getting advanced in judo

I am trying to understand the progression that one goes through in becoming advanced in judo.

1) Initially, judoka concentrate on their basic attributes (balance, timing); physical conditioning (endurance, grip and core strength); and mechanical understanding execution of the techniques

2) later, judoka learn how to make a technique their own; learn counters and combinations, general strategies to employ their fave thechniques. I especially notice this in competitors

what comes after that? what seperates a good shodan or nidan from someone who has moved towards mastery of judo?
I'm thinking of less tangible factors such as sensitivity to opponent's movements, adavnced sense of timing rhythm etc.

I'd like to hear what some of the advanced guys think

Mark

ahhhh practice and um a good coach always helps...

I'm not what I would call advanced, but I'm pretty sure you go back and do it all over again.

"what comes after that? what seperates a good shodan or nidan from someone who has moved towards mastery of judo?"

It would be the fact that the master no longer has to think about these things they have just become the way he does things. His judo is always at least one step ahead of yours. He feels your next move and is already made himself safe and ready to attack with his own technique. He doesn't struggle because he knows that your unbalanced or not and won't waste effort when it doesn't benefit him.

Yuko = master of the obvious

"what comes after that? what seperates a good shodan or nidan from someone who has moved towards mastery of judo? I'm thinking of less tangible factors such as sensitivity to opponent's movements, adavnced sense of timing rhythm etc."

In my opinion, a good shodan or nidan HAS moved towards mastery of Judo, but of course has not mastered it yet. You never really master Judo, it's to broad and complex. Of course, you'd have to define "mastery" first I guess.

Sensitivity, timing, etc., are a result of constant proper practice and mindfullness. Proper practice is pretty broad, but involves, in my opinion and experience, always paying proper attention to the basics of movement, posture, gripping, and mechanics of the various throws and ground techniques, and the complex interaction of those basic elements. There is no substitue for practice with a good teacher/coach, and a variety of partners. Plus, not relying on pet techniques, always learning new things, and working on your improvement needs, and being open minded enough to realize that you DO need to improve.

Ben R.