Go to UFC forum/Harold Howard

There is a guy on the UFC forum trying to tell everyone that Harold Howard won a bunch of UFC prelim fights that were never televised.Can someone besides myseld,because I have very little patience,tell this guy he is incorrect?

Date: 01/17/04 03:40 AM
10 Total Posts Ignore User

(this from another board) Wow a Harold howard thread here at FC!?!! Well Harold is a good friend of my family's and is a great guy to drink with and talk about fighting. He still lives here in Niagara Falls and still operates his Karate school.
We took a fan bus up to see him in UFC 7 in Buffalo. He lost to Mark Hall. In UFC 3 he destroyed Roland Payne who was fighting in his hometown at that event. He does have an official win over Royce Gracie as mentioned as Gracie couldn't fight and had to forfeit.

What many don't know is that in UFC I, II, III and IV they had prelim fights that weren't televised, but were tryout fights for the final spots in the tournament of 8 guys. UFC I and II actually had the ROUND of 16, but it was shortened to ROUND of 8 because of injuries and such in pre-lim's. howard was 3-0 with 3 KO's in pre lim fights over guys who never made the cut.

In UFC 7 I remember they had pre-lim fights with guys who WEREN'T in the tourney, it wasn't televised.

well the UC did have try out fights though, didn't they? Just not at the event itself? Is it possible that's what he's talking about?

I mean, like when Joe Moreira fought Zane Frazier?

Didnt happen. i have the UFC 2 prelim tape .

"well the UC did have try out fights though, didn't they? Just not at the event itself? Is it possible that's what he's talking about? "

They did have keith Hackney fight the ramirez guy that Frye koed in 9 seconds but it wasn't a regular thing.it wasn't actually at the UFC and Harold Howard wasn't in any of them

I mean, like when Joe Moreira fought Zane Frazier? "

Frazier/Moreira was at WCC behind closed doors,not UFC

UFC site has a forum??

I think this guy is basically wrong. We would have read about this sort of thing elsewhere.

However, some- and I stress some- of the early UFC fighters were screened by Art Davie and others at underground fights- at least according to what I have read on the internet. I seem to remember reading that Tank Abbott was supposedly found this way.

the ufc did have 16 man tourneys in at least 1 of the first few i think

"the ufc did have 16 man tourneys in at least 1 of the first few i think "

We coverred that.The tape of those fights is out there

The only official UFC 16 man tournament was at UFC 2. If this guy is saying there were other 16 man tournaments with the first rounds behind the scenes, then I think that is news to me. I don't believe it personally.

There used to be preliminary fights to decide who the alternates were going to be for that evening. I never heard anything about any dark match tourneys though.