Gordon ryan signs with ONE

Will be cool to see. Gordon is not particularly athletic, but is a monster technician (the greatest ever no gi) who can submit people from anywhere. Will be interesting to see his strategies.

One is a bit of a mess and not exactly world from mw up. Ā The mw champ beat the lhw champ who beat the Hw champ.

He's signed to grapple and do MMA if he decides........

2 Likes
Da Specimen -

He's signed to grapple and do MMA if he decides........

One has grappling only matches?

Da Specimen -

I believe that 225 is the upper limit for their light heavyweight division so it will be interesting, particularly given Ryan's stomach issues

What stomach issues does he have?

He should probably be fighting at middleweight.

Yomarashi -
Da Specimen -

I believe that 225 is the upper limit for their light heavyweight division so it will be interesting, particularly given Ryan's stomach issues

What stomach issues does he have?

Gets nauseous and cant eat for days at a time. Winds up in the hospital needing iv because of it. Dont think it's been diagnosed yet

https://imgur.com/Nn6Yem1

can't post IG links anymore I guess, so screencap's gotta do

https://imgur.com/RG28uXa

1 Like

Other than Roger, no one is close to his skill level in nogi. However, I think he lacks the athleticism needed for mma.

I think he should focus on getting even better with his grappling because he improves every year and build that legacy. I think thatā€™s what Danaher has recommended.

for now itā€™s grappling matches only with the option of MMA at a later time if he chooses

This may be fun

His purpleĀ  belt girlfriend and black belt little brother (19 y.o.) should also consider going MMA.Ā Although his g.f. is 32 she could probably be top 10 in UFC (or top 3 in Bellator) within a year or two.Ā 

(Ha ha, almost any athletic chick could be top 10 in UFC if she learned some crude strking skills and knows a couple of subs.)

2 Likes
branchdavidian -

https://imgur.com/Nn6Yem1

That sucks man. I have way too much experience with gastro problems. Had to stop training, well doing anything, for years. I hope they figure it outĀ 

Should be very interesting. I've long been curious if that works in high-level MMA. Gary has looked great, but hasn't really faced anyone of note. Hopefully Ryan will at some point.

It was a smart move by One. He is going to add to their leadership for sure.

RussĀ -Ā his team mate Tonon has looked great in his fights

tonon looks like he has a decent background in striking. Maybe tma, but he looks pretty comfortable especially in managing distance with kicks.

I think the main difference though, is that tonon seems much better at TDs.

Hope they bring him up slowly

Meatgrinder -
RussĀ -Ā his team mate Tonon has looked great in his fights

tonon looks like he has a decent background in striking. Maybe tma, but he looks pretty comfortable especially in managing distance with kicks.

I think the main difference though, is that tonon seems much better at TDs.

Tonon has been fun to watch thus far. Ā I think that guys like Tonon and Ryan have good BJJ backgrounds that will translate well to MMA because itā€™s so heavy on no-gi emphasis. Ā If they can find some way to implement their Ashi Garami system of leg entanglements into an MMA version, theyā€™ll be destroying people. Ā Thereā€™s a misconception that leg locks donā€™t work in MMA, which is nonsenseā€¦crude leg locks being deployed by people who donā€™t understand them donā€™t work in MMA.

This is, of course, not even making mention of the other ways they can finish you. Ā Whatā€™s intriguing is that the Ryan bothers, Tonon, etc. are finishers. Ā This isnā€™t like some of the other BJJ transitions weā€™ve seen in the past where ā€œworld championsā€ have come over and realize me little to mixed success. Ā What was oftentimes left out of the statement was that many of those guys were essentially points fighters who couldnā€™t carry that over to MMA.

Thereā€™s big potential there if they want it to be.