"Gi"- What is it? Japanese lesson

racist IMO

I hate that Brazilians say Kimono. It doesn't make ANY sense. Why use a japanese word that is wrong, when there already exists a correct word for what you want to describe???

A Kimono is a dress. A Gi is a gi. I don't get it.

Silly Brazilians.

"Kancho" - What is it? Japanese resson?

"Kancho" is a Spanish term for a man who is sleeping with another man's wife. You may have heard it used in the song "Santeria" by Sublime.

Kancho:

DoGi  = "way" clothes

KeikoGi = Training Clothes

KarateGi  = Karate clothes

JudoGi = Judo clothes.

just "Gi" on its own do not work linguistically, and is only used in the west.

Kimono simply means "things to wear" but is a specific traditional robes -usually floor length, and the only ones using that for a "gi" are the BJJ guys, who got it from Brazil, and not from japan. Simply put, they got it just as wrong as the guys who only says "Gi"

http://www.japanesekimono.com/index.htm

dogi is a generic term for martial arts gi

Most Japanese have a chuckle when they hear that Brasillians wera kimono's to train in.

They incorrectly use the word jujutsu so why not kimono as well ?!?

Kimono can also be translated as "Clothes". So no kimono = no clothes = rolling nekkid! Sexytime is right. But still ghey.

Thank you Roxi. Didn't know that!

The term judogi is the correct term not just gi. Plus the Japanese language has this weird thing about "k"s and "g"s when written in romanji(english letters).

G is not used in the front or to begin a word. Terms like koshi(hip)or changed to -goshi. So Ogoshi(big hip) and Koshiguruma (hip wheel)both use hip but spelled with a K instead of a G.

Another important point is that many martial arts terms are not part of the normal Japanese language and are used to describe specific ideas inherent to martial arts. A great example is seoinage, commonly translated as shoulder throw. Seoi is not normal and is not used to identify a shoulder which is Kata. From what I was told its would be more accurate to call seoinage a back carry throw because seoi is used to identify the motion or action of the throw.

This why I train Gi'less

"This why I train Gi'less"

matbattle?