Good fighting schools in Australia

Would people here like to create a canonical list of all the good fighting schools in Australia? I'm specifically talking about schools which are focussed on real life/vale tudo fighting. Such a school would tend to be:

- more interested in free sparring than katas/forms
- willing to train in multiple arts/MMA
- willing to modify techniques, take a fluid approach to fighting as opposed to following a centuries-old tradition.

Is it just me or is Australia starved for choice?

"Would people here like to create a canonical list of all the good fighting schools in Australia?"

No.

"Is it just me or is Australia starved for choice?"

No.

I would think most of the schools listed on the front page of this forum fit into your criteria

I'm not educated enough to know whether the list is a canonical list ;)

I'm only slightly more educated (i.e. can use Google?) and I cannot see the value in investing in the development of such a list.

"...are focussed on real life/vale tudo fighting."

IMHO that implies TWO focuses... which illustrates the problems relating to making such subjective assessments of schools.

There are schools all over the country that teach MMA. Usually they will also be a BJJ/Grappling school so no Katas will be seen.

Is this a rhetorical question or are you looking to move here and train? If so, then what state are you heading to? If not, the check out the front page of the fourm... :)

Elvis

Vale Tudo isn't real life.

Imagine a true to life 'reality' fight training centre???

Seriously, you would pay your membership, turn up to class and then without warning or provocation another student will attack you, no rules, reality, bashing you senseless unless you retaliate and disable him first!!!

Afterward you will be interrogated by police or else rushed to hospital in a critical state. Reality remember.

Private lessons might consist of a highly qualified fighter, stalking you during daily life and attacking you at home or at work, while your out with your friends.

Imagine what an amazingly skilled fighter you would become after training a few weeks in a 'reality' fighting school???

Just a thought???

;) (just for you Ben cause I know you're reading)

Regards

Gerald.

Well he disappeared post haste.

Elvis

Gerald, I understand that vale tudo is not 'real life' fighting, but it's obviously a lot closer to it than Olympic taekwondo.

Clearly an ultra-real-life fighting school would be ethically impossible, but I think it's the case that some schools make a decision to lean in that direction more than others.

Your suggestions remind me of the Pink Panther.

"Private lessons might consist of a highly qualified fighter, stalking you during daily life and attacking you at home or at work, while your out with your friends."

Do you mean I could get paid for this? And how highly qualified do I have to be?

Cheers,

Nick

Gerald is commenting on your use of the term real life/Vale Tudo. Most people educated in the sport, refer to it as Mixed Martial Arts. If your interest likes in the streets, you would be looking at Self Defence and possibly weapons classes.So was your question rhetorical or is there another underlying reason?Regards,
Elvis

Ahhhhhh Richard,

What you need is the deadly, secret and devastating Welsh fighting art of "Llapp Gotch".

With the following (and only) principle of "Llapp Gotch" a closely guarded secret I put my very life in danger just posting this but for the greater good I will anyway.

"You must disable, maim or kill your enemy prior to the thought of him disabling, maiming or killing you has even crossed his mind." - Unidentified ancient master of the deadly, secret and devastating Welsh fighting art of "Llapp Gotch".

David "Llapp Gotch disciple and padwan learner even though I am not Welsh, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!" Krstic.

"Private lessons might consist of a highly qualified fighter, stalking you during daily life and attacking you at home or at work, while your out with your friends. "

I think we're onto something here... how about a "Australian Reality Fighting Circuit"?

Once you've paid you're joining fees, weighed in and received your t-shirt (with a f'ing big target on it) the game is on! Over the next few months(?) you wouldn't know when, where or who will attack you... it could be your Mother, your neighbour's dog or even your boss! All 'reality' techniques would be valid. For example, "Stalling", which has long been bagged as a pure competition strategy without any reality application could very well save your life.

What's that Arnie move called when they are chasing him around some city for $$$? There was a hunter bloke with hockey stick....

the Running Man

That's the one!

What's Llap Goch?

LOL

Its talk like this that really makes me miss you guys sometimes.

Llap Gotch, the deady welsh martial art?

I thought the question was a fair question.

If you wanted to learn Thai boxing wouldn't you like to know which places taught it and not just have to go to every kickboxing school to find out if Thai was taught or not?

I would have thought from other post i have read on here and heard others talk about that BJJ (which seems to be the main focus on the Australian front page) is very different to MMA. And as has been pointed out to me this is a MMA forum. On the front pafge the only line about BJJ is "With several Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black-belts" Yet most the web sites seem to be BJJ, so why not put down a list of which clubs or places train MMA the same as why not put down which ones train in BJJ or Wrestling ect?

As far as i know in Melbourne there is only 2 places that MMA is taught (i could be wrong) but i only know this from being on here and also one has it listed on their web site.

"What's Llap Goch?"
See Monty Python's Paperbok...lol I'm only 23 but I'm old enough to remember Monty Python, how old are you fellas?