Going to buy a gaming p.c

I don't know enough to build one myself so i thought id just buy an alienware or something similar.

Only there are two problems.

1.) I funny know the first thong about the hardware of p.c's

2.) I'm on a budget. I don't want to spend more than 650-700 but i can go as high as 800 max.

Is it worth it to buy one for that price, or is it cheaper to build one myself.

What specs should i look for.

Any advice would be helpful. Phone Post 3.0

Alienware is out if you don't want to spend. Best bet is probably newegg or tigerdirect Phone Post 3.0

bruddahoodaman - Alienware is out if you don't want to spend. Best bet is probably newegg or tigerdirect Phone Post 3.0
Alienware prices were insane.

A majority of them were well over 1500 Phone Post 3.0

build one if you can, otherwise some shops you buy the parts from will put it together for you for fairly cheap as its not hard, you will save a lot of money

never buy alienware

remember that PC manufacturers mostly just put together parts made by other people, so there is nothing special about alienware at all other than an obscene price and a tacky case

It is so easy to build your own gaming rig. I spent 800 for a fully charged rig 2 years ago.

There are you tube videos with instructions. Phone Post 3.0

Stay away from Alienware, major rip off Phone Post 3.0

I'm waiting for occlus rift and that new omni VR treadmill ( holy shit) then I'm splurging. Phone Post 3.0

Look online for suggestion of what to buy to build yourself. It will be much cheaper that way, and there are lots of different options of how to do it, 

This is just one that I found there are many more out there. 

http://www.maximumpc.com/build_pc_recommended_builds_february_2014

Rookie29's boner just stabbed and killed 6 people after reading this thread Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post 3.0

I think there are smaller, cheaper Alienwares but I think they may be out of that budget. ASUS makes something that rivals it for much cheaper. I forget the model, but if you want me to check my history, I'll dig it up. It's the one I almost bought.

I have a M17 Rx3 and I love the fucking thing. Watching media or playing games on it is the tits - bass, crystal clear, like it's coming from a TV. Facial recognition, drop protection on the drive, 3D, RAID, 8 processors, yada, yada, yada. Everything opens with a click.

On the flip side, besides the obvious expense, if you don't know much about computers, you'd be a bit lost. This model anyway is temperamental - don't have experience with the 18. When I first got it, I had to baby it and fix a few things. I'm running Linux on it, so I've tweaked it out and she runs SMOOTH. I don't use it for gaming, but business and media. 

The other con, is that it weighs a TON. Great if someone tries to rob you. You can just swing your laptop bag at him and straight KO a motherfucker. It's so heavy that my shoulder strap broke after 3 months.

Mariooo1UP - Rookie29's boner just stabbed and killed 6 people after reading this thread Phone Post 3.0
Lol vu Phone Post 3.0

ausgepicht -

I think there are smaller, cheaper Alienwares but I think they may be out of that budget. ASUS makes something that rivals it for much cheaper. I forget the model, but if you want me to check my history, I'll dig it up. It's the one I almost bought.

I have a M17 Rx3 and I love the fucking thing. Watching media or playing games on it is the tits - bass, crystal clear, like it's coming from a TV. Facial recognition, drop protection on the drive, 3D, RAID, 8 processors, yada, yada, yada. Everything opens with a click.

On the flip side, besides the obvious expense, if you don't know much about computers, you'd be a bit lost. This model anyway is temperamental - don't have experience with the 18. When I first got it, I had to baby it and fix a few things. I'm running Linux on it, so I've tweaked it out and she runs SMOOTH. I don't use it for gaming, but business and media. 

The other con, is that it weighs a TON. Great if someone tries to rob you. You can just swing your laptop bag at him and straight KO a motherfucker. It's so heavy that my shoulder strap broke after 3 months.

You doing line you know your shit.
so let me ask this, if i buy a prebuilt p.c like a cybertron or something similar, do they come fully loaded or do i face to buy additional hardware on top of the computer.

Oh and a aside note, im looking for desktop, not laptop, so i can hook it up to the big screen in my room Phone Post 3.0

Steambox look interesting tbh. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - Steambox look interesting tbh. Phone Post 3.0
Those look ok but i heeded they rely went too powerful. I want a stong enough pc where i don't have to worry if it supports this hasn't or that one Phone Post 3.0

Alienware systems are some of the higher priced systems out there. They have a lot of eye candy in their appearance and packaging. I know from working experience that we've had hardware problems with almost every Alienware laptop the company has purchased. I have called Dell (Dell owns Alienware so they always warranty any hardware problems) to replace the display adapters in about all the laptops at work. However, I think it's an overheating issue being a laptop and trying to pack all that hardware in a small system. The desktop Alienware systems we have all seem to be holding up well. Phone Post 3.0

The Brotorious B.I.G - 
ausgepicht -

You doing line you know your shit.
so let me ask this, if i buy a prebuilt p.c like a cybertron or something similar, do they come fully loaded or do i face to buy additional hardware on top of the computer.

Oh and a aside note, im looking for desktop, not laptop, so i can hook it up to the big screen in my room Phone Post 3.0

Sorry brother. I'm not savvy on hardware builds. Some of the other guys on this thread seem to be though!

headroll - Alienware systems are some of the higher priced systems out there. They have a lot of eye candy in their appearance and packaging. I know from working experience that we've had hardware problems with almost every Alienware laptop the company has purchased. I have called Dell (Dell owns Alienware so they always warranty any hardware problems) to replace the display adapters in about all the laptops at work. However, I think it's an overheating issue being a laptop and trying to pack all that hardware in a small system. The desktop Alienware systems we have all seem to be holding up well. Phone Post 3.0

I wonder if that differs from model to model. I'm going on almost 4 years and haven't had a single hardware issue.

RyannVonDoom - Steambox look interesting tbh. Phone Post 3.0

Hell yeah.

They are releasing an OS too. Debian based.

Go to newegg or similar site and buy the gear. It's so easy to build.

- Buy barebones w/700watt minimum power supply.

- buy memory
- buy hard drive(I went with 1 SSD to load OS and a 2 TB data drive.
- buy chipset(motherboard and processor together.
- buy CD/DVD drive 16x minimum.
- if you don't have a solid graphics card, do research on what you want to do and find the best option.
- buy a good heat sink and fan combo for your CPU/processor if you didn't have one.

These are literally snap in parts. Phone Post 3.0