Got job offer to be a firefighter!!

Well I work full time doing IT for a county here in Minnesota, and I also work part time here at MMA.tv.

I applied to be a firefighter in my small town. It's an all volunteer department and they respond mostly to accidents.

I was looking to help out in the community, work with an awsome brotherhood, and stay busy now that I am not in school anymore. Pretty excited!

I'll start EMT school part time and then firefighter school after that, but they said I can start responding to calls pretty much right away. 

Just waiting now to finish pysch eval and med eval and I can start !

REALLY FUCKFACE?

Dude. Sweet. Phone Post 3.0

Congrats!!!

My youngest brother is also in IT and is a volunteer firefighter in a small town in MN....coincidence?

Not to be a dick but if it's a volunteer fire department you didn't get offered a job. But either way good for you, it takes a special person to do that for free. Phone Post 3.0

Jason - 

Well I work full time doing IT for a county here in Minnesota, and I also work part time here at MMA.tv.

I applied to be a firefighter in my small town. It's an all volunteer department and they respond mostly to accidents.

I was looking to help out in the community, work with an awsome brotherhood, and stay busy now that I am not in school anymore. Pretty excited!

I'll start EMT school part time and then firefighter school after that, but they said I can start responding to calls pretty much right away. 

Damn dude, I thought you had to already have done the EMT training to do that. You live near me I think. I am up in Forest Lake and was thinking about doing that type of thing here or in Columbus, but it looked like I would have to go through the whole EMT thing before I could even apply.

Tell me more about this gig sir!

these days, psych and backgrounds usually includes giving them all of your user names and passwords online. I know guys who've been screwed because of something they've posted on Facebook. I don't know how they'll feel about hiring a mod on the og Phone Post 3.0

paw - 

Congrats!!!

My youngest brother is also in IT and is a volunteer firefighter in a small town in MN....coincidence?

interesting!

Hoyce Chopino - Not to be a dick but if it's a volunteer fire department you didn't get offered a job. But either way good for you, it takes a special person to do that for free. Phone Post 3.0

It's a wierd naming convention. It is PAID. The weekly training from 7-10pm is paid, and every call you respond to you are paid by the hour rounded up.

There were about 10 applications and 2 people offered jobs, so I would say yes, it was a job offer.

Hurtsogood - 
Jason - 

<br />
<span class="User-348184" id="userPost54938160">Damn dude, I thought you had to already have done the EMT training to do that. You live near me I think. I am up in Forest Lake and was thinking about doing that type of thing here or in Columbus, but it looked like I would have to go through the whole EMT thing before I could even apply.<br />
<br />
Tell me more about this gig sir!</span></blockquote>

Our department just changed. I don't believe its a full state qualified EMT. It's a first responder hyrbid certification. 

Either way though our deparment pays for the training and they told me it's about a college semester in time. 2 nights a week plus homework. Then firefighter school is after that and about the same amount of time. 

But to answer your question there are no requirements prior to starting, atlhough I think my military background probably weighed in being selected as one of the two out of 10 guys offered. We also did a agility test and in person interview.

Also, small world. I am in Forest Lake a lot to go to Gander Mountain and we have wife's cousin that lives there.

Jason - 
Hurtsogood - 
Jason - 

<br />
<span class="User-348184" id="userPost54938160">Damn dude, I thought you had to already have done the EMT training to do that. You live near me I think. I am up in Forest Lake and was thinking about doing that type of thing here or in Columbus, but it looked like I would have to go through the whole EMT thing before I could even apply.<br />
<br />
Tell me more about this gig sir!</span></blockquote>

Our department just changed. I don't believe its a full state qualified EMT. It's a first responder hyrbid certification. 

Either way though our deparment pays for the training and they told me it's about a college semester in time. 2 nights a week plus homework. Then firefighter school is after that and about the same amount of time. 

But to answer your question there are no requirements prior to starting, atlhough I think my military background probably weighed in one being selected as one of the two out of 10 guys offered. We also did a agility test and in person interview.

Also, small world. I am in Forest Lake a lot to go to Gander Mountain and we have wife's cousin that lives there.

Dude that's awesome. Congrats. Do they hire for the volunteer positions often? I know you have to live within a certain area to be there quick enough when things happen, but I was really looking into that sort of thing like 6 5 months ago.

Hurtsogood. They hire our department kind of as needed, but they do only do the process once a year. 

And yes you have to live within 5 minutes of the station, which isn't a problem for me since I can almost throw a football to it from my house.

Jason - 

Hurtsogood. They hire our department kind of as needed, but they do only do the process once a year. 

And yes you have to live within 5 minutes of the station, which isn't a problem for me since I can almost throw a football to it from my house.

Very cool. Good luck with the training. Is this something you would eventually do full time if you ever got the opportunity? I know its really hard to get a gig as a full time firefighter these days, but just curious.

Are you white? If the answer is yes and it was a paid position I would be surprised and congratulatory. Phone Post 3.0

BadDog - Are you white? If the answer is yes and it was a paid position I would be surprised and congratulatory. Phone Post 3.0

What if he was black and just so happened to be the most qualified applicant? You wouldn't congratulate him then?

BadDog - Are you white? If the answer is yes and it was a paid position I would be surprised and congratulatory. Phone Post 3.0
you're an idiot Phone Post 3.0

DaveFu - REALLY FUCKFACE?
Well played! Phone Post 3.0

Hurtsogood - 
Jason - 

Very cool. Good luck with the training. Is this something you would eventually do full time if you ever got the opportunity? I know its really hard to get a gig as a full time firefighter these days, but just curious.

nah, never full time. My government IT job, they would never be able to match that pay and benefits.

BadDog - Are you white? If the answer is yes and it was a paid position I would be surprised and congratulatory. Phone Post 3.0

I am white, lol, but I do happen to have a card to play that even trumps minorities or women in the job hunt game. Being a disabled vet.

these small town volunteer departments can end up seeing a lot of action. Phone Post 3.0