Getting My Accounting Degree This Summer AMA, TME

I'm completing my degree this summer (currently lack 24 credit hours). When should I look for a job, how do I network, what kind of pay can I expect? Also, if anyone has any questions fire away

You going after a CPA?  Can't go wrong.

AlphaSlap - 

Yup! And likely a CFE, as well. I'm hoping to find an employer that will pay for the test prep materials

I'm a CPA with a small practice and had several different type of accounting jobs.

Getting your first job is hard since no one wants an accountant without experience.

There are three main types of accounting jobs...

Tax
Audit
Financial

Working in tax a first year person at a small firm is an assistant 35k after two years become a staff accountant 45-50k senior 65k get a CPA become a manager 85k max out maybe 90k at a small to mid size firm. Long hours okay pay some extra vacation time in the off season but you will be working 8am to 8pm from January to April 6 days a week.

Audit there is a lot of travel need to start out as an intern long hours all year long at least 10 a day five days a week. Pay is about 30k for intern/assistant, 50k associate, Sr associate after a couple years 60k, supervisor 80k, audit manager 100k, Sr manager 140k.

Financial is the best such as a internal controller at a company but you need to be an auditor at some point controllers can make 100-200k depending on the size of the company. Stable hours maybe 40-45 a week pretty cush.

Accounting is a very stable job but you work with a lot of asshole type A people with no lives who will work all day and night and you have to do it too to keep up. Everyone throws everyone under the bus and politics are huge believe it or not. This is why I started my own practice.

Good luck! Phone Post 3.0

First job in the industry after my accounting degree was auditing in a small practice.

55k +5.5k into an investment account, and full benefits for an entry level position. No cpa, though im studying for it. Very, very difficult.
Lots of traveling. If you have a family, it is very hard on you. All my coworkers but one are single and no kids. They all cope with it, but one female in her early 30s is having it get to her.

Unless youre in a big firm, I think finding someone to pay for your cpa prep is difficult.

Getting in with no experience is going to be tough. Its one of the most popular degrees right now, with limited positions.

Auditing is great in terms of learning every aspect of accounting (A, L, E & Rev/Exp) so itll carry on with you if/when your decide to get out of audit.

For a first year/no experience cpa candidate, Phone Post 3.0

norcal3737 - First job in the industry after my accounting degree was auditing in a small practice.

55k +5.5k into an investment account, and full benefits for an entry level position. No cpa, though im studying for it. Very, very difficult.
Lots of traveling. If you have a family, it is very hard on you. All my coworkers but one are single and no kids. They all cope with it, but one female in her early 30s is having it get to her.

Unless youre in a big firm, I think finding someone to pay for your cpa prep is difficult.

Getting in with no experience is going to be tough. Its one of the most popular degrees right now, with limited positions.

Auditing is great in terms of learning every aspect of accounting (A, L, E & Rev/Exp) so itll carry on with you if/when your decide to get out of audit.

*you'll likely end up in auditing. Embrace it, and take it all in.
Tax is tough. My mom's in that field, and during tax season, she is always swamped working very long hours. Phone Post 3.0

Death and Taxes - Good luck, OP! Phone Post 3.0

Thank you!

deedzBJJ - I'm a CPA with a small practice and had several different type of accounting jobs.

Getting your first job is hard since no one wants an accountant without experience.

There are three main types of accounting jobs...

Tax
Audit
Financial

Working in tax a first year person at a small firm is an assistant 35k after two years become a staff accountant 45-50k senior 65k get a CPA become a manager 85k max out maybe 90k at a small to mid size firm. Long hours okay pay some extra vacation time in the off season but you will be working 8am to 8pm from January to April 6 days a week.

Audit there is a lot of travel need to start out as an intern long hours all year long at least 10 a day five days a week. Pay is about 30k for intern/assistant, 50k associate, Sr associate after a couple years 60k, supervisor 80k, audit manager 100k, Sr manager 140k.

Financial is the best such as a internal controller at a company but you need to be an auditor at some point controllers can make 100-200k depending on the size of the company. Stable hours maybe 40-45 a week pretty cush.

Accounting is a very stable job but you work with a lot of asshole type A people with no lives who will work all day and night and you have to do it too to keep up. Everyone throws everyone under the bus and politics are huge believe it or not. This is why I started my own practice.

Good luck! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the info!

norcal3737 - First job in the industry after my accounting degree was auditing in a small practice.

Do you think it's better to go with a big firm or a small firm? My grandmother owns a small tax service and I was thinking of expanding it. She currently has two locations

T?bikan J?dan - 
AlphaSlap - 

Yup! And likely a CFE, as well. I'm hoping to find an employer that will pay for the test prep materials

Good move; become a forensic accountant.

Endless opportunity and fraud investigations are fun !!!

In, I have a degree in finance and I'm going to take the enrolled agent course in January and eventually go for cpa...any advice would be appreciated Phone Post 3.0

OP you can make a lot more if you expand the firm but you really need to learn tax and quickbooks your accounting degree is useless in the real application if accounting. Phone Post 3.0

deedzBJJ - OP you can make a lot more if you expand the firm but you really need to learn tax and quickbooks your accounting degree is useless in the real application if accounting. Phone Post 3.0

That's pretty much what I figured. I guess I'll work for a firm for a few years before going out on my own

A huge percentage of small firm owners are going to be retiring soon and haven't let anyone "buy in" as partners and now they are stuck with a business they can sell but no one to sell it too. There are opportunities out there to get a job with some old timers, schmooze Jr and buy in for cheap and have a ready made biness. (grain of salt, I just heard this from an accounting professor)

T?bikan J?dan - 
norcal3737 - First job in the industry after my accounting degree was auditing in a small practice.

Do you think it's better to go with a big firm or a small firm? My grandmother owns a small tax service and I was thinking of expanding it. She currently has two locations

A small firm might be better.

I have coworkers that had friends or family that worked for a Big4. They really break you down. Very long, hard hours, and you're just a pawn.

My coworker's husband was in a big4, and she said after seeing how hard he was worked, you couldn't pay her enough to work there (and apparently neither did he, as he left after a year).

If your grandmother is a CPA, and has a tax service...work under her, get the hours you need under a CPA and see if you like doing tax, or want to move elsewhere.

It'll be better for you as you will need a little more leniency to study for the CPA. it's going to consume you for the next 18months.