Getting our first dog. TME

Getting a pure bred lab puppy in a couple of weeks. Looking at leashes, leads and other accessories. Let me know the good brands and any other tips about getting our first dog. Cheers OG!! Also Happy New Year!! Phone Post 3.0

Yo blokes!! Phone Post 3.0

Feed him quality food. Phone Post 3.0

tylervic - Getting a pure bred lab puppy in a couple of weeks. Looking at leashes, leads and other accessories. Let me know the good brands and any other tips about getting our first dog. Cheers OG!! Also Happy New Year!! Phone Post 3.0

I recommend the Gentle Leader. In case you don't know -- it's a head collar that fits around the back of the neck and bridge of the nose. It still allows the dog to open their mouth. It gives better control of your dog until they learn how to walk properly on their leash. FYI - you'll still need to buy a leash (I think they might sell some Gentle Leaders with a cheap leash and without. The higher price would indicate with leash). I tried simply attaching the leash to his collar vs the Gentle Leader -- the Gentle Leader was much easier and faster to teach him because it controls his head, whereas a leash attached to a collar -- you're dealing with his neck and the rest of his body.

In terms of leash...I can't remember the brand I use but I have one that has some type of reflective coating that is great at night.

I have a black lab so I use a reflective dog vest when we go out, so that he is more visible to cars. They sell them on-line but you can also make them yourself pretty easily and for cheap. I was able to make 2 vests for my dog from an old jogging reflective vest I had when I was a kid. A couple other vests were made with some old clothes with bright orange and yellow duct tape attached and sewn on. I added a large outside pocket to all the vests so that he can carry his own shit after I clean up after him on his walks. I have another pocket where he carries his plastic bags and some pages from the newspaper for cleanup.

I use one of those Nike shoe bags to carry around his tennis balls, water jug (I picked one up in Japan that has a small squeeze bottle with a rubber screw top and a elongated dish that you can snap the water bottle into when carrying and then use as a water dish. I don't know the brand but I'm sure many pet stores locally have them too), and a Chuckit stick. The Chuckit stick is about the length of your forearm and let you fling Chuckit balls or tennis balls with little to no effort and without having to touch the Chuckit balls or tennis balls. If your dog loves to play fetch, your arm will appreciate using the Chuckit stick compared to simply baseball throwing.

Finally, get your dog micro chipped and keep the info updated (you can do it online).

Hope this helps.

Hody

Pick a good food is the top tip.

Also there will probably come a point before the dog is a year old that you think "Why the fuck did I do this?", it will pass. There was a point with mine that they wouldn't pick up training and just caused mayhem at about 9 months. After that point they got a lot more chilled out and smart.

I would recommend also check out a couple of local vets to see what medical packages they include. For example, mine offered "Puppy care", which included all the shots a puppy would need their 1st year, unlimited exam visits, and spay/neutering (but didn't include the cost of the post-surgery protective neck cone). I crunched the numbers and I saved a couple hundred dollars by signing up for the "Puppy care" instead of doing everything individually. Of course, you can save some money by going to the local pet store and getting the 1st year shots and trying to find some place that does discount spay/neutering, but the convenience of it all, was worth it for me. Plus, I could take him to get checked out as many times as I wanted for free during that 1st year. However, any additional medicines and/or surgeries were extra but at least I didn't have to pay for their $70+ exam fee.

Hody

Dogs are awesome! That's all you need to know. Phone Post 3.0

I came on to suggest microchipping but the awesome poster above had that covered along with a ton of great advice. VU for him.

Labs are one of the most lovable and willing to please breeds out there. They tend to chew and have high energy. Raw bones are great for teething and chewing. One you boil a bone, it gets brittle and splinters, even knuckle and marrow bones can splinter. So raw if you can tolerate the image. Marrow or knuckle only, if you boil.

No turkey. No chicken. No t-bones. No ham. Not worth the risk of a sliced intestine.

Teach the pup early that's it's okay to take things out of his mouth. Especially food. Reward the hell outta him. They love praise and treats. They are smart. Mine learned to open the chain link gate, had to lock it with a padlock. She was a digger, as well. She loved tomatoes and peaches. And watermelon. Phone Post 3.0

MUST have - Elk antler chew. Don't get one cut in half lengthwise either, as they'll break down easy. The full, round antler. This one product will save your furniture, shoes, carpet... all potential teething targets. They are expensive as hell but will last quite awhile (our monster shepherds take the better part of a year to gnaw them away). Get one about the size of your dogs head if possible.

We also took our dogs to pretty intensive training at this place; http://www.adamsk-9.com/

I'd recommend something along those lines as new dog owners. Your life with your dog will be much more enjoyable when you learn how to work with them from a place like that. Just one example, our dogs walk everywhere, staying on our left hip, no leash or loose leash, until we give them the okay to go crazy (yards, woods, etc). It's been a lot of work but we've enjoyed working with the dogs like that. Part of the experience IMO.

Your dog will screw up and drive you nuts sometimes, but just love him and train him and your little buddy will be a great addition to your family!

DO RESEARCH B4 BUYIN DOG. MY GF DIDNT, AND GOT AN INBRED  GOLDEN RRETRIEVER WITH BAD HIPS. $4,000 SURGERY AND TONS OF REHAB. 

pure bred anything is often inbred

Watch Zak George on you tube! Excellent training videos! Phone Post 3.0

HillaryClintonsCuckold - Get a mutt, less health problems. Phone Post 3.0

Second this, get a mutt.

It's very rewarding to rescue a dog from the local shelter.
They know that you saved them and they will love you for life.

If your serious about tips: Get you new dog exercise and socialization.
Spend time with him.

Get a good shock collar. I recommend the tri-tronics trash breaker.

Barnicale Bill - Feed him quality food. Phone Post 3.0
Best advice.

The shit sold in Walmart and grocery stores is really bad quality (despite healthy labeling pictures and marketing).

Check out dog food review websites and give that pup quality food. Phone Post 3.0

Crate training is a good thing. Phone Post 3.0

iFish - You should seriously consider crate training. Read up on it, watch vids and follow through properly. Any short term pain will pay off for both you and the dog.

Walk the dog daily. Not just a 10 min stroll, a good walk. First dog? Learn how to properly walk a dog right from the beginning. It's takes perseverance, but will pay off.

Introduce the dog to water as early as possible and take it swimming often. It's what they are born to do.

There has to be rules and discipline. If you do it properly your dog will respect you AND trust you.

You chose a great breed, it's your responsibility to let it be a lab. Good luck!

Here's mine.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/ifish7/Dog/F38D54AB-0A03-4B10-8F84-FE985E0D896F_zps2sjmq2wv.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/ifish7/Dog/59ECAC61-EC2A-49CC-9F6D-EC07EC04A138_zpst8qw7nyd.jpg Phone Post 3.0

This fucking guy.

Dropped the truth.

My family wants a Portugese Water Dog.

I'm looking at all of this shit about crates, walks, swimming, etc...

ranier wolfcastle -

DO RESEARCH B4 BUYIN DOG. MY GF DIDNT, AND GOT AN INBRED  GOLDEN RRETRIEVER WITH BAD HIPS. $4,000 SURGERY AND TONS OF REHAB. 

pure bred anything is often inbred

Not necessarily. If the parents are papered, alway ask to see the pedigree. My collie came from show stock, she had line breeding, not inbreeding two generations back.

But yeah, inbreeding causes untold genetic havoc. That's why puppy mills and pet stores suck so bad. Phone Post 3.0

Meastt -
Barnicale Bill - Feed him quality food. Phone Post 3.0
Best advice.

The shit sold in Walmart and grocery stores is really bad quality (despite healthy labeling pictures and marketing).

Check out dog food review websites and give that pup quality food. Phone Post 3.0
Www.dogfoodadvisor.com Phone Post 3.0

If you let your dog into the backyard for a little leg stretching time,you will need to watch them the ENTIRE time. Why? Somebody could come dognap your little buddy is why. Sound ridiculous?

It is. Thank the OG poster named DiSmAnTLer for this stupid tip.

Discipline/training - there's many schools of thought on how to discipline/train your dog. Whatever method you decide, imprint that method early so your puppy knows you and whoever else you decide, are the Alphas.

Doing little things will pay off huge later on when your puppy gets bigger and stronger. For example, some dogs can be food aggressive - just watch any Cesar Millan vid (I'm not saying his style is the the best or worst) and you can see many cases of dogs biting people, including their owners, when they get near food. I trained my puppy early not to be food aggressive. I or anyone else I know, including my friend's little kids, can put their hands inside his food bowl while eating and my dog never bites or even makes any aggressive sounds. This is also the case when taking away his toys and bones, even if they are in his mouth. I also trained him to sit down and look at me and wait until I say "O.K." before he eats anything we give him. I was worried about him eating something random while out on our walks or someone else feeding him something that might be bad for him -- so he waits for my "O.K." before eating.

Socialize -- Unless you plan on your puppy becoming some Rambo killer type guard dog that ends up being on the news for chewing up someone's face, socialize them as much as possible with other dogs. It's pretty easy when they're a puppy, most other dog owners will be open to introducing your puppy to their dog, and forgiving if your puppy is too excited and jumps around.

Coconut oil - I mix coconut oil into his food and sometimes into his water, if I think he's not drinking enough. I did some online research and also spoke with my Vet. Basically, all the health benefits that coconut oil has for humans goes the same for dogs. Don't waste your money on the small ass expensive coconut oil at the pet shop, get the big ass tub at your local grocery store that you would use for yourself. I buy two jars, one that I keep in the garage for my dog and the other I use for me in the kitchen. When the jar in the kitchen runs low, I fill it up with warm water and put in in my dog's water bowl.

Fish Oil - Same as coconut oil - I did some online research and spoke with my Vet. Similar health benefits for us as with dogs. I give my dog one pill in the morning and one in the evening with his meal. I take the pill and later peanut butter on it. I have water mixed with some coconut oil next to his food bowl to ensure the pill doesn't get stuck. Again, don't bother with the shit at the pet shop, I give my dog the same shit I use.

Coconut oil and fish oil - many health benefits. Also a bit of preventative health measures. Many dogs have hip issues as they grow older. Although there is no 100% guarantee they won't develop this even with coconut and fish oil, my Vet agreed with me that if cost is not an issue, it's worth continuing to give my dog, simply for all the other health benefits.

Hope this helps.

Hody