God's plan for you.

God has a plan for you.  This is a phrase that is often heard from religious people.  Is it true?  This saying and/or meaning behind it has always, and I mean always bothered me.

Here's why.  I will start light then go heavy. The devout Catholic Filipino immigrant who cleans the crappers at work.  He is a simple and humble man but has a really shitty job, is poor, and doesn't seem very happy.  Is this God's plan for him?  I sure hope not.

I bring up my janitor friend because when religious friends say God has plan the way they talk is that the plan means great things like Doctor, Lawyer, Clergy, missionary, etc.  I really rubs me the wrong way because...

Right now followers of Jesus Christ, many of them children are dying from starvation and illness.  They follow Jesus with all of their heart, live in extreme poverty, are uneducated, and then die young while having lived a life of hardship. Was that God's plan for them?  I sure as hell hope not.

Now that I am done ranting I honestly do not think God has a plan for any of us.  Do you?   Why?

For me it is another paradox.  God is a part of my life.  But he has no plans for me. 

What I really want to know though is how people who believe this reconcile that belief with the poor and suffering.  I look forward to all responses.

Gods does have a plan for you, a wonderful plan, of suffering, picking up your cross and following him. A downwardly mobile plan. But I can promise you one thing, the more you sacrifice the more you realize, you didn't sacrifice at all.

the rev

I remember that Jesus said something like he came for the ill people, not for the healthy.

In every stance in life, there is always a lesson to learn.

I know poor people that are happy, despite all the difficulties.

Perhaps it is a problem of yours to know that you would be unable to be poor.

Jesus didn´t have a place to rest his head.

God have plans. We have plans. But I guess we forget them when we reincarnate.

Great answer John.

Donna, I have no problem being poor.  My problem is with the idea that God's plan for some is to be a rich suburbanite (my word) while his plan for others is to die from malnutrion at the age of 5.

I really like the Rev's response.

Well, Cherrypicker, as you know about my beliefs, a child dieing young for weird reasons MUST have a cause from a previous life OR it is self-sacrifice the child made to help his parents to wake up for God.

Thanks Donna.  I can see how your outlook makes sense for you.

The statement that GOD has a plan for us is often taken from the Old Testament book of Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

At the time GOD was talking through His prophet Jeremiah to his poeple who were about to be carried off into exile at the time. But the same principle applies to us today.

Most of the things you mentioned in the examples you gave were regarding "material" things. In the bible it says "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

My beleif is that GOD does have a plan for our lifes, and wants us to prosper, But I try to remind myself that Jesus told us "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

A great example of following GOD through trials is that of Job He had every material thing a man living in his time could want, he then lost all of it but stayed strong in his faith in GOD, and in time was blessed with even more than he had before both spiritually and materially.

I guess my final point is

GOD DOES HAVE A PLAN FOR OUR LIVES.

That plan may not always be clear to us and it is often not always easy. And there are always things happening on this planet that are deeply saddening I believe GOD is moved by faith and not just circumstances. But GOD does have a plan for us as individuals and for mankind as a whole.

I beleive that end result of both of those plans are to reconcile us to Him for eternity.

Cherrypicker

I think you are being presumptous in assuming that dying from starvation and illness is somehow meaningless. It is a part of his plan. Everything we do is a part of creators plan. Everything that happens every single day is a chance for us to get either closer or fatherer from him. We gives us these chances to draw us close. But absolutely nothing about suffering is bad. Its meant to teach you something. If I was told that today I have a terminal form of cancer and I have a very limited amount of time to live, I would like to think that my reaction would be to say that everything in my life is going to reach its peak during these last few months of life that I would have, and that the most important thing that the Lord could ever teach me would be dished out in that period.

Did you read my thread on suffering? My point to this is that Yes, I believe that the one who made me created me for a purpose, and that whatever happens to me in life must be according to that purpose. So there is a plan, and just because your friend is cleaning tiolets does not mean that he isn't part of the plan. Maybe he doesn't like it, but there have been some people who were janitor's in the past who have grown to become very important people. The Baal Shem Tov, whom today is regarded as the Chassidic movement founder.