Gordon Ryan competes 2day

WNO (Who’s Number One) is today w/ the below submission grappling matches w/ my picks.

What are yours?

Gordon Ryan vs Pedro Marinho (rematch, Gordon won by heel hook): GORDON by submission

Kyle Chambers vs Izaak Michell: CHAMBERS by heel hook

Daniel Manasoiu vs Tristan Overvig: MANASOIU by submission

Nicholas Meregali vs Breylor Grout: MEREGALI by submission

2 Likes

I don’t know too much about grappling, where are these guys compared to Ryan hall or Damien Maia?

Apologies if that’s ignorant, like I said I don’t really know about it.

1 Like

I don’t keep up with things so I know only Gordon Ryan and Nicholas Meregali. Gordon Ryan does no-gi and would crush Ryan Hall and Demian Maia, I think. Meregali does gi and would crush Ryan Hall and Demian Maia, I think.

1 Like

I watched the Who’s Next show, I was really impressed by the production quality. The show was ten times more entertaining that TUF, despite having a similar format. Anyone who hasn’t seen it, Flo put all the episodes for free up on their youtube channel so go watch them. It’s really enjoyable.

Andrew Tackett is so fucking good, he was extremely unlucky to lose his last match. He was all over Kyle Chambers. Really looking forward to watching this.

Obviously Gordon is the heavy heavy favourite, but I don’t think anyone expected Marinho to beat Craig Jones either, so hopefully it’s a competitive match.

I have Gordon, Izzak, Big Dan and Meregali to win.

2 Likes

Going with those for the win too. Also picking Giancarlo over Jay Rod so a New Wave clean sweep.

Izaak was exceptional at trails recently and I prefer his control based leg game over Chambers explosive style game

Same here. Was very impressed with the quality of the show.

UFC heavyweight Aleksei Oleinik has 47 submissions. Gordon Ryan submitted him in 1 minute.

Gordon Ryan is on a no-GI BJJ level miles ahead of anyone ever

3 Likes

Crippler for moderator

Gordon Ryan vs Pedro Marinho (rematch, Gordon won by heel hook): GORDON by submission

Kyle Chambers vs Izaak Michell: Izaak

Daniel Manasoiu vs Tristan Overvig: MANASOIU

Nicholas Meregali vs Breylor Grout: MEREGALI

What are the rules?

I don’t know anyone except Gordon. I need to get more into the sport JJ thing.

Who has the best shot at beating Ryan at his weight?

2 Likes

Gordon is definitely miles ahead, as you said…but to add a little to it, he’s winning at a pace no grappler ever has…and he blew his knee out like 7-8 months before the last ADCC, had surgery, rehabbed his knee, got ready to compete and won double gold…his weight and absolute, winning every match by submission, without anyone scoring a point on him.

And for most of his matches, he writes down how he’s going to win, seals the envelope, then opens it after the match to show that he finished the world class black belt he just finished with the exact sequence he predicted…and it’s typically directly from an instructional that he’s trying to push…so if his newest instructional is about how to attack from open guard, or the best way to finish an armbar from mount…he’ll predict he’s going to finish the match by armbar from mount, do it, then post a video on instagram about how his newest instructional will teach you the exact sequence he used to win his match, here’s a link to buy…

I can’t remember a more dominant guy in any sport, frankly. I’m sure they exist in sports I don’t watch, but he’s competing against the best of the best and winning with the exact submission he’s predicting before the match. Imagine if Charles Oliveira was winning every match by the exact submission that he predicted before the fight, and never losing any rounds…over and over. He’d be the biggest star in MMA.

Also…he pretty regularly offers guys $ to face him…and it’ll be a guy who is considered one of the very best, and he’ll offer him 100K if he can beat him…offer to bet his 100K vs someone else’s 10K, shit like that. He’s a huge shit talker, but is beating everyone, and doing it at a pace that nobody else has.

7 Likes

Thanks!

I’ll also add he has a very apparent arrogant confidence about him. He refers to himself as the “king” and often wears a crown and cape. When he walks, he struts, similar to the billionaire strut but not an attempt at humor and his actual walk. I find him amusing, but his overt confidence makes people either love or hate him.

4 Likes

Any place to watch this other than Flo Grappling? Thanks!

1 Like

Felipe Pena probably has the best chance at beating Ryan, since he has already beaten Ryan twice, one of those times by rear naked choke. They are lined up to compete a 3rd time within the next few weeks I believe. And there is a chance for the 4th meeting at upcoming ADCC.

I don’t think so. FloGrappling makes money via the monthly streaming service.

1 Like

You mean Garry Tonon. He is competing in ADCC this year & competes in One FC in grappling and MMA

4 Likes

Tough to say, probably depends on the rules. That’s one thing I left out of my long ass rant…Ryan often looks to compete in things like the one today, where it’s submission only during the set timeframe, and not the ruleset in other tournaments where points are scored. He pretty regularly challenges guys to submission only matches and they decline…Gordon talks shit about the slow BJJ style where guys try to score a couple points and then stall out a win, but he is kind of forcing guys to compete in the style he prefers.

I don’t see guys challenging him and offering him $ to compete against them in standard rule set matches though, but Ryan is mostly competing in only the tournaments he likes…which is fair, because same can be said about the guys who avoid the submission only ones and only compete in the style they prefer.

And he is a pretty big star in grappling, making real $ for all his matches…so will often do big $ super fights instead of a tournament like the pan-ams or something.

2 Likes

While what you’re saying is 100% true, I think it leaves out important context. Gordon is 27 now, and those matches were in 2016/2017, and Gordon was given his black belt in 2016…so yes, Pena has those two wins over him, but it’s pretty clear that the guy we see in 2022 in his 6th year as a black belt isn’t the same guy who Pena beat as a 21 year old kid who was competing in his first year as a black belt.

That said, Pena is awesome and I’m excited to see them compete.

1 Like