Global warming to SQUASH EARTH

Only us science men can reverse this. Please send me as much money as you can spare. I'll make sure you don't get squashed too.

-------------------

Melting ice is causing the ocean to sink, worrying new study reports

https://www.zmescience.com/science/oceanography/melting-ice-sea-rise-08012018/

Now, geoscientist Thomas Frederikse from the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands and his colleagues report that the meltwater is adding extra weight to the seafloor,

We tend to think of the Earth as a firm, unchangeable sphere. But geologically, our planet is a very dynamic place.

“The Earth itself is not a rigid sphere, it’s a deforming ball,” Frederikse said. “With climate change, we do not only change temperature.”

Researchers had known that extra weight could cause the Earth to become squashed, but they wanted to know how much it could be squashed — and this is where the surprises started.

In for right-leaning OG'ers saying terribly insultuing things about the climate change, and left-leaning OG'ers saying terribly insulting things about the right-leaning OG'ers.

Such a complex issue. The sea floor sinking under added weight is something I had never considered and makes me feel even tinier on this wavering rock we live on

Lol who falls for this shit! See the reason the ocean aren’t rising is because the floor is sinking!! Gotta hand to these fuckers they think of everything to keep getting money.

Here is the actual journal paper so we can discuss this rationally.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL075419/abstract

Ocean Bottom Deformation Due To Present-Day Mass Redistribution and Its Impact on Sea Level Observations

Abstract

Present-day mass redistribution increases the total ocean mass and, on average, causes the ocean bottom to subside elastically. Therefore, barystatic sea level rise is larger than the resulting global mean geocentric sea level rise, observed by satellite altimetry and GPS-corrected tide gauges. We use realistic estimates of mass redistribution from ice mass loss and land water storage to quantify the resulting ocean bottom deformation and its effect on global and regional ocean volume change estimates. Over 1993–2014, the resulting globally averaged geocentric sea level change is 8% smaller than the barystatic contribution. Over the altimetry domain, the difference is about 5%, and due to this effect, barystatic sea level rise will be underestimated by more than 0.1 mm/yr over 1993–2014. Regional differences are often larger: up to 1 mm/yr over the Arctic Ocean and 0.4 mm/yr in the South Pacific. Ocean bottom deformation should be considered when regional sea level changes are observed in a geocentric reference frame.

In

southcraw -

Such a complex issue. The sea floor sinking under added weight is something I had never considered and makes me feel even tinier on this wavering rock we live on

No kidding. I had never even considered that. 

Not to worry. We have a lot of sponges in the ocean to absorb that water.

Scotttbu - 

Lol who falls for this shit! See the reason the ocean aren’t rising is because the floor is sinking!! Gotta hand to these fuckers they think of everything to keep getting money.

You don't get it at all. Earth is a play-dough ball incapable of withstanding any kind of change. If you don't buy my Carbon Credit certificates, a BIG ICE will fall all the way into the Earth's core and blow up the planet, like a photon missile into the death star.

I'm not a scientist, but this seems pretty retarded to me.

Scotttbu - 

Haha indeed.

I can tell you there are a TON of shit science papers, and I'd bet money this is one of them.

Onikage - 
Scotttbu - 

You don't get it at all. Earth is a play-dough ball incapable of withstanding any kind of change. If you don't buy my Carbon Credit certificates, a BIG ICE will fall all the way into the Earth's core and blow up the planet, like a photon missile into the death star.

I will actually believe this shit before I believe that the sea floor is collapsing.