Gif issue that's easily explained

I use gifs In my articles. But every other person who has in the past has been forced to stop.

If we look back when the ufc pressured bloody elbow and zombie prophet for this. The ufc is basically forcing sites to enforce this. Bloody elbow didn't want to stop using gifs but the ufc singled them out.

Instead of attacking Kirik and mma.tv we need to get Dana to answer this me need to get journalists to ask why they're pushing this so hard. Gifs are amazing marketing tools for bringing new eyes to the sport but they're clearly afraid and are calling this piracy.

We need to get in contact with Dana but I would also like an announcement on front page or in a sticky thread explaining in detail what happened and how the ufc approached the site and their terms and native a reason. Its a shame as gifs are a staple to paying fans. Phone Post

It's done.  I was actually excited to come on the UG because recently it has become a cesspool and let's be honest, the fights have been pretty shitty.

UFC 166 was amazing though, I was excited to come on here, look at the gifs (there were tons of highlights) and talk about all that shit.

But you know what?  Fuck it.  That's not allowed.

OG can be OK from time to time, but has gotten more than it's share of idiots over the years too.

I really think this will hurt this site.  A lot.

It used to be THE PLACE for MMA, but now it's just an arm of the machine.  It fucking sucks, but I guess it happens to everything when too much money gets involved.

RIP UG

6ULDV8 -

It's done.  I was actually excited to come on the UG because recently it has become a cesspool and let's be honest, the fights have been pretty shitty.

UFC 166 was amazing though, I was excited to come on here, look at the gifs (there were tons of highlights) and talk about all that shit.

But you know what?  Fuck it.  That's not allowed.

OG can be OK from time to time, but has gotten more than it's share of idiots over the years too.

I really think this will hurt this site.  A lot.

It used to be THE PLACE for MMA, but now it's just an arm of the machine.  It fucking sucks, but I guess it happens to everything when too much money gets involved.

RIP UG

The thing is you baby really blame mma. TV the ufc is leveraging their copyright. They can't see the marketing value of the gifs but the facts are it doesn't cut back buys At all.

I want to hear from Kirik or admins how the ufc approached then and their terms. The ufc could have threatened with a lot of legal repercussions. Phone Post

A twitter war is the only way to save the gifs.

I remember the good old days when these things were settled fair and square by a Myspace glitter gif-off.

So what's gonna happen if I start posting gifs? Phone Post 3.0

Where Dana? So I can down vote him!! Phone Post 3.0

MAYBE IF WE JUST ASKED NICELY GUYS.

KIRIK..........CAN YOU AND YOUR MODS PLEASE STOP BEING A BUNCH OF SLACK JAWED FAGGOTS ..........THANK YOU, FUCKFACE.

BIGWHITESEXY - MAYBE IF WE JUST ASKED NICELY GUYS.

KIRIK..........CAN YOU AND YOUR MODS PLEASE STOP BEING A BUNCH OF SLACK JAWED FAGGOTS ..........THANK YOU, FUCKFACE.

I don't think you can get much nicer than this. Phone Post

IF YOU POST UFC GIFS, THIS WILL BE YOU...

caseharts - I use gifs In my articles. But every other person who has in the past has been forced to stop.

If we look back when the ufc pressured bloody elbow and zombie prophet for this. The ufc is basically forcing sites to enforce this. Bloody elbow didn't want to stop using gifs but the ufc singled them out.

Instead of attacking Kirik and mma.tv we need to get Dana to answer this me need to get journalists to ask why they're pushing this so hard. Gifs are amazing marketing tools for bringing new eyes to the sport but they're clearly afraid and are calling this piracy.

We need to get in contact with Dana but I would also like an announcement on front page or in a sticky thread explaining in detail what happened and how the ufc approached the site and their terms and native a reason. Its a shame as gifs are a staple to paying fans. Phone Post

Agreed. Phone Post

I come here excitedly after fights for discussions and gifs. If I can't get that experience here I will get it elsewhere. Phone Post 3.0

BIGWHITESEXY - MAYBE IF WE JUST ASKED NICELY GUYS.

Subtle, but without pretention.

The best "easy explanation" I've seen of the issue is in this tweet below. It was written by Deadspin's Timothy Burke, in regards to MLB exercising a similar behind-the-scenes attempt to band gifs through legal threats that are nothing more than extortion of defendants who don't have the money to defend themselves of frivolous lawsuits.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/190834308859174913

"Timothy Burke ?@bubbaprog

@TheScottLewis like most frivolous lawsuits it comes down to the resources of the defendant"

That's essentially it. If you look at legal experts, they're pretty much in agreement that the gifs are both extremely short and transformative so they would almost certainly fall under fair use doctrine in US copyright laws.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop large companies like the UFC and MLB from threatening to sue much smaller media companies over the use of gifs. Realistically it could bankrupt this site or any other one from a 100% frivolous lawsuit.

Read these:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/mlb-gifs-ban-scott-lewis/

https://twitter.com/TheScottLewis/status/190840654421696512

^^^ MLB knows it's not going to stand up in court and they likely don't have the money to waste suing ESPN so they 'politely ask' which means threaten and extort.

Is this no GIF's mean we "jumped the shark"

FUBAR the second post is right and now the UG will never be the UG again. Pressure the UFC and blah blah.....all I know is people will post elsewhere.

The site is an arm in the machine whether it's there fault or not. It's unfortunate and the next move will be fans finding a place they can post freely

That's why I go to reddit.com/r/mma
The ufc has no power there Phone Post

ChrisWeidmanedmydiameter - 

That's why I go to reddit.com/r/mma
The ufc has no power there Phone Post

Never went to reddit for mma, now I have to.

InspiritMick - FUBAR the second post is right and now the UG will never be the UG again. Pressure the UFC and blah blah.....all I know is people will post elsewhere.

The site is an arm in the machine whether it's there fault or not. It's unfortunate and the next move will be fans finding a place they can post freely

This is the truth about the Internet, you take something down and it pops up somewhere else. It is one giant spring loaded middle finger that eagerly waits for opportunities to flash the bird in your face.

MagSlim - The best "easy explanation" I've seen of the issue is in this tweet below. It was written by Deadspin's Timothy Burke, in regards to MLB exercising a similar behind-the-scenes attempt to band gifs through legal threats that are nothing more than extortion of defendants who don't have the money to defend themselves of frivolous lawsuits.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/190834308859174913

"Timothy Burke ?@bubbaprog

@TheScottLewis like most frivolous lawsuits it comes down to the resources of the defendant"

That's essentially it. If you look at legal experts, they're pretty much in agreement that the gifs are both extremely short and transformative so they would almost certainly fall under fair use doctrine in US copyright laws.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop large companies like the UFC and MLB from threatening to sue much smaller media companies over the use of gifs. Realistically it could bankrupt this site or any other one from a 100% frivolous lawsuit.

Read these:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/mlb-gifs-ban-scott-lewis/

https://twitter.com/TheScottLewis/status/190840654421696512

^^^ MLB knows it's not going to stand up in court and they likely don't have the money to waste suing ESPN so they 'politely ask' which means threaten and extort.

That is unfortunate. The blame should be on the UFC instead of Kirik/MMA. Phone Post 3.0