Getting back in shape- Tips?

Holy shit. I have fallen so far out of shape. I'm 155 lbs, so not a problem with weight gain, but I tried to go running for the first time in a long time and almost died.

I'm going into the navy next year so I figured I'd run 3 miles and try to improve my time. I almost passed out on the sidewalk- blurry vision, ears pounding, etc. Was trying to push it and not be a pussy but I guess I just don't have it anymore.

Any tips? Start smaller? Weights? I'm attempting to change my diet right now as well.

Start slowly OP

SplintnWilds Love Child -

IM pretty sure the nazy has a program to get you in shape for their requirements

The New Zealand SAS does so the navy should, maybe sucking dick for time?

JK

Id suggest running then walking then running again when you feel okay, going extra hard in the beginning will get you injured and two steps behind 

I used to run 10 miles a day in my youth so I didn't think anything of 3 miles, but time has not been kind. That, and I just quit smoking last Sept so my cardio is shit now.

Do a couch to 5k program. It will feel way too easy, but it will get you started without hurting yourself. When you regularly get to 3 mile runs, on the program, go from there. Improvements will come quickly. But don't let them come too quickly.

Do a lifting program like stronglifts 5x5. 3x per week. 30 to 40 minutes a pop. Maybe even more like 15-20 mins when you are first starting with the light weights. 

Easy, easy, easy for at least a month or two.

ufc98newb -

Do a couch to 5k program. It will feel way too easy, but it will get you started without hurting yourself. When you regularly get to 3 mile runs, on the program, go from there. Improvements will come quickly. But don't let them come too quickly.

Do a lifting program like stronglifts 5x5. 3x per week. 30 to 40 minutes a pop. Maybe even more like 15-20 mins when you are first starting with the light weights. 

This is pretty sound advice

Swimming laps seems to be great cardio 

Take a preworkout 

In

Put a steak in your shorts and have a hungry dog chase you. You just need motivation. 

I'm assuming you'll be going out for the SEALs so I'd recommend carrying an inflatable raft on all your runs to get ready.

ufc98newb -

I'll look into that thanks.

If your recruiter is worth a shit, he should be helping you with this. Thats what they are there for, to prepare you for bootcamp. 

And stay away from the three white powders you find in the kitchen, Salt, Sugar and Flour. Those are the enemy. 

BrowBeater - My wife and focused on cutting out carbs back in December. No bread, no pasta.

Since December, my wife has lost 20 pounds! She just had a baby, so she's been wanting to lose the baby weight she gained. I've lost 5 pounds, but I definitely see a difference when I look in the mirror.

No carbs, no bread, no sugar.
I don't need weight loss, if anything I could stand to gain a few pounds. But I'll be cutting sugar and wheat/refined flour out due to a Candida overgrowth. I work nights so I drink Mt.dew like I breathe air and I was working a second job as a bartender before so the yeasty beer and sugar created a monster in my gut. It led to nasty rashes on my chest and face and horrible dandruff.

I noticed when I cut out the flour and sugar it disappears.

SplintnWilds Love Child -
BrowBeater - My wife and focused on cutting out carbs back in December. No bread, no pasta.

Since December, my wife has lost 20 pounds! She just had a baby, so she's been wanting to lose the baby weight she gained. I've lost 5 pounds, but I definitely see a difference when I look in the mirror.

No carbs, no bread, no sugar.

Awesome stratergy to reach his specific goals 

Ill use this myself to up the cardio capacity 

In my specific case its related. I was lookin into systemic yeast infections and found a story of a guy younger than me who died and autopsy revealed his heart was literally encrusted with yeast. Scary!

TFK_Fanboy - hey op, want to do a couch to 5k program together? I need to start one myself
I'm down man. We can be accountabilibuddies.

BJTT_Pella -

If your recruiter is worth a shit, he should be helping you with this. Thats what they are there for, to prepare you for bootcamp. 

And stay away from the three white powders you find in the kitchen, Salt, Sugar and Flour. Those are the enemy. 

Still working on getting my neck tat removed (its like 80% gone) so they basically told me they can't really officially work with me until I fit criteria for recruitment.

BJTT_Pella -

And cocaine