good school districts near san diego?

Wife and I are preparing to relocate to the San Diego area. While we probably won't be able to afford SD or La Jolla proper, what are some surrounding towns that have good school districts and are a bit more affordable? Up to 30-40 minute drive to SD or La Jolla is OK. Thanks!

Good public schools in CA? Surely you joke.

Hee hee hee.
My high school aged cousin in laws had to go on independent study due to bullying. All of them . Phone Post 3.0

Poway Unified School District is one of the best in the state. San Dieguito is good also, but Carmel Valley is more expensive area overall than Poway or around Poway.

pfsjkd -

Poway Unified School District is one of the best in the state. San Dieguito is good also, but Carmel Valley is more expensive area overall than Poway or around Poway.

PUSD homie. To the NORTH!!!!!!! Phone Post

YousHerName -
pfsjkd -

PUSD homie. To the NORTH!!!!!!! Phone Post

Rancho bernardo or 4s ranch Phone Post

poway looks interesting

Yea the whole area of Poway, RB and 4S
Poway is a little more rural and older
RB is nice but kind of a retirement town
4S Is new but more expensive and is getting crowded quick
You cant go wrong as long as you dont pick a shit area of Poway Phone Post

My ladys sis lives in encinitas-carlsbad area. And she has 5 year old and 3 year old. Loves it there especially for children. Beautiful citys too. Look into that area Phone Post

mathew10lb - My ladys sis lives in encinitas-carlsbad area. And she has 5 year old and 3 year old. Loves it there especially for children. Beautiful citys too. Look into that area Phone Post

Oh yea if you can afford it. Starting at Del mar then Cardiff by the sea and Encinitas would be the best areas to live in SD or the country I believe. I work in del mar and it is just gorgeous. But you could probably find something more affordable in carlsbad and encinitas Phone Post

Also for price wise. You can get beautiful homes for way cheaper if you went maybe like an hour north of sd. In the temecula, murrieta, lake elsinore area. Or even look into the escondido, san marcos areas Phone Post

Check out Alpine. It's about 15 minutes East of SD, but an easy drive right up the 8. It's a little more small town feel, and sort of country. Poway, Rancho Bernardo area is very nice. I've heard good things a out both of the school districts. I would steer clear of most of the SD suburbs Lemon Grove, El Cajon, etc. La Mesa isn't bad but mostly college kids living in apartments.

Go to the one off Scripps where white girls twerk and get suspended n Phone Post 3.0

Definitely Poway. I grew up there, Daughter is in there school system now. Safe neighborhood. You couldnt ask for more. Some places are expensive but its the only reason im staying in the area is for the kid. Good luck Phone Post 3.0

elperro - Definitely Poway. I grew up there, Daughter is in there school system now. Safe neighborhood. You couldnt ask for more. Some places are expensive but its the only reason im staying in the area is for the kid. Good luck Phone Post 3.0

What year did you graduate? Grew up in RB, I gots love for you even though Poway was the "rival" haha Phone Post

microbiologynerd - 

poway looks interesting

What YousHerName said.

http://www.powayusd.com/maps/DistrictMap.pdf

The PUSD encompasses the city of Poway and several areas of San Diego; Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Del Sur, Sabre Springs, and 4S Ranch.

Bear in mind that if you're thinking of buying a house, you might have a severe case of sticker shock depending on where you come from. Lemme give you a very general breakdown real estate-wise of the areas listed above:

Poway: Some decent places to live. Also some much older, more run down places. You can get out away from people if you want by going to the east closer to the mountains. Tends to be a little hotter than other areas due to being more inland.

Rancho Bernardo: Some country club areas with newer, bigger houses along with some older areas. RB has a significant retired population and has some developments that are geard specifically to retirees. But there are some decent apartments and reasonable (by CA standard) houses there. Close to the interstate.

Carmel Mountain Ranch: Also some country club developments, along with some slightly older places (not as old as Poway or RB). Good shopping centers in the middle of it. Close to the interstate. A few apartments, but not as many as Poway or RB.

Rancho Penasquitos: Quite a big area actually, with some older low-class (IMO) areas and some nicer new places. Farther from the interstate, but close to a decent state road thruway.  IMO you would need to be more discriminationg about the neighborhood you picked. Depending on where exactly, a few degrees cooler than most places due to the onshore flow moving up Penasquitos Canyon.

Del Sur: Very nice area. Newer homes and town homes up to $1 mil +. Good breezes from onshore flow. High Mello-Roos fees (more about this later, or check Google). Not close to the interstate or thruway.

4S Ranch: Like Del Sur but with less really upscale homes and more town homes, IMO.  Very nice area. Also good breezes, but high Mello-Roos fees due it being so new. Closer to the Interstate than Del Sur.

Sabre Springs: Some older mid-level houses, some newer townhomes, and some apartments.

For more info on Mello-Roos, see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mello-Roos

Something that's not in the wiki article, IIRC, I don't think Mello-Roos is forever. I believe that a particular area needs to pay Mello-Roos fees on top of their regular property taxes only for a certain period of time and then it expires.  If you so desired, you could actually pay the Mello-Roos fees up front, thus sparing the next home owner from having to pay them.

The Logan neighborhood is a very affluent area and very close to downtown. Phone Post

microbiologynerd - 

Wife and I are preparing to relocate to the San Diego area. While we probably won't be able to afford SD or La Jolla proper, what are some surrounding towns that have good school districts and are a bit more affordable? Up to 30-40 minute drive to SD or La Jolla is OK. Thanks!

look for the asians (indians & chinese/koreans), thats the good school district

Are you sticking with the same company or do you have new job lined up?