Gi belts and their untyingness

If there's an existing thread I apologize for the rehash and would anyone be so kind as to give me a link to it?

Otherwise, I have an OTM belt and it will not stay tied through warmups, drilling, sparring, walking off the mat to get water or if I look at it wrong. Tried a Gameness too and it is just as bad. Any recommendations? Thanks.

By the way, just went to the Jiu Jitsu Pro Gear store today and picked up Koral Light gi. This thing is awesome. I can't wait to get on the mat with it. I almost got the belt but thought I'd ask you guys before I spent the money.

dont loop the belt under the bottom part tie it relson or rickson style. it stays tied better and gets tighter the more you roll. it wont fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z93sqY-gMo

Thanks man. I will try it tomorrow in class.

I guess the belts are pretty much all of the same construction then.

I'm one of those dudes whose belt falls apart the moment I starting doing anything it.

Might try it this way too.

This is how I do it and it works very, very, well. It gets tighter throughout class many times.

^that vid is the best method i've come accross on the net.

I just tie mine the traditional Japanese way. I learned it when I was 17. Now it's thirty years later and it rarely comes off. I don't see the issue . . . . ;)

that knot in the vid is awesome. i've been training 10 years and have never seen that.

that vid is an awesome way to tie a new stiff belt during training.

during training your belt shouldn't untie all the time.

now for tournies thats a different story.

I had a judo coach that would geet unruly mad if your belt kept coming off during training. he came over yelling at me one day and showed me that knot and yelled "this training, not fight....learn to tie a knot"

coop

when i get promoted i will try the way from that vid. my belt is so old and crappy now it doesnt even matter.

Baroquen Record - when i get promoted i will try the way from that vid. my belt is so old and crappy now it doesnt even matter.

once belts get older and thinner you can suck the knots up better.

but it works great for new belts. only crappy part is if you need to untie your belt to fix your gi top. takes an hour.

coop

yeah i been wearing my current belt for like 4 1/2 years the thing doesnt come untied ever.

I like when my belt falls off. I really don't like rolling with my belt on. I even loosen it up before the roll starts. The faster it falls off...the better IMO...

Ryukyu Damashi - I like when my belt falls off. I really don't like rolling with my belt on. I even loosen it up before the roll starts. The faster it falls off...the better IMO...

thats a great theory for tournies but a crappy one for training. you shouldn't be looking for cheats while you are training.

if you ae trying to eliminate handles why dont you just wear shorts?

training is for getting better and loosening your belt before you wrestle is being disrespectful to your training partner.

my $.02

coop

i get better handles on people when they dont have a belt on. i like when their lapels are loose. makes it easier to wra them up, other wise i have to manually remove the lapel from their belt which can be a pain in the ass.

Baroquen Record - i get better handles on people when they dont have a belt on. i like when their lapels are loose. makes it easier to wra them up, other wise i have to manually remove the lapel from their belt which can be a pain in the ass.

having the lapels out and belt still tied is best for me. i use the belt for a lot of grips while i tie up hands.

there's nothing i like more than having a guy squished underneath me while pulling his lapels out. he knows its about to get shi++y but cant do anything about it. thats when the 10 years of judo comes in handy.

coop

i wear an atama and the couple of times that i have forgotten it and had to wear borrowed belts i really noticed how much easier the borrowed ones came untied. they were generic TMA belts.

yeAH that is exaclty the way my instructor tied his..i kept trying to do it like that but i have to think too muchlol but...it does work n is the best way to keep the belt on .