Getting first gun tomorrow tme

Arglebargle BBC 4eva - Panic, you still up north or around cincy again? I'm no expert but I own a few and could show you some basics--safety, cleaning, shooting, etc.

The biggest thing I see inexperienced people do is put their finger in the trigger or inside the trigger guard before they're ready to fire. Keep that finger up on the slide until it is time to fire.
Yeah I am in madisonville right of mariemont square. I would appreciate the instructions for sure. I want to be a responsible gun owner. Phone Post 3.0

panic686 - 
Arglebargle BBC 4eva - Panic, you still up north or around cincy again? I'm no expert but I own a few and could show you some basics--safety, cleaning, shooting, etc.

The biggest thing I see inexperienced people do is put their finger in the trigger or inside the trigger guard before they're ready to fire. Keep that finger up on the slide until it is time to fire.
Yeah I am in madisonville right of mariemont square. I would appreciate the instructions for sure. I want to be a responsible gun owner. Phone Post 3.0

Trust me dude, your already a responsible gun owner. The fact your so safety conscious before you even own a gun speaks volumes.

Don't stick your finger in the barrel before shooting. It will backfire and blow up in your face.

Congrats.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here.

Take a quality basic handgun class, then consider more advanced training. Memorize those four basic safety rules until you can recite them in your sleep.

Without question, muzzle discipline is the most important of all of them. Imagine that there is a laser coming out of the barrel 24/7. That laser NEVER shines on another person unless you intend to kill them. Every time that gun is in your hand, you should be 100% aware of where that muzzle is pointed.

Finally, JOIN THE NRA. No, they're not perfect--no organizaiton is. Just remember, there are plenty of people--quite a few of them loaded rich like Bloomturd--who would like to see that gun confiscated from you. Ask any liberal asswipe--from Clinton to Barry. All of them have long been on the record that if not for the NRA, they would have basically made this country Europe with regard to gun laws.

Spend the money and join.

panic686 - 

Well hell, we're 15 minutes away. Let me know when you've picked it up and are ready to meet in northern ky. There's a range five minutes from my house in independence.

panic686 - 9....thought it was better to start learning there.

I've been interested in starting to own guns for awhile so I am excited to finally start the first step. However, I want to make sure that I show the proper respect to the weapon. I don't want to be the person who scares everyone else on the range. Phone Post 3.0
Get a lesson from the people who run the range. Shoot a good bit after the lesson to ingrain what you learned.

Once you get comfortable with the manipulations and can shoot decent groups, spend the money on a quality pistol class, 2 or 3 days long Phone Post 3.0

GaryG -
RULE 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

RULE 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

RULE 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
That covers it.

If you've never shot before I'd recommend finding cheap ammo for your gun or borrowing a gun you can get cheap ammo for ti practice. Ammo gets expensive quick now, especially 22. Phone Post 3.0

Also get a small gun safe. Cheaper ones are only like $40 and available at walmart. Phone Post 3.0

When you clean it, for the love of god, CHECK TO SEE IF ITS LOADED. Phone Post 3.0

Arglebargle BBC 4eva -
panic686 - 

Well hell, we're 15 minutes away. Let me know when you've picked it up and are ready to meet in northern ky. There's a range five minutes from my house in independence.
Actually getting it from outside of independence today. Definitely would be down for coming over for a visit Phone Post 3.0

I did a review of gun belts on the weapons forum. Advice is get a good gun belt, a thick one from Walmart doesn't cut it and when you buy one you feel the difference.

Google a local club for USPSA, IDPA or Steele Challenge. You got a 9mm, perfect for competition and great cost. All you have to do is have a gun, magazines and holsters, call, they will tell you how to get there, then on the first day let them know you are new and everyone is friendly and will help you.

We have a sporting goods place called Dick's here, they constantly have deals on ammunition.

Don't let it sit, go shoot and have fun.

And in case no one mentioned it, keep your finger off the trigger and assume all guns are loaded.