Going from semi auto to bolt action long range?

I currently have a .308 custom AR-10 platform rifle that I've shot out to near 1,000 yards. I've realized if I want to confortably hit 1,000 yards it's probably best to switch over to bolt action. I am going to stick with .308 even though it's not as popular due to newer rounds. I have a ton stock piled and there's a lot of variances of it bullet wise. Any suggestions for a super long range .308 bolt action under $2,000?

1 Like

tikka t3x tac, sportster, or ctr.

1 Like

I've looked at those. I was thinking Seekin Precision or BadRock South Fork. Both are around $2,000ish.

Yeah, I ditch the SKS for the K-98 now, too.

I would build my own personally, for $2k you could build something that will probably out perform you. If you want something built then a Tikka T3, Bergara B14 HMR, Browning X bolt and the Remington 700 are all great guns. I lean more towards something built for hunting, not strictly match shooting but I've got the Tikka and a 700 from their custom shop and the Tikka is the best sub MOA gun out of the box I've ever shot. You can take it off the shelf and shoot 600 yards with no problems. As I said, I'd build one so I could get everything I wanted, I built my 6.5 and while I did save a little money, it is exactly the way I want it and a package I couldn't but. 

1 Like
jasperb -

I would build my own personally, for $2k you could build something that will probably out perform you. If you want something built then a Tikka T3, Bergara B14 HMR, Browning X bolt and the Remington 700 are all great guns. I lean more towards something built for hunting, not strictly match shooting but I've got the Tikka and a 700 from their custom shop and the Tikka is the best sub MOA gun out of the box I've ever shot. You can take it off the shelf and shoot 600 yards with no problems. As I said, I'd build one so I could get everything I wanted, I built my 6.5 and while I did save a little money, it is exactly the way I want it and a package I couldn't but. 

I've thought about it. I know the ins and outs of AR based rifles but never really dabbled in bolt action specifics and customization. I just have a Weatherby and 700 I hunt with but I've never modified them. 

The OG for long range shooting is - www.snipershide.com

Bergara. Superb barrels.

Several choices in that cal. from $700- $2000.

308 is not good for long range unless you are using some extremely hot loads. Switch to a better long range caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor, good out to 1500 yards.

I'm a Savage guy, have a 10T. Shot it half moa (3.5inches) at 600 yards, 3 round group. 

Tikka is great, bergara is awesome. Or, if you have money, get an Accurate Ordnance. 

Kevin85 -
jasperb -

I've thought about it. I know the ins and outs of AR based rifles but never really dabbled in bolt action specifics and customization. I just have a Weatherby and 700 I hunt with but I've never modified them. 

You can buy a barrelled action and then get a stock, it's actually easier than putting together an AR. 

Dryfly - Bergara. Superb barrels.

Several choices in that cal. from $700- $2000.

I mentioned the Bergara, my only issue with them is if you are hunting and doing a lot of walking they are fairly heavy, that’s where my T3 shines for me as well, it’s lite . Overall though, you are right, they are an awesome bolt gun and should definitely be at the top of a short list. 

SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

308 is not good for long range unless you are using some extremely hot loads. Switch to a better long range caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor, good out to 1500 yards.

I'm a Savage guy, have a 10T. Shot it half moa (3.5inches) at 600 yards, 3 round group. 

Tikka is great, bergara is awesome. Or, if you have money, get an Accurate Ordnance. 

I think he wanted 308 because of the ammo he has, but I agree. 308 past 400 yards, especially for hunting would not be my choice. Yes, I know, snipers use them but we are talking about putting a 2-600lb animal down quickly, not knee capping a terrorist.

There are some really nice calibers out there that won't make your shoulder pay the price. The 26 Nosler is a bad dude as well as the 6.5 284 Norma and 6.5 300. The 26 Nosler will give ultra mag numbers in a standard length cartridge, a 142 grain will put one out at around 3300 fps. 

Stu Cazzo -

ASPETTA, you need to stop this. Every fucking time you post on gun threads, I wind up wanting to spend money lol.

Jesus, I only got as far as the user name Kevin and the thread title. I thought you were that Kevinbears dude. I thought he'd gone Chernobyl. 

Altofsky -
Stu Cazzo -

ASPETTA, you need to stop this. Every fucking time you post on gun threads, I wind up wanting to spend money lol.

Haha -

I posted a 1k gun because his glass will cost the same if not more. Apparently the Ruger gun is amazing for the price...

I'm looking 45/70 with a suppresor for my next rifle....probably a Marlin Dark