GI Training for MMA

A Pro's response:

Check out ADCC News with the latest interview with Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro.

KP- Do you still train with the Gi?

VR- Yes, 3 times a week. I'd like to train EVEN MORE, because the Gi REFINES your technique and that helps you even in an MMA fight. I have to limit it to 3 times a week because I have other aspects of training that I have to do for MMA so I have to allocate time for that as well

So, you can all put your GI's back on now thank you.

Gi up bitches

Never took it off.

=)

Start of another gi vs no gi arguments

Who cares...

I'm not saying I think GI training is useless for mma, but thats just one fighter and hardly 'proves' one should train with the GI for mma.

Do you honestly think there are more top pros that train with the gi than without it?

You would have an extremly difficult finding any evidence to suggest any of the following guys have invested much time into training with a GI: Randy Couture, Chuck Liddel, Quinton Jackson, Matt Hughes, Rick Franklin, Sean Sherk, Dan Henderson.

Also, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that the following fighters currently train regularly with the GI despite prior experience in training with the GI: Fedor, Mino brothers, Ricardo Arona, Karo Parysian, Matt Serra, GSP, Bustamante, V. Silva, A. Silva.

Both lists could go on and on so my point is just that one fighter currently training with the gi for mma is hardly and open and shut case for using it in training.

Since when does anecdotal evidence ever completely cement an argument? Regardless of one's proficiency, it's still just an opinion. Did you ever consider that he may have started his MA journey in BJJ and grappling in a gi is his comfort zone where he feels more fluid and can remember and apply more? You can't take a limited statement from limited evidence and make absolute statements.

I've never trained w/ a gi personally and I think I'm alright but I'd rather Eddie Bravo back a fellow beaner up on this one.

"Do you honestly think there are more top pros that train with the gi than without it?"

Actually, yes.

Or they did train gi for a long time.

"I've never trained w/ a gi personally"

Try it.

Uh, Dragon, how sure are you about a couple of names in that second paragraph?

"royce said the gi was not efficient for mma"

Exactly, its not efficient when you go against a Judoka that can tool you pretty good with it. i.e. Yoshida

"Uh, Dragon, how sure are you about a couple of names in that second paragraph?"

How sure am I that you'd be hard pressed to find hours and hours of work in a gi on their CURRENT training regiments? Relatively, but far from 100% certainly.

All I know is that I would go to more jiu jitsu classes if I didn't have to wear a gi.

Effective or not, the gi is just not nearly as much fun to play in.

Humility is the most common enemy amongst those opposed to gi training.

There are enough threads about this subject.

Also, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that the following fighters currently train regularly with the GI despite prior experience in training with the GI: Fedor"

For the record, I've seen recent training footage of Fedor training in the Sambo jacket and with a full army sweat suit thing on.

buy your gis at www.americanmmagear.com

"You must train with the gi to have the FINEST technique" -MARCELLO GARCIA

Kudos to whoever said humility is the being reason why people dont like the gi.

Personally, I find training with the gi ten times funner than being a pile of sweat sliding all over the mat.

"
George St. Pierre trained in a gi before facing Matt Serra."

He trains in a gi before every fight. That was cute though trying to take a shot against the gi.

=)