Give me a “Low and Slow” rib recipe.

Having a BBQ tomorrow and having some people over. Decided to make some ribs. 

Normally I rub them with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika and sometimes smoked ghost chili flakes the night before and then wrap them in foil. 

The next morning I put them in a disposable aluminum pan, put some water or chicken stock on the bottom of the pan, wrap the top in foil and put them in the oven at 225 for about 5 or 6 hours. The last 30 minutes I hit the top with some BBQ sauce (usually baby rays) and crank the temp to 425. 

That’s usually my go to recipe and the meat just falls off the bone. Looking to change it up a little so give me a recipe for ribs. 

1 Like

Don't experiment when you're having guests over. 

Don't spice - especially salt - more than an hour before cooking.  

I usually don't shoot for falling off the bone. I like a little firmer texture (where you can acually see your bite mark when you eat it).  But, this is a matter of preference.

Ribs are exponentially better if smoked.  This can be done on a grill if you don't have a smoker.

This is from yesterday

Sounds like you have a system that works. 

"Ya ought to dance with who brung ya."

Do you have an instant pot?

Also - if you are just looking to tweak your spice mix, think about adding some ground coffee (ground to the approximate size of the salt granules you use).  I have been tinkering with my rub recipe for 20 years now, and my go-to these days is my Java Rub.

3-2-1 3 hours cooking, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour open (275 for everything)

I typically just do course salt, pepper, onion, garlic paprika

however I recently got a rub that is really good. It’s called rib rack bbq. They sell it at shop rite. I was lazy one day and didn’t feel like going through the steps of doing my own rub and was in a rush. I was surprised how good it was, smells really good. I’m not sure what kind of paprika they use but it’s great. 

I only smoke my ribs but I’ve used my pressure cooker to good success if you want fall of the bone without all the time it takes. 

harry soos buttermilk curry brownsugar smoked beef ribs are pure heaven. people go apeshit when I make them

samichlaus -

Don't experiment when you're having guests over. 

That’s a fair point. 

Black Dougie -

I usually don't shoot for falling off the bone. I like a little firmer texture (where you can acually see your bite mark when you eat it).  But, this is a matter of preference.

Ribs are exponentially better if smoked.  This can be done on a grill if you don't have a smoker.

This is from yesterday

Why don’t spice more than an hour before? I usually rub em down the night before. 

Black Dougie -

Also - if you are just looking to tweak your spice mix, think about adding some ground coffee (ground to the approximate size of the salt granules you use).  I have been tinkering with my rub recipe for 20 years now, and my go-to these days is my Java Rub.

Hmm, that’s very interesting. Might have to try that another time but that sounds pretty good. 

I use the smoker a lot but I really like the ribs I make in the oven. St Louis or full spares work much better than baby backs (just better in general imo). Salt, pepper and garlic then roast on a raised rack at 300 for about three hours. Turn the oven up a little and sauce with a mustard bbq sauce. A few thin coats works best giving it about ten minutes between each. At the end dust with Rendevous seasoning and give it about five more minutes in the oven just to get the seasoning popping and it will set on the ribs. They are set up right if you can flip them to cut and nothing rubs off on the board. They will be tender but not fall apart and these come out so good it is ridiculous.

It is definitely a different method but they are extremely good.

Nitecrawler -
Black Dougie -

This is from yesterday

Why don’t spice more than an hour before? I usually rub em down the night before. 

The salt draws out the moisture from the surface of the meat.  I've heard that, given enough time, the salt will absorb into the meat and actually preserve surface moisture, but i have had better results just rubbing within an hour of smoking.  I have several big shakers of my different pre-mixed rubs, with no salt in them. I salt the ribs/brisket with just salt and let it stand for about 15 minutes.  This will draw the moisture to the surface, and let the rub mix adhere better when i put it on.

I'm def not an expert, and so many people do it differently.  In my opinion, if it turns out moist and tastes like you like it, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Chinese 5 spice, garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, salt

My problem when I go above 3h in an oven (vs proper smoking) is that the ribs tend to get *too* soft / melt-off-the-bone, and I've had friends tell me it's because I'm improperly wrapping them in foil and accidentally boiling them...

Does anyone else have this issue? I love when I cook them for long in a smoker or if I oven bake them for 2.5-3h, but any longer and it becomes self-defeating.

Stea1th -

3-2-1 3 hours cooking, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour open (275 for everything)

Yeppers

Shlong makes a mean foiled beginning to start ketchup glazed baby backs in his easy bake oven mom slice bought for him. Not sure the recipe, might wanna ask for it.

Black Dougie -
Nitecrawler -
Black Dougie -

This is from yesterday

The salt draws out the moisture from the surface of the meat.  I've heard that, given enough time, the salt will absorb into the meat and actually preserve surface moisture, but i have had better results just rubbing within an hour of smoking.  I have several big shakers of my different pre-mixed rubs, with no salt in them. I salt the ribs/brisket with just salt and let it stand for about 15 minutes.  This will draw the moisture to the surface, and let the rub mix adhere better when i put it on.

I'm def not an expert, and so many people do it differently.  In my opinion, if it turns out moist and tastes like you like it, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Most pork is presalted btw. If you wanna add rub make your own without salt then add kosher salt right before the cook.

NiteProwleR -
Black Dougie -
Nitecrawler -
Black Dougie -

This is from yesterday

Most pork is presalted btw. If you wanna add rub make your own without salt then add kosher salt right before the cook.

It is hard to find regular plain ribs in a grocery store these days. Everything is enhanced and filled with whatever crap they want to put in it.