glutes not being worked by squats/deads

thread title pretty much sums it up. i have been progressing nicely with squats and deadlifts. the day after lifting, my hamstrings, inner thighs, and quads to a lesser extent feel sore or somewhat tired, but i never feel anything in my glutes. in fact, the only exercises that make my glutes sore are walking lunges and high step-ups. i have long lanky legs and am much stronger with my deadlift than squat.

what would be wrong with my form that is causing my glutes to remain completely unactivated? i am sort of confused because my hamstrings definitely feel the most sore, so i know im using my posterior chain, but for some reason the glutes are being left out.

Put more ass into it

-Rampage Jackson

i am going low, below parallel

also, soreness does not equal non-activation. Soreness equals soreness.

Wider stance squat, sumo deadlift, good morning accessory work, glute activation work (bridges and lateral band walks) on off days.

Wake your ass up before you squat. Phone Post

Chocolate Shatner - also, soreness does not equal non-activation. Soreness equals soreness.

This. I don't know how you can do proper deadlifts without using your glutes. It would be like doing olympic squats and not "activating" your quads.

Try lifting more......

Are you fatigued on your last couple of reps? Phone Post 3.0

banco - 
Chocolate Shatner - also, soreness does not equal non-activation. Soreness equals soreness.

This. I don't know how you can do proper deadlifts without using your glutes. It would be like doing olympic squats and not "activating" your quads.

Not using them at all is probably an overstatement, but it is well possible (and actually very common) to have deactivated glutes.

Usually, it's caused by tight hip flexors.

I recommend the following three steps to cover all your bases:

1. Work the glutes doing other exercises for now so they get stronger. You've already noticed that unilateral stuff works the best. Try one-legged squats instead, like pistols or step-ups. If you do step ups, start on a low step so that your beck leg has the knee on the floor instead of the foot to avoid assistance.

2. Stretch your hip flexors daily. Twice daily would be even better.

3. Practice activating your glutes. "Pinch the walnut" Pavel says, or something like that. Start by just sitting in a chair, standing, and at various degrees of leg bend and learn how it feels to tense them as much as possible at each phase. Once you have a good grasp on it, practice flexing them hard in the actual lifts.

If you follow these three steps, your problem will go away.

Recruit your anus.

CAN wrestler - Recruit your anus.

IMO Olympic squats destroy glutes. Ass to ankles. Phone Post

Superset your Squats with some Lunges. Or just do Lunges.

After permanently messing up my back, I've been experimenting with Brett Contreras's stuff, I like it, definately having no trouble frying my glutes. Check out his articles.

Without seeing your squat form its hard to say. Make sure the weight is on your heels, not your toes and when you stand up try to spread the floor with your feet. Phone Post 3.0

I had the same issue until i added glute raises to my warm up . My ass is gotten much harder after that lol just lay on the floor, bend a leg and push you heel toward the ceiling. There is also another you can do that you lay on your stomach and figure 4 your legs. Raise the knee of the bent leg as high as you can. Phone Post 3.0