Gilbert Melendez

Seriously, what's going on here?  When are they bringing El niño over to the UFC? The the guy is a class act.  He's such a talent and he has a great personality.

I know Healy isn't an easy fight, but I really want to see him fight some top UFC talent.  

Thoughts?

I believe its a contract issue with Showtime

I know....I just thought since Zuffa owns Strikeforce, something could be done.

But you're all correct, essentially Strikeforce's contract is with Showtime. 

Gilbert is in his prime and we're not getting to see him fight top talent.  I think the fans lose here.

He actually lost his last fight to Josh Thompson, IMO.  He's still a top LW though.   

He had the opportunity to sign w UFC. Instead he resigned w strike force. If you go against Zuffa you pay the price. Gil along w a slew of others are doing that right now. Phone Post

send deiego sanchez to strikeforce to fight him for the belt

I agree 100% Vix , would love to see him in the UFC... Or at least send over some challengers like they did for DC Phone Post

Radio Raheem -  He actually lost his last fight to Josh Thompson, IMO.  He's still a top LW though.   

RR-

This is the first time I disagree with you, but don't worry your amigita still loves ya.

And yes, Pescy and Dragon, at least send someone over there to fight him.  The UFC has so much talent in the 155 division, wouldn't it be cool to send a couple of guys over there?

I am worried about the Cormier/Mir fight being cancelled; I was hoping it would have set some kind of UFC vs Strikeforce precedent if the ratings would have been good.

Gil will run through Healy, easily.

slugshot331 -  Gil will run through Healy, easily.

No sir, I must disagree with this statement.

slugshot331 -  Gil will run through Healy, easily.

I wouldn't bet on that at all.

We shall see, my frens.  I think Gilbert has something to prove after the Thomson fight and it will look a lot like Melendez/Kawajiri 2.

it's the contract.

he re-signed at a bad time. how was he to know that Zuffa would buy Strikeforce?

just bad timing.

Yes, there is a chance that he will be out of his prime when he makes it to Zuffa (my guess is he has another 18mos at his prime). BUT, he is getting p-a-i-d in Strikeforce, so at least his pocketbook is good.

I am glad that he's making money, but he has to be cringing every time he watches a UFC ligtweight title fight.  That can't be easy.

Radio Raheem -  He actually lost his last fight to Josh Thompson, IMO.  He's still a top LW though.   

I scored that fight a draw.

I think Gilbert won just because he is the champion. Phone Post

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2030598

That explains the little info that's public regarding his contract. It's complicated, much being that it's not just Gilbert the fighter and 1 promotion. You have the fighter dealing with the promotion AND Showtime, AND a championship clause.  In short-he's fucked.

D241 -   http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2030598

That explains the little info that's public regarding his contract. It's complicated, much being that it's not just Gilbert the fighter and 1 promotion. You have the fighter dealing with the promotion AND Showtime, AND a championship clause.  In short-he's fucked.

Gil should scheme and get himself DQ'ed over and over until he's released from his contract, and brought in by the U...OH MY GOD, I JUST CAME UP WITH A PLAN.

Nice outlook. I wish I could turn things that I feel negative as I've grown older, into positives. voted up for your outlook

i want to see thomson- melendez 4, their fights are fucking back and forth wars everytime,

imo its 1 - 1 - 1 between them their last fight was razor close a 4th fight would settle the score once and for all and then bring both guys in to the UFC regardless of outcome.

Healy sub round 2, upset and everyone cries. Boom. No longer legit enough to fight in UFC Phone Post