Got knocked out

Naso,

You stepped up and fought dude! There's no failure
there.

What's better, you fought, you lost, you made no
excuses, and you're getting back in the ring.

To paraphrase Tennyson: Better to have fought and lost,
than never to have fought at all.

Keep on truckin'!

Jake

Talking of getting knocked out, and assuming you want to train hard with out losing all your mental faculties (the brain banging on inside of skull is a bad thing I think), any tips on how to minimise the damage from hard sparring? I think hard sparring, at least once in a while is a necessity, but the older I get the more it worries me

Thanks

I'll keep on truckin'! Thanks for the encouragement, Jake!

Strength & Honor

Naso Karas

Thanks, Kevin.

Naso

EVERYBODY has been knocked down or knocked out. If they haven't then they haven't fought/trained enough. At least you had the balls to step up...

Naso,

COngrats on getting in the ring! Kev's qoute is the ulitmate 'warrior' manifesto...

SPort fighting is just that, a sport...win/lose, its just a game...

you didnt let me or anyone down...if you quit or cheated, that wouldve let me down.

:-)

TOny

Bad news. I got knocked out in the first round by a kickboxer from PA. I guess I'll have to work harder for the next one. I'm sorry I let down the team.

Strength & Honor

Naso Karas

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt Delivered at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

SHALOM
&
HokaHey!

Kevin

Thanks, Coach. I'm getting back in the ring in February for some kickboxing. I'll be ready for that.

Naso

Menapace...good point, getting hit, hurt and rebounding is what its all about in any sport, from football to fighting, from horseback riding to skiing...most of the time we forget this...of course Ive never even been hit, which is why I was able to develop the best fighting system since the invisible near-death touch....

Serously though, here's some recollection of contact in sports from earliest memory on:

Age 5 while skiing in a junior race caught edge went into woods, bloodied and scared. Skied next day.

Age 12, wiped out in downhill race, knocked unconcious for minutes, severed part of tongue, ripped up face,
hospitalized, skied the weekend 6 weeks later. Continued to ski and compete.

Age 15, 5th dan TKD instructor asks me to spar with him and cracks the bone-lining in my ribs during a visit to his school. I went down needless to say.

Age 16 I try boxing, I'm put in ring with a ringer (they didnt like martial artists)... golden glove boxes pummels me, bruises my cheeks, one black eye, one mouse, two fat lips, he beats me silly ( after 3 earnest requests for him to back off while I'm in defensive clinches, I knock him out with a hammerfist/palmish mutation using the laceside of the 18 oz gloves as I couldnt generate the power with conventional boxing strikes in close range).

(*when I boxed, it was just boxing, not kicking etc.)

Age 21 I get dropped with shots to the body several times at the Champions Gym where the Hilton's train - not fun.

Age 26, flash knockout, (straight right, right between my eyes, mild fracture on nose) while fighting a Pro at Gleasons, come-to in a clinch, finished out two grueling rounds (ever notice how slowly the rounds go when youre in the ring with a good boxer??)

Age 28, zigged when I shouldve zagged and ate a MArciano-like right from one of the tougher gym fighters around, I was out on my feet for about 20 seconds, saw three of him (literally) drew him in by dropping my hands completely as he charged (in super slo mo)I actually aimed for the guy in the middle and hit him with the biggest and last punch I had (left hook)and knocked him out, we both were out on our feet, doing the Pugilist Waltz, cover in blood and blur, it was awesome - afterwards :-)

There have been more since, and many little ones in between, but these are the fondest (if that can make sense) defining moments as it were, Ive cracked my thumbs joints on both hands at elast 4-5 times, Ive cracked knuckles, broken my hand, have had chipped teeth filed 3 times (someone should invent a mouth guard type apparatus) have bruised discs, knees, elbows etc etc...

I thought I would share the message viscerally...anyone who trains, gets hit, and if you train with good people you get hit hard...you quit or come back...

Hope this made sense.

TOny

*important- training with contact requires consent and awareness, all contact training brings with it reward, but great risks as well, know what youre doing and looking for and make sur eyou and your partners understands the risks and responsibilites of enhancing safety as much as possible while at the same time recognizing that there is no growth without risk and penalty.

Wow, what an awesome thread. This one should get archive consideration.

Naso,

I'm proud of you for getting in there and following a dream. You risked. You have my admiration and respect!

"Never let your performance in a sport determine your ability in the street." - Tony Blauer. It's a game my friend. When you love it, train hard, and keep playing; there is always victory in the journey.

God Bless,

P.

"Age 21 I get dropped with shots to the body several times at the Champions Gym where the Hilton's train - not fun."

I HATE bodyshots...I think I'd rather be intentionally headbutted and elbowed.

BTW, to anyone who read the above post, you have forfeitted your opportunity to ever spar me in the near future due to the fact that you have learned my weakness and the one thing that makes me weap like a child when solid contact is made.

J. Menapace

(someone should invent a mouth guard type apparatus)LOL!!! I know how you feel!! I got caught in a guillotine once and that turned into a face crush while I was trying to pull out of it and I broke 3 molars! That sucked! BTW, thanks for the good words! I'm back in the gym tonite to get ready for Feb. 22nd BAD ASS Kick boxing and hopefully an MMA tourney in May! I have been inspired once again by the great people in the PDR program and Coaches Blauer and Hughes!

Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas

Naso,

Although we have never met, allow me to extend to you "props" for having the courage to be a warrior and step into the ring.

I loved the humility and honesty expressed by Coach Blauer in his post. This is yet another example of his integrity as a mentor, coach and educator.

I hope your training is going well and that you will use the 'experience' to focus your training goals and progress as a fighter in the ring and as a human being.

Anyone with the courage face adversity and overcome F.E.A.R. and self doubt is a champion because as Coach Blauer said, "you didn't cheat or quit."

That's all that really matters.

Take Care,

Mike

No doubt you'll learn alot more by loosing than winning. I think that's a nice way of seeing theese things.. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!