gospel of st thoman

I just watched stigmata. at the end they said in 1945 the gospel of st thomas was found.. and that the vatican didnt accept it or something like that.

where was it found, what did it say, what do we know about it etc (as far as who wrote it and when, did the apostle thomas- doubting thomas- write it?).. and why didnt the vatican accept it as a lost gospel?? thanks for any information you can give me.

and thats the gospel of st thomas*

The gospel of Thomas was rejected early in the churches history, not last century

the rev

there are certainly elements of buddhist philosphy inside of the judeo christian tradition that are in the canon which are clearly prior to go the gospel of st thomas.

It was rejected because the church in the first century had to stand against the heretical gnostics. This was a gnostic writing, and though they were an early sect of christianity, most scholars agree the apostles even saw them and refuted thier teachings, there are even epistles which most scholars believe to be written as refutation of gnostic heresies.

anyone have anymore info on how christianity and buddhism are related?

ttt

btw, its not St. Thomas Aquinas you are talking about is it?

GThomas is not a "gospel" but rather a collection of 114 sayings attributed to Jesus. It is particularly difficult to date since it provides no narrative or cross reference of any historical event as in the gospels.

The G-Thomas cannot be attributed to any known person. It most certainly was NOT the Thomas we know in the bible. Most scholars agree and date it to around 150 A.D. It's wasn't called the "Gospel of Thomas" until much later and it was given that name because of the first few lines which says: "didymos Judas thomas." The word "didymos" is Greek for twin and the word "thomas" is Aramaic for twin.

Most agree that GThomas was a gnostic work not Christian. The Gnostics were famous for quoting much of the NT gospels in saying format rather than narrative.

Given this I can certainly understand why they did include this in with the other gospels.

Many Kab. and Chassidic ideas are close to Buddism

thanks for the info