Giants in the OT?!?

I've heard people mock the story of Goliath and giants in the bible but I thought this was interesting...

http://www.local6.com/health/3018490/detail.html

If anyone with a blue name is up for it, I have some awesome giant pictures I could email to be posted.

It is a side hobby of mine and they are pretty out of control to see.

I havn't really looked into giants. Above 9ft, the human body simply can not operate properly. Above 8ft, it begins to serious problems. I am sure skeletons of that look humanish that are 15-25ft have been found, but our understanding of physics (standing, walking, gravity crushing your spine) and physiology (blood reaching your brain, muscle energy needed to run, etc.) precludes these people from existing, never mind the pathologies they'd get- arymitha (sp?), dislocated hips, genu varum/valgus, etc. these people would not be able to move properly.

MS

How big is Shaq? 7"2? Is he a 'giant'? He's an awesome athlete. Could Goliath have been a foot taller and still retained athleticsm?

Any blues want to post the pics? They're pretty cool.

"I am sure skeletons of that look humanish that are 15-25ft have been found, but our understanding of physics (standing, walking, gravity crushing your spine) and physiology (blood reaching your brain, muscle energy needed to run, etc.) precludes these people from existing, never mind the pathologies they'd get- arymitha (sp?), dislocated hips, genu varum/valgus, etc. these people would not be able to move properly"

I'm not directing this at you personally, but its typical of science that when evidence contradicts "our understanding of" something, then our understanding must be right and the evidence must be wrong

If someone can explain to me how a human heart can pump blood to a guy 20feet tall and how a human spine can be stretched that long, I'll listen. Until then, I think my education in Kinesiology is correct in saying humans can not function over a certain height.

Robert Waldow was 8'11", he had no sensation below his knees and easily hurt his feet. He died of an infection when he tore open his feet and didn't realize it!

MS

"If someone can explain to me"

their blood might be thinner, or it could be made of something other than what our blood is. There are all kinds of things that could have been different. Just because they looked like people doesn't mean that they were the same on the inside. For all we know their inner working were more like a tree's than a person's.

The problem is, you're making a judgement without knowledge, ie "something I've never seen is impossible because it doesn't fit into my world view". You're assuming that people's physiology back then was the same as now, which may or may not be true, and then you're assuming that a giant's would be the same as a normal person's, which again may or may not be true. And then you're assuming that what you think you know about people of today is correct in every detail, which it may or may not be

there are some big ass mummies out there that I cant explain, I dunno if they were all jacked up or not though.

I am not a scientist or religious major by any means so I can't offer a lot of back up to claims. In humble opinion Bee's arn't supposed to be able to fly. I'm sure there are unexplainable feats of nature. Those depicted in old text were definitly not common. Also, my thought, as advanced as we are I don't believe we are meant to know everything right now. Obviously we werent there but if that's what the text says and you believe in the text, it could mean you must demonstrate your faith until a true answer comes. Anyway, that's just me.
Brighton-

I asked a Doctor of Anthropology "Were there ever human beings that were 15+ feet tall?"

She said "No"

Their internal physiology would have to be basically the same or they would not be human. If they worked like trees, they would not look like us, and they could not breed with us.

Jason, I am not saying something I have not seen is not possible. I am saying that something that goes against the evidence I was presented with is unlikely.

While it is possible they have thinner blood, the implication would be that they would not move as quickly and tire out much faster, given their size, that would not be a good combination.

Without opening up a whole seperate arguement (can't believe I'm about to do this) evolution only creates what the environment will allow. So not only would they have to function physiollogicaly, they must have fulfiled an ecological niche at some point.

People 7-10 feet are possible, genes plus messed up thyroid or pituatary will do that. But you can't get bigger than that and remain what we would define as human. If, for example, they would have had multiple hearts in seperate areas of their body (like some worms), then they could not be called human beings and I doubt we could breed with them.

MS

"In humble opinion Bee's arn't supposed to be able to fly."

sigh...

http://www.paghat.com/beeflight.html

"It's better to keep quiet and be thought an idiot, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

I think Goliath was 9 to 12 feet tall. What was Manute Bol, like almost 8 feet tall and he wasn't even a "giant".

...and he even beat up the Fridge in some celebrity box off;-)

Seriously, there is a reason that all cultures have stories of giants. Universals are usually grounded in some truism.

TTT for some pics.

-Tom

"If they worked like trees, they would not look like us, and they could not breed with us. "

you think a 20 ft tall guy, with a proportional sized penis, is going to breed with a 5-6 ft tall woman?

"While it is possible they have thinner blood, the implication would be that they would not move as quickly and tire out much faster, given their size, that would not be a good combination. "

that's assuming that their thinner blood was the only difference. according to the Bible, people used to live for hundreds of years too, so its possible that a great many things were different back then

I'm not sure i would classify Biblical giants as human in any case. I would compare them to the donkey/mule type thing, where an interbreeding of species produces something with characteristics of each, but that is neither

These bible calendars make me think on lunar years, not solar.

Hornbuckle, in any case, the evidence for such beings is a collection of religious myths from ancient Mesopotamia.

It's a lot more probable that it's just exageration, or myth or legend or whatever than the existance of such beings in such a relatively recent time.

Anthropologists can tell you a lot about humans that lived 20,000 years ago. Wouldnt you think they'd be able find similar evidence of giant humans that lived only 2000-3000 years ago?

Just think of the insentive an anthropologist has to find such a giant human skeleton. The anthropologist would be famous, he'd go down in history and would be the talk of the community. Trust me, if there was a shred of evidence for their existance, one of the millions of researchers on earth that look for this kind of stuff would come up with it. And if it was legitemate he would be recongized by the entire community.

Such shocking news (imagine the headilnes "GIANT HUMANS!") would spread very quickly. There is no way a discovery like that could have been made and authenticated and we just don't know about it.

There is just too many people doing too much research with too much insentive for something as odd as this and so recent to pass by them.

Yes there is a chance there could have been giants, all their remains and traces have been lost and not found by all the anthropological research into it. That chance is extremely slim.

People as late as the 1300s mistook elephant skulls to be the skulls of giant cyclopses. The large skull with the center hole (where trunk goes) could look like the skull of a 20 foot tall cyclops.

Dont you think its a lot more feasable that the people of those times exagerated or made a mistake or just made it up?

It certainly wouldnt be the first time something like that is made up or exagerated through mythology. People as late as the 1300s mistook elephant skulls to be the skulls of giant cyclopses. The large skull with the center hole (where trunk goes) could look like the skull of a 20 foot tall cyclops.

That anthropologist that I asked told me that anthropologists and archeologists are always looking to find something that will defy modern understanding or defy current understandings of the past.

Find a race of giant humans would certainly defy modern understanding of human beings (or whatever u want to call them).

I hear Christians often saying that if a discovery like this is made the anthropologist who finds it will try to cover it up because it goes "against science".

Thats crazy. If the anthropologist finds something that goes against current scientific thought, its called a scientific breakthrough, a discovery. Thats what every scientist is trying for when they do research. Why would they cover up something that would make them famous?

PICS PLEASE!
Date: 04/20/04 12:42 PM
7535 Total Posts Ignore User

Any blues want to post the pics? They're pretty cool.