Getting better at chess

I usually blunder a lot.

5 Likes

Work on puzzles. I stop playing a lot and my skill falls off quick. Puzzles get you better fast.

3 Likes

Good job bud! Keep at it!

1 Like

I was playing a lot on chess.com recently. But the more I played during the day, the worse my insomnia got. I went cold turkey and am now sleeping like a baby. It never caused me insomnia years ago when I played so not sure what’s going on in my brain.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Sleep well, amino.

This game was ugly! I was down 12 pts. but I came back and won!

1 Like

2 Likes

Terrible day.

Chess is pain. Why am I choosing this punishment? :confused:

Finally beat the Nelson bot.

1 Like

Are your losses to 300 level players bullet or blitz?

1 Like

Confused. What defense are you running? Or are you just winging it?

1 Like

Rapid

1 Like

Good job!

Not sure what it’s called, but I usually start with kings pawn to 4, then same side knight to…F3? Then the Queens pawn to 4. After that things usually get crazy.

2 Likes

If you beat the Nelson bot you should be above 600. Unless you’ve been playing games that don’t have as much time control when you go against human players but against the bots you take all the time you need. I was told to do 30 minute games when starting out and I’m still playing 30 minute games.

I’ve been playing fast. I suppose I will try to slow down.

Sounds like they Ruy Martinez. It’s sort of like the Ruy Lopez, but fatter and slightly retarded.

Read up on openings. The Ruy Lopez is one of the most common openings. Every skill level uses it from beginners to grand masters. It’s a great opening and one of my favorites.

3 Likes

Almost got to 1300 on chess.com. Watched some videos of grandmasters teaching kids. Picked an opening. Practiced. Made mistakes. Figured out a few closing sequences. Middle game is a work in progress.

2 Likes

You would be surprised how much your chess game gets better once you actually look into legit openings and defenses. Big jump.

1 Like

Chess is the best game in the world. I play on chess.com but only 3 minute blitz games. Any longer and you run into a whole slew of cheaters. I usually hover somewhere around 1700 but it tends to fluctuate.

1 Like