Glen Campbell - Guess I'm Dumb

God damn this mother fucker could sing.

Fun fact!!  Brian Wilson wrote and produced this song while creating Pet Sounds.  It was originally intended for PT but he gave it to Glen (who was also one of the guitar players on PT).  Also the backing vocals are Brian (God I love that man).  Maybe loved is a better word.  He kind of died in 1976 even though he's still alive.  Anyway...the song...

2 Likes

How is "Rhinestone Cowboy" not a Neil Diamond song is what I want to know. Love me some Glen Campbell

Amazing guitarist! 

Samoa - How is "Rhinestone Cowboy" not a Neil Diamond song is what I want to know. Love me some Glen Campbell

Good point.  I can hear Neil Diamond doing that.

It's interesting because even though that song made him ultra famous, it also kind of typecast and pigeonholed Glen as a pop country lightweight when in reality he was one of the baddest guitar players ever.  

angryinch - 
Samoa - How is "Rhinestone Cowboy" not a Neil Diamond song is what I want to know. Love me some Glen Campbell

It's interesting because even though that song made him ultra famous, it also kind of typecast and pigeonholed Glen as a pop country lightweight when in reality he was one of the baddest guitar players ever.  

Better than Renato?!?!?!

Glad to know we have a least a few cultured fellows among the uncivilized brutes of the OG.

Samoa - 
angryinch - 

Better than Renato?!?!?!

No one is better than Renato.  He can play with more speed, more soul, more melody, more everything, than any guitar player in any of music.  

This is a phenomenal song.
I can't believe I haven't heard it before....
Thank you for this.

I wonder if there is a full Brian demo of this somewhere...

Rawbb - 

This is a phenomenal song.
I can't believe I haven't heard it before....
Thank you for this.

I wonder if there is a full Brian demo of this somewhere...

Oh man...I wish...this is all we got though:

Here's a better version with the backing vocals:

The female vocals at the end are Brian's wife and sister-in-law

Saved Mattie....got hornswaggled with a log by Chaney.....

angryinch - 

Yeah, Glenn Campbell's career is a bit of a tragedy IMO. He was capable of so much more than the ultra-polished 'Nashville Sound' stuff that comprises the bulk of his catalogue.

He was arguably the most talented guy EVER in country music. He was a top shelf singer, top shelf songwriter, and top shelf guitarist. He had it all. But he spent most of career confined within the strictures of the Nashville establishment.

One can only imagine what kind of music he could have created if he had gone the 'outlaw country' route with guys like Willie, Waylon, Kris, Merle, etc and had the autonomy to blaze his own trail. I would have loved to see/hear that.

Came in thinking about Earl Campbell. 

He died in 2017, but was good enough to leave us with his daughter Ashley.

"But he spent most of career confined within the strictures of the Nashville establishment. "

He was primarily an LA guy for most of his career. He didn't do Nashville until his popular decline. He was a key player in The Wrecking Crew, the LA session players that recorded what seems like half of everything that hit the pop charts in the '60s & '70s. That's the reason he had a relationship with Brian Wilson in the first place; Wilson hired the Wrecking Crew for his solo work.

He played on records by Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Wayne Newton, Elvis, & Sinatra. The idea that he somehow was shackled by Nashville is ill-informed.

1 Like

BarkLikeADog - "But he spent most of career confined within the strictures of the Nashville establishment. "

He was primarily an LA guy for most of his career. He didn't do Nashville until his popular decline. He was a key player in The Wrecking Crew, the LA session players that recorded what seems like half of everything that hit the pop charts in the '60s & '70s. That's the reason he had a relationship with Brian Wilson in the first place; Wilson hired the Wrecking Crew for his solo work.

He played on records by Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Wayne Newton, Elvis, & Sinatra. The idea that he somehow was shackled by Nashville is ill-informed.

All of this is correct.  The connection between BW and Glen is through the wrecking crew.  Even on this track you can hear Hal Blaine calling out the beats.  They screw up on the first take and you can hear Carol Kaye laugh.

Another fun fact is the Glen toured with the Beach Boys subbing in for Brian who was back at the studio creating all of the songs we know and love.

Glen had no problem covering the complex vocal parts and dramatic range that the songs required as evident by the OP track.