Going house hunting

Like the title says, I'm going house hunting this week. This will be my first house so I'm not sure what to look for.

Most of the places I'm looking at are detached homes built around the 1980s.

I know the roof and windows can be expensive if they need to be replaced. What else should I watch out for? Phone Post 3.0

Is it house season already? Phone Post 3.0

" What else should I watch out for?"

Everything.

If you have a friend or family member involved in construstion or restoration, take them with you.

Leave no stone unturned or you will move in and have to drop $4000 a week later on a new furnace (or something like that) like we did. Phone Post 3.0

If you are buying an older house. You need to buy at least 20k under your Max budget. Most likely something Will go wrong and you want wiggle room to replace it. Phone Post 3.0

Don't overbuy.

Don't get stuck in a place you hate, in case you really get stuck there.

Buy into a good school system only. Make sure you have the Elementary, Middle and High School mapped out to the street level and know yours. Don't trust your real estate agent for this they are liars. I've even seen them advertise the wrong school on a for sale house flier.

$4000! Alright, I'll make sure to test out the furnace and ventilation systems. Phone Post 3.0

Matt Ward - If you are buying an older house. You need to buy at least 20k under your Max budget. Most likely something Will go wrong and you want wiggle room to replace it. Phone Post 3.0
I should have some $$ left over for renos and repairs Phone Post 3.0

Hire a home inspector.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Get a home inspector,,,
But take the time to check EVERYTHING . All the lights, all the outlets...every broken drawer... We were so stoked to find a house in a specific neighborhood, we glossed over a lot of stuff Phone Post 3.0

rustyshakleford - Get a home inspector,,,
But take the time to check EVERYTHING . All the lights, all the outlets...every broken drawer... We were so stoked to find a house in a specific neighborhood, we glossed over a lot of stuff Phone Post 3.0
This is essentially what happened to us.

Don't bother with an inspector until you narrow down your choices to a handful or less. They're not free. Phone Post 3.0

Be sure to bring atleast a .308 rifle.
And aim for the center of the foundation, or the central air system.
Ya want a nice clean kill. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Cletus Redpecker III -

Don't bother with an inspector until you narrow down your choices to a handful or less. They're not free. Phone Post 3.0
What kind of stuff did you guys gloss over? Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - Be sure to bring atleast a .308 rifle.
And aim for the center of the foundation, or the central air system.
Ya want a nice clean kill. Phone Post 3.0
Lol center of the foundation Phone Post 3.0

Furnace, insulation, old water piping, siding not quite right in a few spots, garage door damage, asshole neighbors. Phone Post 3.0

And gutters. Phone Post 3.0

I read the title as "Going horse hunting". (Seriously.)

just take pictures of the ones you like and post them here.

home inspectors can be good but they can cause a lot of problems too. It is best to hire one but do some homework and find a good one.

some basic things...
Does the house have natural gas? Natural gas is better for heating than oil or electric.
how old is the heating system?

where are you located anyway? is Air Conditioning important? if so, look for central AC.

many houses this age will have extensive rot on the exterior trim and window sills. rotted sills most often mean you should replace the whole window. Rotted trim definitely needs to be replaced and then painted. Sux when the facia behind the gutters are rotted.

lots of builders used a very shitty siding product back then known as masonite. do not buy a house with this type of siding unless you have money to strip and reside the whole house. (failed masonite could be hidden behind vinyl siding too) its like cardboard so you can do the math.

what is the age of the hot water heater/storage tank?
if there is a white bath tub, try to fill it up with hot water. If the water is brown or rusty, the tank need to be replaced.

do the appliances stay? if so, do they all work and what is the age of them?

look at the roof. how many layers of shingles? people save money by adding a 2nd layer vs stripping and re-roofing. you can only do this once (even though I've seen 3 layers).

septic or sewer? Sewer is better.

I know all this shit and I still got fooled by one thing. One of my full baths had a fiberglass shower/tub stall. it was oversized and a big plus. it had one of those rubber bath mats in it, I assumed it was so the kids didn't slip an fall. Nope, it was to hide a big crack in the fiberglass. I had to rip it out and replace.

you should expect to find lots of issues with a house this age. that's why you need to keep money aside for repairs.
identifying issues should help you negotiate the price too.

"septic or sewer? Sewer is better"

This is huge.

We had to fight with the guy selling our house to get him to convert septic to city sewer. This was the last holdout in the neighborhood, unfortunately.

$10,000.

Chimp vision -
TFK_Cletus Redpecker III -

What kind of stuff did you guys gloss over? Phone Post 3.0
Hey! Sorry I'm late to responding.,,
We were in love with the house and in a rush to move due to my spine surgery coming up...
We missed burned out outlets, fucked up light fixtures ,,, fucked up sprinklers ,,, loose cabinets,,,
Just dumb little stuff, but it added up.... Phone Post 3.0