going from BJJ to Muay Thai...TME

Tired of the injuries in BJJ, thinking of putting the Gi away for awhile and starting some Muay Thai. 

I did it and love it! lots of BJJ injuries but main deciding factor was proximity of a great gym (walking distance) as life has changed after first kid.

1 Like
Frances - I did it and love it! lots of BJJ injuries but main deciding factor was proximity of a great gym (walking distance) as life has changed after first kid.

Have you had many injuries from Muay Thai? Im hoping to lower them lol

Ttt

I did muay thai *AND* BJJ for a while.  There were some other factors involved, but I choose muay thai over BJJ especially because of the injury/wear-and-tear situation.  Never looked back.

I don't consider muscle issues injuries, but I've had a couple... the worst one was a minor tear in my ass muscle (buttock?)... duck under and cross, I was really pushing it to see how much speed/power I could get out of it.  Better in a week.  The only non-muscle injury I've ever had was due to people being stupid in the gym.  I wanted to walk behind this one chick who was working the heavy bag (probably bad gym layout, that was the only path to get to the "big part" of the gym).  I waited and fucking waited until she was done.  She pauses, we look at each other, and I motion to go behind her and it's pretty obvious that's what I'm going to do.  Keep in mind that EVERYONE does this.  Just as I get behind her, she shuffles back and her heel pushes my one toe in, folding it up like an accordion.  Compression fracture I think they call that?  I pulled it back into shape and just stayed off it for a couple weeks.

Sore shins I guess but you kind of tune that out if you do enough bag and padwork.

I hurt my thumb (folded it back) a few times due to winging punches like an asshole.  Totally avoidable, lol.  Looking back, I'm not even sure why I'd want to punch like that.  "Youth" I guess.

I did "olympic TKD before getting into muay thai.  The fucking injuries just never stopped with that nonsense.  Why anyone would limit themselves to kicking with their foot or lower in-step is beyond me.  The over-reliance on static stretching too, completely counterproductive... also a constant source of minor background pain.

jgiveshead -

I did "olympic TKD before getting into muay thai.  The fucking injuries just never stopped with that nonsense.  Why anyone would limit themselves to kicking with their foot or lower in-step is beyond me.  The over-reliance on static stretching too, completely counterproductive... also a constant source of minor background pain.

olympic S T Y L E...

MOTHERFUCKING UG TOP MEN

Kirk, when are we switching over to that new system?  It's now or never buddy, I'm gonna have a stroke.

jgiveshead - 
jgiveshead -

olympic S T Y L E...

MOTHERFUCKING UG TOP MEN

Kirk, when are we switching over to that new system?  It's now or never buddy, I'm gonna have a stroke.

Working on it.

Screen name bet over?

And, yah, Muay Thai is a lot easier on your body than BJJ. Just remember to spar the same way you roll - with an emphasis on technique over speed and strength.

LOL, I think I lost that screen bet close to ten years ago.  I asked for it to be changed back then, but no response.  I assumed you guys just wanted to see me wear "jgiveshead" a little bit longer/indefinitely.

Please don't change it back to what it was.  I'm jgiveshead now.

Also, thanks for the blue.  I really don't deserve it and it's humbling to have it given to me.  I'll try not to be (as much of) a hateful asshole on here.

1 Like
jgiveshead -

LOL, I think I lost that screen bet close to ten years ago.  I asked for it to be changed back then, but no response.  I assumed you guys just wanted to see me wear "jgiveshead" a little bit longer/indefinitely.

Please don't change it back to what it was.  I'm jgiveshead now.

Also, thanks for the blue.  I really don't deserve it and it's humbling to have it given to me.  I'll try not to be (as much of) a hateful asshole on here.

I just read on another thread you vowed to behave for a little while and here it is... the power of the blue lol 

Kirik -
jgiveshead - 
jgiveshead -

olympic S T Y L E...

MOTHERFUCKING UG TOP MEN

Working on it.

Screen name bet over?

And, yah, Muay Thai is a lot easier on your body than BJJ. Just remember to spar the same way you roll - with an emphasis on technique over speed and strength.

Do you find more people sparring *light* in Muay Thai? Im sure people have egos everywhere but still

Do it. 

I train MT 5 days a week. Used to train bjj the same amount but had to slow my roll due to injuries and joint pain.

Dont get me wrong, MT is probably the more painful of the two, but I don’t get injured nearly as much (not counting bruises- you’ll get a lot of those in MT). 

1 Like
slm181 -

Do it. 

I train MT 5 days a week. Used to train bjj the same amount but had to slow my roll due to injuries and joint pain.

Dont get me wrong, MT is probably the more painful of the two, but I don’t get injured nearly as much (not counting bruises- you’ll get a lot of those in MT). 

What do you mean by more painful?

The Closed Guard -
slm181 -

Do it. 

Getting kicked in the legs and body hurts a lot more than a choke or joint lock, IMO. You’ll probably get more bruises and dings, but less likely to get an injury (hurt and injured are two different things for me). 

Personally, I had to give up bjj due to a herniated disc in my lower back and constant neck pain (injuries caused by bjj).

On the other hand, I have never been injured training MT. Sore and bruised plenty, but nothing that has forced me to take time away. 

slm181 -
The Closed Guard -
slm181 -

Do it. 

Getting kicked in the legs and body hurts a lot more than a choke or joint lock, IMO. You’ll probably get more bruises and dings, but less likely to get an injury (hurt and injured are two different things for me). 

Personally, I had to give up bjj due to a herniated disc in my lower back and constant neck pain (injuries caused by bjj).

On the other hand, I have never been injured training MT. Sore and bruised plenty, but nothing that has forced me to take time away. 

I also dont plan to spar super hard

Sparring at MT gyms varies tremendously.

I'm Thinking about it too. Might feel a little more comfortable getting back to the gym sooner with MT thanks BJJ. Very up close and personal training. And never trained any stand. Always felt awkward on the feet, even training takedown standing. 

wiggum - Sparring at MT gyms varies tremendously.

Im hoping to find people without egos? Lol

The Closed Guard -

Tired of the injuries in BJJ, thinking of putting the Gi away for awhile and starting some Muay Thai. 

Such a breath of fresh air.  I used to prefer bjj immensely,  but got a bit burned out, had a spinal fusion, etc.  You forget how much fun learning and sharpening your tools are (I did at least).  

mdrndaysamurai -
The Closed Guard -

Such a breath of fresh air.  I used to prefer bjj immensely,  but got a bit burned out, had a spinal fusion, etc.  You forget how much fun learning and sharpening your tools are (I did at least).  

Awesome! Yeah I messed up my neck a few times. Actually feel so good not training. 

1 Like