God's only Son??!?

I heard an interesting term today on the local Christian radio station where the minister mentioned the love of "God's only Son". I did a word search but couldn't find the term "God's only Son" anywhere. However, I did find:

Jhn 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD.

1Jo 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his ONLY BEGOTTEN SON into the world, that we might live through him.

So, while there is no direct term "God's only Son" there is plenty of verses that identify "the only BEGOTTEN Son (of God)". I think this is interesting. Why?

Because the bible does actually reference other "son's of God"...

Adam is listed as the son of God:
Luk 3:38 Which was [the son] of Enos, which was [the son] of Seth, which was [the son] of Adam, which was [the son] of God.

Holy men and angels/fallen angels (including Satan):
Gen 6:2 That the SONS OF GOD saw the daughters of men that they [were] fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the SONS OF GOD came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

NT Born Again Believers:
Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the SONS OF GOD, [even] to them that believe on his name:

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the SONS OF GOD.

Now, it seems that the only distinction between the other "sons of God" and Jesus TEXTUALLY (by that I mean sentence structure not actual definable characteristics given in other verses) is the word "only Begotten". Jesus is called "The only BEGOTTEN..." I cannot find that word identified directly with the other sons of God.

Believers are called "begotten" but not 'only begotten'
1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is BEGOTTEN OF GOD keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

The word 'ONLY BEGOTTEN' in the greek is monogenes and it means basically "unique", or "single of it's kind".

In 1John 5:18 where it lists that the believer is "begotten of God" it uses the term "gennao" which refers being "fathered" but doesn't contain the uniqueness of "only begotten".

Of course, the fact that Jesus was fully God and fully man and had the Holy Spirit "without measure" would make him unique as opposed to the believer. Anyway, it was interesting that the term caused me some reflection and study to get a handle on what it means to be a "son of God" vs. the "only begotten Son of God".

Cool post, good insight!

Thats getting very technical and presise, very interesting. The main difference for me is created VS begotten. Making something out of your own power as opposed to of your own essence. A man can begat a child but cannot create one out of thin air.

Thanks mkirk1!

Very true Helwig. The bible says:

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was MADE of the seed of David according to the flesh;

The word for "made" is from the same root word as begotten. It's "ginomai". Strong's lists the following definitions for "ginomia"

1) to become, i.e. to come into existence, begin to be, receive being

2) to become, i.e. to come to pass, happen

a) of events

3) to arise, appear in history, come upon the stage

a) of men appearing in public

4) to be made, finished

a) of miracles, to be performed, wrought

5) to become, be made

You could certainly say that Jesus "came into existence, was made, appeared in public, appeared in history, or came on stage" about 2,000 years ago. It's important to note here that Paul is not speaking about Jesus Deity which was never "made" but always was. He specifically says "...made of the seed of David according to the flesh."

Anyway, I think you hit it on the head Helwig. Jesus was made and inhabited by the very essence of God. Glad you enjoyed it.

That's why it always angers me when people act like they are superior to their children. "I created you so I can destroy you if I want" That kind of garbage attitude. You didn't create shit.

You mean Bill Cosby's famous line: I brought you in this world and I sure as heck can take you out? :-)

""I created you so I can destroy you if I want" That kind of garbage attitude. "

I agree 100%, but on the other hand have I heard that argument a zillion times as a justification for God when he will send some people to hell.

Well my point wasn't really against that attitude but that parents didn't actual "create" their children but begat them. Only someone superior in being can judge one below them. Not superior in size, strength etc.

God doesn't send anyone to hell. People reject him and receive the punishment slated for the fallen angels.

If I tell my son that if you leave my house and go outside and don't come back in (it's about 1 degree out) that you will eventually die, yet all you have to do is walk in the front door...

and my son doesn't come in the house and eventually dies...did I condemn him and send him out to die or...

did he choose to reject what I offered and as a result died? That's kind of how I look at it.

Jesus wasn't made!

MG: Jesus wasn't made!

Me: welcome MG...sorry, but that part of Jesus known as His Humanity most certainly was. From the bible (not from me):

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was MADE of the seed of David according to the flesh;

You see, there was his conception as a human being and his birth:

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Mat 2:1 Now when Jesus was BORN in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

The word for "born" is "gennao" note it's similarity to the word "made" "ginomai". In fact, it means both "born", "begotten" or TO BE MADE. The Spirit was eternal (in Christ) but the flesh certainly wasn't. It was made.

I don't think he was arguing that Rooster.

Oh, then I'm not sure what he's arguing. I would never argue that the divinity/Spirit of Jesus was "made". That part the the Council of Chalcedon determined as "fully God" but rather that "part" that was known as "fully man".

Jesus was not "made". He always existed. He had no beginning or end.

His flesh body was simply a means for Him to dwell among us. But His existence preceded His flesh. In other words the Son existed even before He was "made" flesh.

"Before Abraham I am"

Incidently like Helwig stated I'm not arguing about Christ body not being made. In fact that was the only aspect that was "made". But Jesus in terms of who He was personality wise and every other aspect of who He was, was NOT MADE. Jesus ALWAY existed.

Christ eternal existence is spoken of in Hebrew 7:3.

MG, you kind of mix languages based on a confusion of two nouns...Jesus and the Son. Jesus is a Personal Name, The Son is a title which represents the work and office of Jesus.

this stmt you made..."Incidently like Helwig stated I'm not arguing about Christ body not being made. In fact that was the only aspect that was "made". But Jesus in terms of who He was personality wise and every other aspect of who He was, was NOT MADE. Jesus ALWAY existed. "...I completely agree with.

this stmt "In other words the Son existed even before He was "made" flesh." is incorrect as the Son only existed as part of the Plan or "logos" of God. The Son had a beginning and an ending...note:

"...therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. "

HOLY THING *BORN*=SON

Please see our last Trinity post for unanswered questions...

Rooster,

The SON did not have a beginning and He doesn't have an end.

Hebrew 7:3 alludes to this as does Jesus in Rev 1:8,11,17,18.

The Son is eternal. Regardless if Jesus is a "personal name" and the "Son" is a title they both refer to the very same "person".

mg: The SON did not have a beginning and He doesn't have an end.

Me: Hi MG, I really didn't want this thread to be a trinitarian vs. oneness thread. There are many unresponded questions I sent you on the other thread. However, sigh, let's take a look see here. You put that the Son did not have a beginning and an end. Jesus did not have a beginning or an end. "The Son" is a title that refers to a particular work of Jesus (personal name) but doesn't encompass his entire work. The Son refers to the incarnation. God and man. God-man had a specific, verifiable beginning (Jerusalem). In fact, you admit as such when you say, "Incidently like Helwig stated I'm not arguing about Christ body not being made. In fact that was the only aspect that was "made"."

That statement above reflect the certainty of the incarnation (God in flesh) having a beginning and not being eternal...that is that part called "flesh" or "man" or "body".

Please note, the scriptures explictely define the Son:

"...therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. "

It is the Holy thing born which is called the Son of God. What is the bible referring to? The baby. Not the Spirit of the Almighty w/in the babe but the "flesh" is called the Son of God. That's what the bible says.

more...

The definition of the word "Son" in both Greek and English are pretty straightforward. "Son" means "male offspring".

By nature, "sons" have to be "begotten" or birthed to become a son. Well, how can someone be the Eternal Son when the terms contradict (please don't say it's a mystery). In other words, one becomes a Son by virture of their birth. How can one be "eternally a son"? At some point, you are "made", "created" etc. Since the spirit of Christ is eternal and was not made, created etc...the Spirit is not a "son". It is the flesh, the babe, the humanity, that was begotten. Scripture states this CLEARLY AND EXPLICTELY and doesn't "allude" but is clear. As is our human language.

MG: The Son is eternal. Regardless if Jesus is a "personal name" and the "Son" is a title they both refer to the very same "person".

Me: Yes, but one refers to Jesus in all of his various offices (Jesus) and can refer to him as Spirit only, God-man, glorified man, High Priest, sacrifice, son etc. The other refers to a specific office and specific work of Jesus (Son) in becoming man and dying for mankind.

Rooster,

You can't separate the "offices" of Christ from the "person" of Christ.

They all refer to the same individual Jesus.

Before Jesus was crucified for our sins He was the Lamb of God. This title wasn't given to Him after He accomplished His work. He was the Lamb of God before the very foundation of the world.

Jesus was the Son of God before the foundation of the world. His relationship with the Father did not "begin" at the incarnation. This is one of the main point in John 1:1. "The Word was God and the Word was with God".

Furthermore Jesus is called the Son of God meaning HUIS. This greek word emphasize CHARACTER relation. Jesus being called the SON of God means more or less His character is EXACTLY like that of God.

Incidently don't get me started about what is CLEARLY and EXPLICTEDLY stated in the scriptures. If you truly believed that then you wouldn't have a problem accepting the FACT that the SON sits at the right hand of the Father, this is CLEARLY and EXPLICTEDLY stated in the scriptures (see Heb 1:3; 8:1; 12:2; 1 Peter 3:22; Rom 8:34; Eph 1:20; Col 3:1; Mk 14:62; Rev 3:21).

MG: You can't separate the "offices" of Christ from the "person" of Christ.

They all refer to the same individual Jesus.

Me: Yes, but they refer to DISTINCT offices. The office of "High Priest" was a distinct office from the "Sacrificial Lamb". Same individual being (Jesus) fufilling 2 distinct offices!

MG: Before Jesus was crucified for our sins He was the Lamb of God. This title wasn't given to Him after He accomplished His work. He was the Lamb of God before the very foundation of the world.

Me: Yes, but the scriptures says that God calls things before they are as if they are. Abram's name was changed to Abraham before he became the father of many nations. Jesus was the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the earth IN THE MIND OR PLAN OF GOD. He was not "slain" literally until He stepped into history, in the physical realm and performed His work. He was the "Son" only in the mind of God (Logos) and was literally a "Son" WHEN HE WAS BORN. That is what scripture affirm explicitly!

MG: Jesus was the Son of God before the foundation of the world. His relationship with the Father did not "begin" at the incarnation. This is one of the main point in John 1:1. "The Word was God and the Word was with God".

Me: Yes, it did LITERALLY begin at the birth of the "holy thing". That is when Jesus became a son. When He was "begotten". If not, was he "begotten" in some time in the past? If so, you now have a created being (like the JW's). If not and He is eternal (which I believe) He was not ever "eternally begotten" but begotten once...in Jerusalem 2000 plus years ago. The main point of John 1:1 is that the LOGOS (plan, character, salvation, nature of God etc.) WAS GOD and this plan was the whole point of creation. Further John 1:1 teaches that Jesus created ALL things which would include the universe, the earth, animals, people AND HIS OWN BODY. As such, HE IS OUR FATHER!