Going into BJJ for the first time....

Currently i train in judo (green belt) and was thinking of taking some BJJ lessons as i'd like to spend more time doing groundwork as i feel pretty limited with the ground skills that i've learned in judo.

Any tips/hints for a newbie?

Relax and have fun.

Be prepared to get tapped ruthlessly by the skinny unassuming white belt with a gi two sizes too big for him. Oh yeah and have fun and be a sponge. Take it all in Phone Post

What's sparring/rolling like usually?

At my judo club we start (unoffically) at around 7.40pm, drill some throws til 8/8.05, then groundwork for about 10 minutes, then drilling throws and then we spar (randori) from around 8.45 til 9pm.

How does it "usually" go down in a BJJ club?

Warmups. Technique for the night. Then training Phone Post

Andy the man - What's sparring/rolling like usually?

At my judo club we start (unoffically) at around 7.40pm, drill some throws til 8/8.05, then groundwork for about 10 minutes, then drilling throws and then we spar (randori) from around 8.45 til 9pm.

How does it "usually" go down in a BJJ club?

If your judo club is anything like mine, you're not going to see/do newaza drills like back-to-backs, 30 second escapes, or submission/position only rounds(ie: you can only win by hadaka jime/yoko shiho).

In bjj you're gonna warm up similarly, with a lot of stretching and ground movement, but typically not ukemi and definitely not gymnastics(cartwheels/sommersaults). You'll usually drill 1-2 takedowns at the start of class(10-15 minutes), then drill 2-3 ground techniques, and finish up with 20-30 minutes of free rolling, alternating partners every round.

Expect them to approach groundwork like your judo class approaches standup, while approaching standup like your judo class approaches groundwork.

@ msg - Awesome.

Hope it's like that as i LOVE groundwork.

We did a session before where we rolled with an ex member of the algerian judo squad, we got there at about 7.40 and from then til 9pm we must of only did 15 minutes of stand up. Nothing but pure groundwork. That's the most worn out that i have EVER been from judo, and i'm left hanging every session.

@ Setree - Cheers for the reply.

Remember no slamming! ;)

Good luck, hope you enjoy your class.

Keep your elbows tight, no ezekiel chokes when inside someone else's closed guard and try not to spaz too much.

Pull off a twister.

So in sparring, we start on the feet?

We can go for standing sumbissions?

I take my opponent down and bam! can sub him?

Enlighten me on the sparring aspect please guys.

Imagine newaza randori. It's like that, minus the back to back/drills. You face your parnter on your knees and randori until someone taps and you continue until the next rotation.

Rare is the bjj school that does much from the feet...even less who'll 'spar' with stuff like waki-gatame. "Too dangerous" they say...

Thanks bro.