good shotgun to buy?

Yeah, shotguns go under the radar for a lot of the laws, unless you're hunting.

I know the Benelli M4 isn't able to have an extension fit on it. At least the civilian version. Fuck that.

ttt

I have a REM 870 pump, that I fitted with an extended mag, side saddle, and ghostrings. I mix load with Slug, 00 and #4 magnum. In the saddle I have extra Slug and #4 so I can speed load if necessary.

All The Best
Steel

"I mix load with Slug, 00 and #4 magnum" - Why do you mix the rounds like that? I keep nothing but buck (00) in my 870s, but have slugs in buttcuffs incase I need to run a select slug drill and move from buck to slugs. Seems like with a mixture of rounds like that, you are never going to be 100% sure what type of pattern you are going to be producing when you pull the trigger.

I've always stuck with 00 and slugs, but #4 is damn good for home defense, too.

Hello TKDFighter,

I like using oo buck for breaching, slugs for distance and #4mag for everything else.

I'm always 100% sure of what pattern/round I'll be shooting at any given time. I know what is coming into the chamber everytime I rack a round, plus because I use a sidesaddle and if I need to insert a slug,OO or #4 I can distinguish the round by feel and still maintain eye muzzle target aquisition, and the same goes if I'm in the low mount position which is very rare for me. Plus the saddlemount allows me to expediate load if I bleed my mag.

IMO, #4 is much more lethal than OO and to echo "Mrarmbar2you" statement. #4mag is much better for home defence.

00 patterns opens up to quickly while #4mag cone of expantion is more predictable at longer ranges. While coyote hunting I've had coyotes literally seem to step in between oo buck and not take a hit but they fall immediately with #4mag. Same affect goes for Pit Bulls et al. during dynamic entries.

All The Best,
Steel

More power to you, but I truely dont see the need in crossloading the mag like that, especially if you are just running the gun for home defense. Just my opinion on it.

Hello TKDFighter,

Its all good

All The Best
SteelTalon

ttt

I'd recommend the Stoeger coach gun. It's double barrel and short in length.Here's the picture if someone will post it.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/shotguns/coach_gun/images/coach_silveradopg.jpg

Nice looking, but personally, I like something a bit more...tubular when it comes to defense. There are many proponents of the dbl bbl for home defense due to the simplicity of it. Sort of like the revolver vs automatic crowd. I can't discount that point, however, having to reload after your 2nd shot (or first if you accidentally "double trigger") is not attractive to me.

But, to each his own, they say.

Remington 870P.

Who makes a good inexpensive side by side these days? The only ones I have found online are Ruger's and they go for quite a few bucks.

870 or an Ithica.

just my 2 cents.

I got a Savage 12 gauge I could let go if you want a good side-by-side. It's right at 18 1/2 inches too.

i'm just not so sure about shooting a shotgun in the house. hell, i remember days at the range as a youngster and shooting the .22 w/o hearing protection.

would you guys suggest a pair of those earmuffs, that amplify sound, then shut off when loud noises come their way?

any of you shoot at house length (measuring the longest distance you may shoot inside your house) distances at the range?

stephen

YES I definitely want a pair of those electronic earmuffs... even subsonic .45 ACP indoors will damage hearing... not to mention we have a 130db alarm system that is louder than all hell. If someone tripped the alarm it would be very confusing to say the least

I practice, on average, from about 3 yrds - 25 yrds. With longguns, its usually 10 yrds-50/75 yrds.

I practice, on average, from about 3 yrds - 25 yrds. With longguns, its usually 10 yrds-50/75 yrds.

Mossberg 590, love it.