Good coach appreciation thread

We've all seen/experienced the coach that comes in late, teaches, and leaves. The guy that has an 800 square foot mat space but drives a bentley. Just another job, just another paycheck.

Then there's the guys that come early, stay late, drive their teams to tournaments, call people who haven't been in for a while, and take what they earn and put it back in the gym. The coaches that go the extra mile for the love of the sport.

My coaches, Matt and Roli, started from scratch in a 1200 sq ft gym...that's including the lobby, office, bathroom and dressing room. They're great teaches and great people so the gym started to grow. Did they go get sweet rims? Nope. They got us an 8000 square foot gym. More people, they got us a cage. Some more, a ring. Some more...more mats. Everything we put into them, they put right back. They've brought in excellent guest instructors without a fee to the students, just to help us become well rounded. They organize gym movies, halloween parties, and make sure we're all more than just strangers working out in the same place.

Here's to you, good coaches. Feel free to add stories of your own.

I like to brag on them...so here's everything my coaches built from scratch...yes, including me.  I wouldn't be anywhere without them.

My first coach was a karate guy that would always tell us that martial arts were more like doing a play and that "real fighting" was shooting someone or "driving trucks up against the exits of the bar they hang out at and setting the place on fire." I learned some great lessons there and I hate to see people lump TMAs together because of it.

Great thread, TTT.

BTW I had no idea you were a robot, that is cool. What is that like?

This road trip is long over due. LOL at Justin pooping in the back round!

Also, Matt and I enjoy the toys too! Thanks! P.S. you missed some awesome butterfly work today with Justin, Matt, Willy and I. I should have called you, my bad! Ask Matt to show you tonight.

That gym is awesome..

I could bounce a lot of heads of those tatami!!!

Great post, Hillary. TTT for Westside.

I'll post my own little story some time soon

My instructor is John Donaher.

End of thread.

TrainJudo - That gym is awesome..

I could bounce a lot of heads of those tatami!!!

they dont have any judo whitebelts

Good post and thread.

That gym is SICK and before Roli gave me some good advice not to jump into things and open my own gym which i appreciate Roli, I was searching around for the cheapest mats and with the prices i got i can't imagine how much you spent on mats alone.

TTT for a good guy doing his thing at age 27!

ivan wikert

good for the sport

that is all

AZ Combat

great team, great instructors.

ttt 4 the $ide

HardHittingHeeb - My instructor is John Donaher.

End of thread.

Danaher iirc

Hillary - We've all seen/experienced the coach that comes in late, teaches, and leaves. The guy that has an 800 square foot mat space but drives a bentley. Just another job, just another paycheck.

Then there's the guys that come early, stay late, drive their teams to tournaments, call people who haven't been in for a while, and take what they earn and put it back in the gym. The coaches that go the extra mile for the love of the sport.

My coaches, Matt and Roli, started from scratch in a 1200 sq ft gym...that's including the lobby, office, bathroom and dressing room. They're great teaches and great people so the gym started to grow. Did they go get sweet rims? Nope. They got us an 8000 square foot gym. More people, they got us a cage. Some more, a ring. Some more...more mats. Everything we put into them, they put right back. They've brought in excellent guest instructors without a fee to the students, just to help us become well rounded. They organize gym movies, halloween parties, and make sure we're all more than just strangers working out in the same place.

Here's to you, good coaches. Feel free to add stories of your own.

I like to brag on them...so here's everything my coaches built from scratch...yes, including me.  I wouldn't be anywhere without them.

amazing......the gyms not bad either

Very awesome post, Hillary!

TTT

akebh - 
HardHittingHeeb - My instructor is John Donaher.

End of thread.

Danaher iirc

You're right. Good thing he's not my Spelling Bee coach.

ttt for both of my instructors right now.

Florence fight farm when i started out training there we were in a 2 car garage type building with 10-20 guys. We kept growing now we are in a 1200sq foot building (i think it's a good size) avg 20 people a month and still growing and our guys are wining in tournaments and their fights.

Also my new striking insrtuctor Nick Rodriguez we may be training tight this moment but he is looking to build a bigger building soon. Stays late works on whatever i want but mostly what i need.  check him out at   muaythai-gear.com

ajl416az - AZ Combat

great team, great instructors.

I can vouch for that. I'm too young for a car rental/hotel room in CA, and I was stranded alone at Pan Ams this year. I called Gustavo Dantas, whom I'd only taken a lesson with one time, who said I was welcome to stay in a hotel and ride to and from the tournament with the guys. On top of that, he helped coach me to a blue belt gold medal.

HardHittingHeeb - My instructor is John Donaher.

End of thread.

Kirik took me up to Renzo's for an afternoon this past summer. John was super busy beating up black belts and teaching the class. I sat by the side by myself waiting to roll, very intimidated with the size and history of the gym. He motioned for me to come over, introduced me to a few good guys and got me some very good rolls. Afterward, knowing what a big deal it was, I asked for a roll. He said, "Sorry, but I'm already late for a private lesson." He paused then asked, "Wait...how long are you here?" AS soon as I reply "just today" he put his gi top back on and rolled with me for at least 8 minutes.

TTT for both of these coaches!

the best coachs i have found are Ken Rayford- for boxing
and Tony Fryklund they have helped me out alot everytime.