Gonna try boxing

Tusken, don't be scared away. Trust me you have to find the right people to work with, and take the advice I gave Jonpall earlier in the thread. Learn GOOD footwork and GOOD head movement. Learn to throw your jab fast and learn how to power it when you need. Learn to keep your opponent off of you. Learn to land your jab first and when you can do that effectively then you will be able to let the other punches flood in behind the jab. It's good stuff, bro and it's great conditioning and experience. Do it for a year or two...

1 groovy is right. learn to step in behind the jab. my first 'coach" forgot to tell me that and i reached big time, getting myself way overextended. next thing i know, i was down and OUT. move your body as a unit, maintain good posture and protect yourself at all times.

as far as getting hit, it helps to protect yourself by maintaining good form. otherwise, head shots are uncomfortable, but don't exactly hurt. body shots can give you a "sick" or nauseus feeling. as for the one time i was ko'd i didn't feel ANYTHING at all. i just kind of woke up and couldn't remember what had happened. i still have no idea how long i was out. the trainer said "all, it was a couple of seconds". some teenagers that witnessed it said it was like 15 minutes. i guess the truth is somewhere in between.

Pretty big difference between a few seconds and 15 minutes. 15 minutes is a scary amount of time to be out!

*slips into smug mode...*

Hey, i can do waaay better than 15 mins. :)

Actually i got attacked from behind by 2-3 blokes back in the summer. Cant remember anything about the 'fight' (knuckles were clean so i dont think i even got a shot off...) but was unconcious for about an hour. Woke up in the hospital with a hole through my lip and a cut/abrasion/swelling running from my ear to under my eye. Apparently i was found lying in the gutter by police who called the ambulance, which picked me up and took me to hospital all without me waking. Nice huh?

damn, that sucks HULC. Why'd they do that?

Some girl was walking down the rd swearing and pushing people. She tried it on my mate and they had an argument, with me in the middle trying to calm it down. There was about 4 girls and one of them went and got her brothers over to 'do us'. I talked to the leader and he seemed ok, we calmed it down and he had nothing to say to me. But, obviously, at some point after i had turned my back and started to walk away they changed their minds and jumped me. Still dont know what it was really all about to be honest, just a bunch of cowards who wouldnt start anything to my face i think.

1groovy, yeah, fifteen minutes is a HELL OF A LONG TIME TO BE OUT! I just wish i knew the truth of how long i was actually out. Anyhow, i felt fine after i woke up. hopefully i learned a valuable lesson about defense.

damn hulc, those GIRLS must have been tough as nails! putting you out for 30 minutes. damn!

LOL! :)

;p

jonpall how did it go? ive just written a review of the sbg don familton tapes and posted it on the JKD forum. i can post it here also if people actually want to read it lol

yeah when I was eight I got crakced in the head with a bat by my brother I was out for about 30 secounds that was bad enough. That prolly doesn't compare to you guys. I have never been knocke out since then and I have been in a few fights. In the ring and out. armed and not.

yeah and for boxing advice big J if your afraid of getting hit in the face you might want to adapted mike tyson's peak-a-boo style that is if you like giving hooks and don't mind body shots. In my opinion a body punch might hurt but it won't leave you slurin your words and druling when your fifty. So in other words protect your head get used to getting your lumps or quit now. Its the toughest sport out there most people aren't made for it they protend they are but ther aren't. you have to have a certain mentality, you can't be givin it you are born with it and to be a top boxer you need it. Its somthing that can be tought but it can only be enhanced. And by the way those people that said oh he's a rooky so I took it easy on him. I think thats crap. If you get in my Fucki%# ring your my enemy I hate you I want to tear you apart and make it look easy. You know when I think about it this probally exsplains why I don't spare much. However after the last bell rings we are cool the war is over. You got to teach a rooky that people shouldn't overlook because you are new and if they do your going to knock them on there ass. And if they think you fluked out you'll do it again but smilling at the same time. But what the hell do I know

Well I find boxing to be a lot less painful than Judo if you train on a weekend warrior level like I do. the worst injury in gotten in 8 months of boxing is a bleeding nose, I have about a dozen injuries from three years of Judo that will be haunting me for the rest of my life. Getting hit in the face dosent hurt but it takes quite some time before your able to take a shot and not let it change your state of mind, at first every time I would take a good shot to the head I would just go into defense mode and thats when my opponent would go in for the kill. Took me a good 2 and half months before I stopped doing that.

Yeah I took Judo for about a year i never got injured once. And in boxing I haven't ever got injuried either. (by injury I mean like broken hand foot ankle realy bad sprains weak sprains you can box through and dislocations would be an injury) none of these have happened to me. I think its actualy a pretty safe sport if you box at certain levels. I have been injured worse in basketball then in boxing for a matter of fact. lol

speaking of getting hit, does anybody know where they sell these "new" type of headgear that protects the nose? I get a bloody nose a lot.

"If you get in my Fucki%# ring your my enemy I hate you I want to tear you apart and make it look easy."

Wow! Glad none of my training partners feel that way about me!

Amen to that.