glucosamine and chondroitin

How important is it to training? I did a little bit too much on the leg press a couple weeks ago and my knees didn't feel normal until a week later. What does g/c do for you, do all fighters take it? Just looking for some help.

I give 2 chewables to my female GSD every morning.  It's a must for her hips.

Didn't realize humans took it, but makes sense.  It does wonders for dogs with joint pain.

Morgz - 

I give 2 chewables to my female GSD every morning.  It's a must for her hips.

Didn't realize humans took it, but makes sense.  It does wonders for dogs with joint pain.

Thanks for the input. I was trying to do some research on it but most of the sites I found were trying to sell a product, so I figured the UG would be a good spot for some info.

Sam Pai used to swear by it. But I took it and didn't notice any benefit. Just my 2 cents.

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Sam Pai used to swear by it. But I took it and didn't notice any benefit. Just my 2 cents.

How long did you take it, because it takes a few looks for the loading dose? Also, did you have any joint problems before you took it?

Yeah I was half kidding half serious.  I really can't speak to any of the science behind it, but I can tell you this:  Without G/C, my dog can hardly walk, and when she does, she is noticably in pain.  When I give her the G/C supplements, within just a few hours she perks up a bit, and I can see her gate loosen up a bit, and she doesn't appear in pain when she walks.  The vet says it's important for me to stay consistant, that when used over time it will help replace some of the fluid or gel that cushion's the bone in joint area.  So when I don't miss a dose for her she's fine.  One time I ran out and took 3 days before I could get more, and within 2 of those 3 days she went back to being in pain.

I have bad knees and elbows, I can't stand taking the horse pills that some glucosamine/chondroitin supplements are, and OsteoBiFlex is too expensive. I get Joint Juice from a bulk overstock store by my house, after taking it awhile my knees did feel better. I drink a little bottle everyday at breakfast. Actually tastes good.

Don't know much of the science behind it, but it did help with my knees. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks fellas.

I took it for a while after skateboarding wrecked my knees. But doing Yoga actually helped relieve the pain much more than GC supplements.

I use it for my elbows and it does work. Phone Post

There are studies that show it doesn't work.  I took it for a while and swear it helped.  Even if it's the placebo effect, as long as it doesn't hurt you (I haven't seen anything that says it does) you should be fine.

I've been using it for 20 years. Had an X-ray on my knee about 1 year and a half ago. Dr said I have the amount of cartilage of a 19 year old. Phone Post 3.0

So does it actually help your body re-create or increase cartilage?

it's been debunked, don't bother throwing your money away.

I played catcher in baseball from little league all the way through college and I say it works. I'm still a fairly young guy at 28 yrs old but my knees are trashed. Started taking it a few years ago and feel pretty good. I still have pain occasionally but it is minimal the last few years. Phone Post 3.0

EddieBravo - I've been using it for 20 years. Had an X-ray on my knee about 1 year and a half ago. Dr said I have the amount of cartilage of a 19 year old. Phone Post 3.0

That's what I heard, that it can actually replace cartilage. Between kickboxing and weightlifting I fear that I have used up a lot of my cartilage. Thanks.

Knarkilla - I played catcher in baseball from little league all the way through college and I say it works. I'm still a fairly young guy at 28 yrs old but my knees are trashed. Started taking it a few years ago and feel pretty good. I still have pain occasionally but it is minimal the last few years. Phone Post 3.0

Sweet, thanks. Yeah, I'm only 24 and it freaked me out when my knees started feeling funny. I'm going to buy some today and start taking it ASAP.

armbarseverywhere - I took it for a while after skateboarding wrecked my knees. But doing Yoga actually helped relieve the pain much more than GC supplements.

Yeah, I started doing yoga for flexibility and now that I think about it my joints felt great too. I need to get back at the yoga I think. What kind of yoga are you doing?

NastyNate420 - 
armbarseverywhere - I took it for a while after skateboarding wrecked my knees. But doing Yoga actually helped relieve the pain much more than GC supplements.

Yeah, I started doing yoga for flexibility and now that I think about it my joints felt great too. I need to get back at the yoga I think. What kind of yoga are you doing?

I forgot what kind it was.. I got into it because the girls on the show were really hot and I eventually got off my ass and copied the stretches. I combined that with stuff I learned in physical therapy and karate/wrestling. I use Yoga as a pretty general term when talking about stretching/poses.

You need to get some L Glutamine I do 5 grams 3 times a day its cheap as chips and makes a huge difference to me I had a shoulder reconstruction a few years ago and I could not lift without this stuff also helps with recovery. Phone Post