Glowing review for American tourists in Belfast

I know there is a bad stereotype for American tourists being obnoxious etc but I work with a chap who has a very different opinion.

My colleague regularly drinks in a bar in Belfast ( The Crown) that is very popular with tourists. Was talking about it with him today and he say's bar none the American's are the best. Friendly , funny , generous-happy to buy a round for people they have just met, and generally all around good craic.

So there you go. You aren't all bad.

When I was in Ireland the Irish people were fucking awesome. Hard to not be generous and friendly when dealing with them.

I think the Chinese have taken over for us as the awful tourists. I was talking to a dude who works for a hotel chain and he said the Chinese are either condescending oligarchs or hillbillies. 

He said the Asians (I think probably Japanese) that come into the bar tend to be in organised groups as part of an organised tour, so they don't really mix with people.

Didn't say they were bad in anyway, just don't really get speaking with them.

british are universally hated around the world

You sure, Diaz? I knew an English dude who loved coming to the US and Canada because he was an average lookin' dude but his London accent got him laid whenever he wanted here.

MickColins - 

You sure, Diaz? I knew an English dude who loved coming to the US and Canada because he was an average lookin' dude but his London accent got him laid whenever he wanted here.

My company is hq'd in the UK. When ever one of them comes over and we go out to eat the waitresses are always flirting with them, trying to get them to keep speaking etc.

One time in Jersey Mikes the girl kept asking one guy what he wanted. He kept saying number 9 over and over. I said shut up she's just flirting with you dip stick. The girl turned all red and started giggling.

diaz 125 - british are universally hated around the world

I dont feel hated

Us brits are hated in places like malia, magaluf, falaraki etc and any place where there's a football match. Everywhere else I've been they seem to love us Phone Post

My (American) friend was over in Iraq and he said --at times-- he got a very subtle, but tangible, sense that perhaps some there weren't super-thrilled for him to be there.

He said it didn't ever rise to the level of anything "dramatic", like outright rude service or anything, more just a slight hint.

I told him it was just his imagination, but he insists it was real.

I really don't know.

Do Europeans still throw bananas at black soccer(futbol) players? Phone Post 3.0

rookie29 - Do Europeans still throw bananas at black soccer(futbol) players? Phone Post 3.0

Football

And ive never thrown a banana at anyone

I remember a American buying a round for the entire bar about ten or so years ago,maybe a little less.
It was also the crown bar. Phone Post 3.0

dizz - When I was in Ireland the Irish people were fucking awesome. Hard to not be generous and friendly when dealing with them.

this

i think the negative american stereotype comes from countries where people go to "party" or hang out at the beach and chill out or where the country is considered "beneath" the first world

there is also probably a big gap in the demographics of tourists visiting places like ireland and the netherlands compared to those who visit thailand, mexico, and jamaica

i read a recent frommers survey or something explaining that Indians are the WORST tourists

Teenage mutant lesnar turtle - 

And ive never thrown a banana at anyone

I chucked a banana at my dogs the other day because they were having a sex fight, neither of them are black though

In Limbo - 
dizz - When I was in Ireland the Irish people were fucking awesome. Hard to not be generous and friendly when dealing with them.

this

i think the negative american stereotype comes from countries where people go to "party" or hang out at the beach and chill out or where the country is considered "beneath" the first world

there is also probably a big gap in the demographics of tourists visiting places like ireland and the netherlands compared to those who visit thailand, mexico, and jamaica

i read a recent frommers survey or something explaining that Indians are the WORST tourists

Indians have absolutely zero ability to understand the concept of how a line works.

Indians have absolutely zero ability to understand the concept of how a line works.
Most of my travelling has been in the Middle East.

These people don't get it either.

Daredevil73 - 
In Limbo - 

this

or understand that the everyday practice of bargaining and beating up vendors over price is frowned upon here in the states when it comes to things such as restaurants, hotels, amusement park admissions, etc.

I would have thought that Ireland would be one of the places that the more obnoxious American tourists go to. They speak English, tons of Americans call themselves Irish, and it is more or less a first world country that isn't a huge culture shock.

Maybe less so in Norn Iron.