Gi or no gi for self defense?

We have a discussion about the best training for competition, how about for using Bjj for its original intention?

Gi or no gi? Both?

Both.

When do you need to use self defense? What will you be wearing? I’m not saying train in a t-shirt and means, but to me no-gi makes more sense. 

ABCTT_BullyKiller - 

When do you need to use self defense? What will you be wearing? I’m not saying train in a t-shirt and means, but to me no-gi makes more sense. 

How can NOT knowing how to use clothing in a fight be better than knowing how to use it?

ABCTT_BullyKiller -

LOL....If someone wearing any kind of jacket, im running them through a wall. If not....I still running most people tjrough a wall. We used to drill in uniforms, and lbv/lbe gear. I was recently in seattle, EVERYBODY HAD COATS ON. If you never been gripped by someone who knows how to use it, you have no idea how much it sucks.

Connected striking with a grip is brutal, and just one more tool to go without clothig grip.

Like shennstated...BOTH

In cold climates gi

Hot climates no gi

shen - 
ABCTT_BullyKiller - 

How can NOT knowing how to use clothing in a fight be better than knowing how to use it?

this

PerformativeGayBDSM -
Sgt. Slaphead -
ABCTT_BullyKiller -

LOL....If someone wearing any kind of jacket, im running them through a wall. If not....I still running most people tjrough a wall. We used to drill in uniforms, and lbv/lbe gear. I was recently in seattle, EVERYBODY HAD COATS ON. If you never been gripped by someone who knows how to use it, you have no idea how much it sucks.

Connected striking with a grip is brutal, and just one more tool to go without clothig grip.

Like shennstated...BOTH

So gi, no gi, and Judo... that's a lot of classes to fit in every day. Also, you really think you're running someone who has wrestled into a wall, no matter what they are wearing?

Not arguing as much as trying to get you to convince me to train Judo. I need motivation to stick with something I'm not going to get the hang of for years.

choose something, lay a base of skill. learn or figure out how to adapt skills you develop supplemen5 as time permlts its or as you see fit after you laid foundation.

if choose jiujitsu....make it a place 5he has pressure orient3d style like described in other forum 5hreads. Like i stat3d in o5he r5hread.....pressure style is a better default.

if choose judo, make it someplce the does well in competition......5he intensity and pressure is useful for defensive purposes.

or f8nd kyokushin karate or offshoot. Hopefully they real of reals, not kinder gentler modern times faggotry.

CHOOSE ONE THING AND FUKIN TRAIN.

True story- when I was a teenager I fought a kid at the beach in nothing but board shorts, then fought him again later that night at the movies while we both had on jeans and hoodies. 

I got beat up both times but knowing how to use both would have helped me tremendously.

Actually knowing anything would have helped me tremendously. 

things to see people to do -

True story- when I was a teenager I fought a kid at the beach in nothing but board shorts, then fought him again later that night at the movies while we both had on jeans and hoodies. 

I got beat up both times but knowing how to use both would have helped me tremendously.

knowing how to fight would have been even worse for me as a teen.......I already had a police baton, mk1 dagger, homemade napalm, IEDs, and a suppressed carbine before I had a drivers license.

LOL...of course Im kidding! I read a lot of comics, wish I had trained instead.

Sgt. Slaphead -

knowing how to fight would have been even worse for me as a teen.......I already had a police baton, mk1 dagger, homemade napalm, IEDs, and a suppressed carbine before I had a drivers license.

LOL...of course Im kidding! I read a lot of comics, wish I had trained instead.

At that time I had boxed and kicked boxed in the windward side for quite a bit but I got taken down and beaten up pretty good. Soon after, I started training ground a little bit, but the reason I got into the fight overrode my will to keep training - girls lol

If I had comics or kept training I wouldn't have had these damn 16-20 year old kids right now lol 

PerformativeGayBDSM -

Not sure I believe you got beat up once, let alone twice, but I'll take your word for the gi being a useful training tool.

Our conversations about this irl are the only thing that has kept me in it tbh.

Lol I got beat up way more than I ever beat anyone up.

In these threads I always get confused. Only just training nogi doesn't seem right to me. I'm in clothes everywhere I go and I always, consistently hear that wrestlers and other nogi guys struggle with the grips and being held onto when they use the gi. I'm not training to fight someone who doesn't know how to fight, so why would I not learn to be comfortable in what I wear when I'm most likely to be in a fight? Sure I don't wear a gi, but I'm always constantly cold so I wear hoodies and long sleeve shirts even here in AZ in the summer. 

While it could happen, I’ve never heard of needing to defend oneself from a naked person.

Pajama wrestling > pretend naked wrestling

I’ve never been in a fight against a dude shirtless or wearing spandex. I have been in a fight with a dude wearing a hoody and jeans. Ill take Gi

No gi. I’ve never seen anyone wear anything irl as thick and strong as a gi that they didn’t pull their arms out of mid-fight.

Both can be good or bad for self defense. The important factor imo is to know the difference between bjj as a sport and bjj as a martial art.

PerformativeGayBDSM -
PerformativeGayBDSM -

Not sure I believe you got beat up once, let alone twice, but I'll take your word for the gi being a useful training tool.

Our conversations about this irl are the only thing that has kept me in it tbh.

Lol I got beat up way more than I ever beat anyone up.

In these threads I always get confused. Only just training nogi doesn't seem right to me. I'm in clothes everywhere I go and I always, consistently hear that wrestlers and other nogi guys struggle with the grips and being held onto when they use the gi. I'm not training to fight someone who doesn't know how to fight, so why would I not learn to be comfortable in what I wear when I'm most likely to be in a fight? Sure I don't wear a gi, but I'm always constantly cold so I wear hoodies and long sleeve shirts even here in AZ in the summer. 

Idk, I think training in just one is dumb sometimes, but if that's the case why isn't anyone cross training in Judo too.

Then I think of the D1 wrestlers I've known and I see how formidable getting really good at one thing makes you-with zero submission training at all.

Then I think of what a D1 wrestler/No-Gi only guy is going to do if you grab his hoodie and it sure as fuck won't be waiting for you to get your hips inside and throw him.

But these are just things I think about, not one street fight I've ever been in went to the ground. The grand total of which is less than double digits, but that's all I've got to go on.

If I have to pick one for real life purposes I think it's got to be no gi. Just gi leaves you totally unprepared for the speed and intensity of a real life encounter, imo... which is worth nothing but that's still what it is.

like.i stated above..."choose something, lay a base of skill. learn or figure out how to adapt skills you develop supplemen5 as time permlts its or as you see fit after you laid foundation."

and theres an element your missing....at a certain point, you need something that can at least provide some level of entertainement if you expect to last.

Gi, if no gi was the best for SD Gracie BJJ would have been no gi from day 1

jiujitsu isnt gi or no-gi. Itxs gi, no-gi, sport/SD/VT......JMO

"from day 1".....GJJ came from pre-war judo, which used a gi as a training uniform to represent clothing and could standip to rigors of training.

Calhoon -

Both can be good or bad for self defense. The important factor imo is to know the difference between bjj as a sport and bjj as a martial art.

Question: how much should you train total sport vs self defense? Should sport guys have a self defense game. Mainly guard Id assume?