Google Project Fi TME

Sick and tired of Shitty T-mobile reception, and I've used HTC for a decade. Currently One M9, battery lasted a year and a half.

Looking at Pixel with Google's project Fi, or a Galaxy 7 with Sprint. Won't do Verizon.

I don't use too much data. Just light browsing and music I put on phone (no streaming)

What say you OG?

Bad timing for a tech thread. TTT for tomorrow.

I was looking at a similar choice a couple of months ago and remember reading about a couple quirks in the Pixl, which is understandable as it was the first iteration and kinks were expected. I also read that the S8 might be coming in a few months, so I decided to wait until the new version of either came out before ditching my S4.

Ttt

I use Fi.

Service is solid and my bill usually runs around $40-50 perfect month.

Started out and am still using the Nexus 6p. Still haven't decided on the Pixel or not.

RdotC - I use Fi.

Started out and am still using the Nexus 6p. Still haven't decided on the Pixel or not.
Do you find that going from tower to tower drains battery? How's reception compared to major carriers?

Picky McSnobberson -
RdotC - I use Fi.

Do you find that going from tower to tower drains battery? How's reception compared to major carriers?
Reception is fine... And I have no issues with battery life.

What's fi?

RdotC -
Picky McSnobberson -
RdotC - I use Fi.

How much is activation?

SMOKING MANHOLE -
RdotC -
Picky McSnobberson -
RdotC - I use Fi.

How much is activation?
I don't think there was any startup cost other than having a compatible phone.

RdotC -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
RdotC -
Picky McSnobberson -
RdotC - I use Fi.

How much is activation?
Nice! I can't wait to leave verizon

I like it. I use very little data, so my bill is around $23/month. Reception is good.

RdotC -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
RdotC -
Picky McSnobberson -
RdotC - I use Fi.

How much is activation?
This is correct.
If you don't already have a compatible phone then the activation cost is essentially the cost of the phone.

I've been using Fi since 12/2015 and couldn't be happier. My bills are always around $30/month.

Basic plan is $20 I think then you pay $10/GB BUT you only pay for what you use. I pay for two gigs but always get refunded because I never go over.

I'm on my way to Cozumel now and with Fi there are no international charges, so I'll be checking that out. My Nexus 6p should work in a hundred different countries.

The wife and I were paying about $160/mth on Verizon and now combined about $60/mth.

It's not perfect but we've been very satisfied. Fi also should automatically connect securely to any open wireless signal.

Awesome feedback. Does anyone have feedback on the pixel? I've heard its a little glitchy but the specs are ridiculous.

MountainMedic - What's fi?
It is Google's phone service, they piggyback on other carriers towers. $20 per month for unlimited text and call, and $10 per month per gig of data.

Picky McSnobberson -
MountainMedic - What's fi?
It is Google's phone service, they piggyback on other carriers towers. $20 per month for unlimited text and call, and $10 per month per gig of data.
Interesting

Is every milibyte of every thing you do on that phone parsed into every conceivable database?

Picky McSnobberson - Awesome feedback. Does anyone have feedback on the pixel? I've heard its a little glitchy but the specs are ridiculous.
Wife has the pixel xl. No issues with her phone and I think it's awesome. She doesn't give a shit as long as Facebook opens.

I really want to buy the Pixel XL... but that fucking thing is always out of stock.

Way to go Google.

NerveBlock -

No iPhone on Fi?

Nope, it's Google's foray into wireless service and only available on Google phones I.e. pixel, pixel xl, Nexus 6p and a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Fi preferentially uses WI Fi for calls and texts and in the absence of WI Fi uses T mobile, sprint or US Cellular - whatever signal is strongest.

It's supposed to seamlessly hand off between carriers/signals as you travel. I have had issues when moving in and out of different cell tower coverages - occasional dropped calls

Au Jus -
NerveBlock -

No iPhone on Fi?

Nope, it's Google's foray into wireless service and only available on Google phones I.e. pixel, pixel xl, Nexus 6p and a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Fi preferentially uses WI Fi for calls and texts and in the absence of WI Fi uses T mobile, sprint or US Cellular - whatever signal is strongest.

It's supposed to seamlessly hand off between carriers/signals as you travel. I have had issues when moving in and out of different cell tower coverages - occasional dropped calls
Will they buy me out of my god damn contract?