God as Heuristic or Dogma?

The troubling problems of existence - living in fear, alienation, and others - can all be addressed by appeals to God. What I've notice that the big exposed tree root that keeps tripping people up the factual existence of the "being" God.Suppose, on the other hand, "God" is accepted as the undeniable, unprovable presence...basically, what most "feel" God is. Take that as a given, for the sake of discussion. "God" is not defined by a dogma, unless one chooses to do so.At that point, God and Science take on a remarkable similarity - they are both an heuristic; that is, they become a process. One is a process to relieve us of fear, of alienation, of the damage caused by self-centered existence, of finding the will to be helpful...to get us outside the air-tight asylum of our own noggin. Science is the process used to investigate the nature of the external universe. The God process:Let go, let GodGod, grant me the strength to ...God, how can I be more loving today?God, thank you for granting me another day on earth.etc...It's a highly personal dialog in which one takes personal inventory and responsibility, whole shedding off worries that are beyond our control. It places no necessary restrictions on what "God" is.It's worth a try. I find this exercise leaves me happier at the end of the day - leading a more productive life, adding meaning to my actions, freeing me up to consider other perspectives. I don't have any obligation to summon the bean-counter front and center, demanding he explain exactly what this "God" is. Could be my better nature. Could nothing. Could be a being beyond my understanding. It doesn't matter. I make no claims on what God is. Anyways, something to think about...

I think that our search for God is comparable to the plant that searchs for light. We cannot live without it.

Even if some people call God as Nature, Science, Truth, they are always in the search for something.

Oh no ... people can live without God, no problem. If we make the term "God" so elastic that it can encompass virtually anything, it loses alot of its familiar characteristics.

e.g. I don't think anyone prays to "science" orwakes up in the morning and thanks Science for getting to live another day.

I'm thinking of God as a psychological process - an active internal dialog.

I see your point, Rastus.

But somehow I was trying to find out what is inside of us that looks for something that is not perceivable.

Why we feel the need to transcend our limits, to search for something.

It is not a feeling that comes from fear or alienation, you know what I mean?

"It is not a feeling that comes from fear or alienation, you know what I mean? "

I think I know what you mean - like a baby turtle that starts flopping its way to the ocean, we somehow are driven to higher meanings, bigger pictures, meaning.

I think, quite frankly, that sort of thing is at most an afterthought to many...but, then again, I've been accused of being an intellectual elitist...

GIVEN THAT NEED YOU'VE DESCRIBED, God can be an heuristic - a process - of transcending those limits. Faith, prayer, acceptance...these emotions are able to be harnessed by the process of God-centered existence.

Lost

On a painted sky

Where the clouds are hung

For the poet's eye

You may find him

If you may find him

There

On a distant shore

By the wings of dreams

Through an open door

You may know him

If you may

Be

As a page that aches for a word

Which speaks on a theme that is timeless

While the Sun God will make for your day

Sing

As a song in search of a voice that is silent

And the one God will make for your way

And we dance

To a whispered voice

Overheard by the soul

Undertook by the heart

And you may know it

If you may know it

While the sand

Would become the stone

Which begat the spark

Turned to living bone

Holy, holy

Sanctus, sanctus

Be

As a page that aches for a word

Which speaks on a theme that is timeless

While the Sun God will make for your day

Sing

As a song in search of a voice that is silent

And the one God will make for your way

...... Be, by Neil Diamond.

"Why we feel the need to transcend our limits, to search for something. "

Given that feeling, that need...God works to solve our problem, just as Science provides an heuristic in the Scientific Method that allows us to probe the accuracy of claims about our universe.

Dear Farther

We dream

We dream

We dream

While we may

Who are we to need

We need

We need

While we wait

While we wait

....... Dear Father, by Neil Diamond

Pretty lyrics, Donna.

Yeah...

"Jonathan Livingstone Seagul" is just one of those beautiful rare cases that is worth to "read the book, watch the movie, listen to the music".