Glover Teixeira vs. Jiri Prochazka

Just remember Jones absolutely fucking demolished a younger Glover. Rumble landed a big one shot KO but if he didn’t get that punch early, who knows what happenens. You don’t learn much from those types of fights.

This shows both how far ahead Jones was of everybody and also he far he has fallen when you consider his last few fights.

3 Likes

I see it as what awesome POTENTIAL that guy has, and he is champ already! Only 27, and fights ‘green’ at times - though it is an exaggeration.

1 Like

He really does. Reminds me of little nog

1 Like

DC brought up the age, and Glover was legit annoyed with it. As if he looked over the hill! He was impressive. DC could have fought longer too without his diet of Popeyes chicken,

2 Likes

Nah. He’s just 27, somehow very raw even if already the Champ. I can definitely see him losing the belt, but also gaining it back. He’s a wild dude that will be a force for a while.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too. Glover is not the normal fighter and 42 year old we see. Fighters going through a fraction of the miles he has would’ve been shut off early. I still can’t believe how well his body, chin, and cardio held up last night. I thought he should call it a career soon but after that performance he showed he still has something left and it will be inspiring to watch.

3 Likes

And Jiri is refreshing and Exciting as Hell. It will make the upcoming LHW Title Fights so fun knowing the risks he takes with his kill or be killed style, over 96% finishing rate, and that he could win or lose against almost anyone in elite the division.

Last night was a great example of the difference between being Fighters and being Athletes. Those 2 were True Warriors.

5 Likes

I can’t believe Jiri chocked out a BJJ blackbelt in a championship fight. I could be wrong but Glover has never been submitted. Crazy. Jiri is special. He was the one that was supposed to be submitted. He was mounted many times by Glover and he kept escaping. WTF.

3 Likes

So I’ve had some time to think about what I said last night. I was pretty tone deaf. People just watched an all-time great fight that was built on Jiri’s taste for risk.

But I don’t take back that I just watched a sloppy, reckless fight. Guys who engage in these fights, do they have long careers? Long win streaks? That’s all I was getting at.

And as you mention, the kid is 27. That’s still a ton of time to improve.

Everyone is arguing that his taste for risk is what makes him good. I completely disagree. He’s a lanky karate fighter with no sense of fear. His punches come from weird angles, and he’s great at finding his opponent, I think the numbers will show his striking accuracy is actually pretty good. And he has natural power. Natural power + striking accuracy is a GREAT WINNING FORMULA.

I’d like to see the guy go train with Machida or Semmy Schilt. Both karate guys who are a bit more practical and measured. I like risk-taking too, but I’d like to see the guy have a longer career instead of just being Johnny Walker 2.0.

Machida would have Rashad-faced the Jiri who fought last night. Prime, or off the bench today. Same with Gegard. That was a fun fight to watch, but it was the low-water mark, not the high water mark.

Guys who would have easily beaten both Jiri and Glover last night:
Hendo
Rashad
Wand
Randy
Phil Davis
Bader
JBJ
DC
Machida
Mousasi
Gus
Rumble
Prime Shogun
Prime Lil Nog
Vitor
Yoel Romero
Edit: forgot Rampage

I can’t believe how fat DC looked in that suit. I mean, I can believe it I’m just a little shocked he let himself go so fast like that

I’m not. DC is like a woman who gets fat after getting married and having a baby. He loves to eat and he had a belly when he was fighting

Fat guys are either dieting or getting fatter. There’s no in between.

3 Likes

This is an accurate post but it’s hilarious how many names you fuckin botched in a span of five sentences. Holy shit. Lol.

1 Like

He’s 29 - but yes I completely agree, he’s just getting started. Plus, under 30 is very young at 205. He’s basically like 25.

Good comparison. Both guys not remarkably fast or explosive, but great technique, timing, and durability.

I think that’s just Jiri’s style. He’s never gonna be a “high IQ” fighter. He’s always gonna have gaps due to his style although he could improve his tdd for sure and he survived on the ground where Jan tapped instantly (isn’t Jan a bjj bb?).

Glover has better tds and more power tho. Better from the top, Nog had the best guard and faster hands.

2 Likes

Oh didnt realize we were talking Lil Nog. The Nogs remind me of the Diaz bros and a bit like Anderson too. Tall and lanky and weak wrestling but technical striking and bjj.

Just no lol.

You’re forgetting they were both exhausted and rocked, creating the appearance of sloppy fighters.

No one is “easily” beating them even if they were back in their primes, you’re spouting off.

2 Likes

I wanted to respond by saying “wait until he fights a good boxer”. But then I looked at his record, and it’s all stoppages against guys like Fabio Maldonado, Dominick Reyes and Volkan Oezdemir. Maybe I’m being too hard on him. I might be reading this fight wrong.

I stand by my claim that the way he fights is going to lead to him being punch drunk by age 30. And I think a lot of the strikers on my list would decapitate him, especially Machida, Mousasi and Rumble. And I also think he should train with Machida or Semmy (Semmy especially has those long long limbs and is a karate fundamentalist).

1 Like