Go Beard! But how to groom?

So...I am finally going bearded...to the misery of my wifey. She does not like a beard in any way possible.

But I will let it grow now for a longer time.

So...you guys have to know that I am blessed (?) with a strong crop of hair in my face. Just a week wothout shaving and the kids on the streets are calling me Wolfman.

That´s why I am looking for some handy tips how to groom my beard or which areas to shorten / shave, so that I am not looking as a bum.

Jokes apart, I have a strong growth of hair, but of course not all over the face. So no need to give ma advices to shave the forehead and stuff. But there are already areas I trim or shave, like a little above the strong beard...

What do you do for a smooth and awesome looking beard?

I follow my jaw line and shave my neck. I also shave right below my eyes because my hair grows almost right up to them. I buzz my sideburns to about a number 2 on the clippers and let it taper longer into my beard. This way i can keep a longish beard without it looking too out of control. I also trim my mustache so you can fully see my top lip. Looks pretty neat and clean. Phone Post 3.0

mike_rizzo - I follow my jaw line and shave my neck. I also shave right below my eyes because my hair grows almost right up to them. I buzz my sideburns to about a number 2 on the clippers and let it taper longer into my beard. This way i can keep a longish beard without it looking too out of control. I also trim my mustache so you can fully see my top lip. Looks pretty neat and clean. Phone Post 3.0

That´s it man! My beard grows pretty high, so I shave the areas under my eyes, too.

I would love to rock a nice looking beard, but as you have said...I do not want it to look our of control. Thanks man! VU!

Thanks Faux! Also a VU!

Mike...you´ve said you follow your jaw line...

Right at the jaw? So there´s a free area under your chin and stuff?

If you shave those areas, do you trim that? Or do you use a wet shaving? Most times, the areas under my eyes, I just shave dry with a blade, because it is not a s thick as the rest.

Jiu Jitsu doesn't work -

Mike...you´ve said you follow your jaw line...

Right at the jaw? So there´s a free area under your chin and stuff?

If you shave those areas, do you trim that? Or do you use a wet shaving? Most times, the areas under my eyes, I just shave dry with a blade, because it is not a s thick as the rest.

Yep right at the jaw. I dont think this works for everyone because it looks wierd on one of my friends. But it works well for me. An as far as shaving my neck, it has to be after a hot shower or after a few minutes of holding a hot towel on it to soften the skin. I use "the real shaving co" shaving cream. I basically soak my brush in hot water and put a dot of the cream on my hand. After that i just rub te brush on my hand and that little dot of cream turns onto a nice thick lather. I do this because some guy suggested it on youtube and his main point was that regular shaving cream has alcohol in it which closes your pores and can cause razor burn. It also lasts me about a year and its on $5.00 in rite aid. If i dont do this my skin will burn and bleed and be all irritated after. As far as under my eyes go, i can get away with not soaking that part in hot water but id still need shaving cream. Phone Post 3.0

You can go jawline but like he saud it doesn't work for everyone. I go by the two finger rule. My bottom line is basically two finger widths from the top of my Adams Apple. Look up and measure that way Phone Post 3.0

Thanks a lot guys!
I think I need to try that two fingers rule first. Will vote you guys up the next days.

Also, will look for some good shaving cream and stuff. Always used that cheap drug store cream, that worked ok. But I'm sure it can go better than this. Phone Post 3.0

Go full Bilzerian, or don't even bother. Phone Post 3.0

Eat mayo twice a day. Phone Post 3.0

Groom your beard? Do you shave your legs too?

just let it all go

Let it grow out for a couple months before trimming it how you ultimately want it. Also, don't trim it while it's wet. You could end up going too short. Beard oil or balm is nice as well as a beard brush. I recently got some Honest Amish balm from Amazon to try out. Loving it so far and my gf is really digging the smell Phone Post 3.0

Bought some balm for a shorter beard and some good shaving cream today.
It's pretty itchy right now and the balm should stop that...
...hope so. Phone Post 3.0

Jiu Jitsu doesn't work - Bought some balm for a shorter beard and some good shaving cream today.
It's pretty itchy right now and the balm should stop that...
...hope so. Phone Post 3.0
The itch is just a phase. It will go away Phone Post 3.0