have comeback is like saying Alves could have sat there punching him in the face over and over again.

I didnt think it was a bad stoppage at all. Could it have gone a few more seconds...yeah probably but the ref did his job.

As far as Houston..the "On a Cross pose" will never lead to good things in an MMA event.

I thought the Karo stoppage was a bit premature but Alexander was stiff, arms to each side of his body.

Alexander was a good stoppage, anytime a guy is flat on his back doing the crucifixtion pose it's a good indication the lights are off.

There shouldnt be any controversy about the Alexander stoppage.

As far the Karo stoppage, the only arguement that i have with it is that Karo is a top 5 guy (or was) and the bout was basically a #2 contender match so I think 1-2 more strikes to make more clearly definitive would have been good. As it stands, i think it was a "good enough" stoppage on any other regular bout but i think Karo should have been given the extra chance. His arms were not completely limp, he wasnt frozen stiff like Houston.

There shouldnt be any controversy about the Alexander stoppage.

As far the Karo stoppage, the only arguement that i have with it is that Karo is a top 5 guy (or was) and the bout was basically a #2 contender match so I think 1-2 more strikes to make more clearly definitive would have been good. As it stands, i think it was a "good enough" stoppage on any other regular bout but i think Karo should have been given the extra chance. His arms were not completely limp, he wasnt frozen stiff like Houston.