GOAT journalist Andrew Schulz: Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time

There probably will be a guy who can beat Fury in the future. That’s kinda how sports evolve. Look at the record progression in every sport with numbers next to it.

Reading comprehension not your strong point?

Go back and read what I said about Douglas again before you talk out of your ass.

The majority of Tyson’s opponents fought back.
There were many who tried and failed, and a few who got blown out early.
Frank Bruno tried like hell to beat Tyson. Maybe seeing Tyson walk through one of his clean power punches demoralized him some, LOL. But he certainly didn’t go in there to lose, and he did the best he could.
You could say the same about a lot of Tyson opponents.
That’s not a knock on Tyson, it’s a testament to his dominance.

Tyson had plenty of grit.
He used to walk through punches unphased and stick to his gameplan. He has an all-time chin.
The mental weaknesses we saw from him later were not at all evident at his peak-- at least not in the ring.
Life isn’t a stat sheet. It’s a fluid thing, full of nuance. Tyson is no exception.

So again, when you squawk about Tyson and make blanket statements ignorant of context – you aren’t convincing – you are exposing your lack of understanding.

And this has nothing to do with ranking Tyson.

I don’t have Tyson as GOAT, and he’s really not even on the short list.

My criticism is of your blanket statements and over-confident declarations that make you sound like a fucking kid.

I’ve had plenty of debates with members here who disagree with me about Tyson, or whoever. Usually, after some back-and-forth, there is some respect for the opposing opinion and some common ground acknowledged. Not always – but more often than not on boxing threads.
And there are plenty of members here who know boxing better than I do. Those are my favorite debates, because I might learn something.

With you, as far as I can remember – I have found those types of constructive debates to be pretty much impossible.

And LOL at you binging up picking fights again.
How long have you been here?
I pick the fights I’m interested in and sometimes I don’t bother because I just want to see what happenes.
I’ve been right a lot and wrong plenty too.
I don’t keep track because it doesn’t mean much and there isn’t money on the table.

What a silly thing to bring up.

You guys do realize you are arguing over a hot take, right?

LOL @ beating Wilder somehow being a gateway to GOAT status.

1 Like

Boxers have evolved physically but the skill – especially at HW – has regressed.

The old school gym rigor isn’t what it used to be.

I like throwback fighters like James Toney, and I think Fury kind falls in that category too.

So yes, athletes evolve with sports science.

But going from the 90s until now isn’t some giant leap like from a James Corbett or John Sullivan LOL.
I would argue the 90s were much more skilled and stacked at HW.
I think Furynwould have fit right in with the top contenders from that decade – but looking st current fighters – he’s the outlier.
His size and skill place him firmly among the contenders of any era.

But Wilder in the other hand, I think would struggle more in the 90s.
Not saying he wouldn’t get big wins and maybe even a piece of a title. But I don’t think he would have enjoyed the run he did, and I certainly think there would be several fighters who could beat him.

1 Like

No they didn’t lol the only opponents who fought back were Botha and the guys who beat him. And he was never in trouble in the Botha fight.

What was a tough fight were Tyson was in trouble and came back to win? None because any time someone brought the fight to him he lost. He’s never showed heart like Fury or Wilder

It’s current events.

And more interesting than MMA currently LOL.

Pretty sure your second line constitutes as an argument lol

Funny.

What the hell was Ruddick doing for all those rounds of not fighting back?

Even McGregor who people call a quitter has fights where he was losing and won. Got bashed up for 9 minutes against Mendes and won. Almost got finished by Diaz mauled at the end of the 2nd and 3rd rounds then came back to win

When has mike Tyson ever come in clutch like that? Any time he starts to struggle it’s over for him

Ruddock fight was not close lol it was exciting and he wasn’t as scared as most of Tysons opponents but Tyson was never in trouble in that fight. I feel like you haven’t even watched Tysons fights. I’m a bigger fan of him than you are I’m just realistic about his heart and ability

Lmfao yeah right. Miss me with that bullshit. If wilder, who isn’t even a technical boxer, can drop Fury a total of 3x, imagine what Muhammad Ali woulda done to him :rofl:

1 Like

When I watch videos of Mike Tyson, I see him demolishing far more athletic looking fighters than fighters of today.

Lots of athletic black heavyweights that now get into football instead of boxing.

You have three freaks in Wilder and AJ that are that are athletic. And Fury who is a giant and atheltic (although not athletic looking).

1 Like

Muhammad Ali’s opponents:

Wilder would kill Bill Russell- I mean Ali

I know you’re a troll but you gotta at least try my guy

Other way around. There’s more high level athletes trying boxing today.

Ray Mercer was a failed hs football player who started boxing when he was 24 and was champ in the Tyson era

Ron Lyle was a failed hs football player who started boxing in prison when he was 23 and gave Foreman and Ali great fights

Meanwhile Anthony Joshua broke the record for fastest 15 year old in British history and is a far more decorated black athlete than any boxer in the 1900s.

And more D1 football players than I can count have tried combat sports in the last 20 years and most failed at the lowest level.

But yeah, let’s go to the ol’ black athletes don’t compete like they used to myth lmao

What’s trolling about that? You think Henry Cooper is a top heavyweight today? He’s the same size as Caleb Plant, but slower and less skilled. Canelo would destroy Cooper who gave Ali the fight of his life

Interesting about Henry Cooper. I’d never read this before.

2 Likes

Yeah, Boxing had to change the rules after Ali’s corner cheated for him to beat 180lbs balding Henry cooper

Canelo vs Ali is a much better fight than Fury or Wilder vs Ali

I was little then. I’m just saying the guys Tyson fought in young Tyson highlights weren’t short and stock bums like the guys that fill Tyson Fury’s highlights other than Klitschko and Wilder. They were lean and muscular and athletic looking.