Got laid off depression is kicking my ass

I've dealt with major depression for years. But recently got laid off and it's really triggered my depression. I know the reasons it was a contract based job the contract was winding down was behind schedule and over budget and I was making a lot more than others doing my job. But it still doesn't help. 

Sorry to hear that, losing work sucks.

Get another job asap. Any job. Go!

what do you do? where do you live? good luck brother

The only thing I've learned about depression is that you have to act your way out of it.  Talking is great and all, and thinking is the devil.  But actions are the only thing that help me. 

The dumb shit like keeping the dishes clean, flossing instead of just brushing, a few push ups, keeping my truck clean, folding my cloths instead of living out of the dryer, getting out in nature instead of going to the bar, becoming someone worth being around instead of chasing a pussy I don't even like.  

You know.  The dumb important shit. 

12 Likes
Mynewscreenname - 

The only thing I've learned about depression is that you have to act your way out of it.  Talking is great and all, and thinking is the devil.  But actions are the only thing that help me. 

The dumb shit like keeping the dishes clean, flossing instead of just brushing, a few push ups, keeping my truck clean, folding my cloths instead of living out of the dryer, getting out in nature instead of going to the bar, becoming someone worth being around instead of chasing a pussy I don't even like.  

well said…everything you posted has helped me immensely although I’ve fallen off this last while. I have to get back in the saddle.

Best of luck, can you file for unemployment?

I would consume copious amounts of alcohol in place of working. That should fix you right up. 

Come to Indiana and hang out with me. 

Sorry to hear that, man.  I wish you good luck and I hope you feel better. 

Mynewscreenname -

This all day 

Burt Reynoldz -

I would consume copious amounts of alcohol in place of working. That should fix you right up. 

Hopefully someone can joke with you in such a funny way if you're ever in a bad spot. 

I've been through 2 layoff scares...shit is the worst however i think losing a pet is worse because it's something you can't fix. 

Anyway, losing a job sucks. I know...especially one if you have been there forever. I've been with the same company for close to 15 years now. It was my first real job, but corp america will corp america and they don't give a fuck. The first time was real bad because they gave us 6 months to find a job and every time i came up short on something it was like getting that layoff call all over again. I lucked out 5 months and 3 weeks into the deadline and landed another position with only a week left before i got sent home for good. The job was within the same company and i thought i was releaved...2 years after that...ANOTHER layoff. However this time the union pulled through and got the company to reassign all those that were being laidoff with another position. 

Kicking yourself and being in a funk isn't worth it, it does nothing for you and only makes you feel worse. You get up each day and do your best to change it, fuck feeling bad. You have one life...one life that was a 1 crazy odds have ever happening. Every time i got a declined job offer, it just fueled me to keep going, even though it sucked and I felt like all hope was lost, the next day i looked for something else and kept it moving. 

Not sure if you get any sort of unepmployment insurance, but that was always my biggest fall back. I knew if i was out of a job, at the VERY least i had that to fall back 6 months. 

I forgot to add, the biggest kick in the nuts was i thought i had the job i've been eyeing since i started with the company. Interviewd, it went awesome, i had a friend already on the inside put a good word, said his boss liked me and was picking me to go foward. However some rule that had built in that said internal hires needed to be approved by a board of members. Members that didn't even interview me, just had my resume on the paper, unfortunutly they voted no...so i wasn't allowed to be hired...aint that some shit.  That rule or governing board ended up getting removed because management was complaining a lot of the guys they wanted were getting declined. 

Shit sucks....just keep moving. 

Are you living close to family and are you close to them?  Are you able to move to another part of the country where job prospects are better? 

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

Already have. But it's not a money issue. I've never really dealt with losing a job. I basically spent my entire adult life in the military. I retired and had this job within a week. It's rough and I feel like I failed even though I know that's not why it happened. 

Taco Muncher -

Are you living close to family and are you close to them?  Are you able to move to another part of the country where job prospects are better? 

My family is all on the opposite side of the country. My wife's family is 10 minutes away and they're awesome and I couldn't ask for better in laws. I genuinely love them (even her sister who is a pain in my ass). 

VinegarStrokes - 
UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

Already have. But it's not a money issue. I've never really dealt with losing a job. I basically spent my entire adult life in the military. I retired and had this job within a week. It's rough and I feel like I failed even though I know that's not why it happened. 

Even though I am Canadian, I respect those that served. You haven’t failed my man, it’s a mild setback. Don’t overthink it…

Are you visiting a doctor about depression meds? They can definitely help. Another thing that can help is taking a short 20-30 minute walk everyday.

Right now I'm trying to go back to school. I went and talked to the transfer admissions counselor and she said I can still get in for Fall if I'm accepted. So I've ordered all my transcripts and applied but now I'm just waiting to hear back.