Getting sponsored is hard.

Well last night I held an open training session. I had planned it for about a month in Advance. The local sports reporter did a few stories on me and had helped me out a lot.

I went about creating a professional letter inviting bigger local businesses. I handed out about 25 of those. I made it very clear that the mood should be casual and basically invited anyone else who wanted to come watch.

I was very very excited for this and was hoping to get at least a couple of the businesses to come out and see what I can do and how hard I train.

0 businesses showed up. about 17 kids and a few of their parents came out. I'll consider it a win however as I feel I may have made a few new fans.

Any suggestions on better ways of obtaining sponsorship...?

Win fights and network my friend.

Wouldnt have hurt to have worn like a camisole top or something...you know..sexy it up a bit.

HOSEGOOD is correct

TTT for one of Canada's rising stars!

most sponsorship is shit. free tshirts etc. You got to be the best of the best to get anything lucrative. or lucky. What now chuck lidell is suing xyience for money owed ? they didnt give fickett the 200 bucks he got for wearing their logo.

When Curtis Stout was fighting overseas he was a big draw in england, he had his fights plastered all over tv, cell phones etc. I tried to hook up even small sponsors for his shorts anything. Some people offered free shorts. It was a joke. We opted to forget about the hassle and just fight. Hope he can get back on track and make another run.

"I went about creating a professional letter inviting bigger local businesses. I handed out about 25 of those. I made it very clear that the mood should be casual and basically invited anyone else who wanted to come watch.

I was very very excited for this and was hoping to get at least a couple of the businesses to come out and see what I can do and how hard I train.

0 businesses showed up. about 17 kids and a few of their parents came out. I'll consider it a win however as I feel I may have made a few new fans.

Any suggestions on better ways of obtaining sponsorship...?"

You've gotta look at this like any other type of marketing campaign, which means that you've got to have a message that appeals to their interests, you've got to expect a 1% or so response rate, and you've got to get out of the idea that them seeing how hard you train will equal them giving you dollars...

Consider this: How many wrestlers have YOU given money to, just because they train hard? If the answer is 0, then you know how these businesses feel (and they're even less interested, since as a fighter you'd have an inherent respect for the training required to compete... most business owners don't know or care)

You have to appeal to the following:
1. Doing something good for a member of the community (ie free publicity when you get newspaper stories, talking about how it wouldn't have been possible without the generous support of X business)

1. Advertising in the form of you fighting in local shows and giving them their due in the ring (IE thanking them by name after wins, etc)

2. Direct advertising using you (IE "I put my body through hell as a professional fighter, but a massage from X makes me feel like new. If she can make me feel 100%, she can certainly take care of all of your aches and pains."

So what you want to do is find businesses that could benefit from sponsoring you, then make it CRYSTAL clear how they could benefit from it, THEN tell them how easy it is, and what a good bargain and great idea it is for them to do it.

Brian Green what's up......How's your shoulder....?

Win more fights, and have a sponsor kit that shows what the direct value of sponsoring you is. Gross media impressions that you generate etc. Also why isn't your manager handling this?

You know what else is hard?

Me...everytime I'm in a vietnamese restaurant. I just had the best Pho..and cute viet waitress....fun!

Take a look at the sponsors at the events that you attend and fight in. These are companies that have already declared their interest in the category.

My manager and I set this up. I gave away some free KOTC gloves and about 10 T-Shirts. I think it was all in all a positive experience.

I am 4-0 and hope to be 8-0 by the end of the year. I guess I'll just keep trying and use the lack of larger business turnout as fuel for training. I know most of the owners of the businesses as I am from a small community in Northern Alberta.

It just kind of sucks knowing that the Town I grew up in, and represent with Honor and Pride when I fight, doesn't seem all that interested in supporting me.

There is an annual Golf Tournament and Banquet coming up on the 23rd of June which I have been asked to speak at. I am very very thankul for this opportunity and will be making a generous MMA gear and clothing donation to the silent auction.

The invite to speak at this event is very exciting for me and it will be my first large scale public speaking appearance.

You have to show them how you will get them exposure. Like how many people usually attend the events you will be at. Let them know about any of the other sponsers you have and how you have helped them. Let them know about any web coverage you can give them ie my space or your own personal web site or possible fan club. How many people attend the gym or come by them gym you train at. Any activities that you do that will show you in a positive light ie community service or big brother programs etc.. Anything that might get them exposure they are not currently getting..hope this make a little sense at least.

call tapout

ask for mask, punkass or skyscrape

Nice post by Hitman, and he alludes to things that I think as well.

Even little things, however, help.  Say thank you, look people in the eye, show your appreciation.  Be loyal.  Send pictures thanking your sponsors, etc.

ttt

ttt

I went downtown looking for sponsors. The police gave me a citation for panhandling.... wtf is up with that shit?

I got all mine via Myspace and friends of mine that own businesses.

There are TONS of companies on myspace. get to searchin. Its annoying and repetitive but it can pay off.

Win fights spectacualrly.

Do you have a high % flashy move?

I like the spinning backick, something that excites the crowd, makes you stand out.

Stand out, win, and get sponsored.

GL!