Gov Looking At Little Black Boxes To Tax Driving

A new plan to fund fixing America’s highways may include a black box installed  in everyone’s car. The devices would track every mile you drive, possibly including your location — and the government would use the data to draw up a tax bill. Drivers would be paying taxes for the highways based on how miles they drove on them.

A black box in your car? Some see a source of tax revenue

The devices would track every mile you drive —possibly including your location — and the government would use the data to draw up a tax bill.

Tracking mileage

Ryan Morrison is chief executive of True Mileage, a Long Beach company testing devices that can track drivers' mileage. "People will be more willing to do this if you do not track their speed and you do not track their location," he says. (Mark Boster, Los Angeles Times / October 24, 2013)

WASHINGTON — As America's road planners struggle to find the cash to mend a crumbling highway system, many are beginning to see a solution in a little black box that fits neatly by the dashboard of your car.

The devices, which track every mile a motorist drives and transmit that information to bureaucrats, are at the center of a controversial attempt in Washington and state planning offices to overhaul the outdated system for funding America's major roads.

The usually dull arena of highway planning has suddenly spawned intense debate and colorful alliances. Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-roads-black-boxes-20131027,0,6090226.story#axzz2ix1pqObE

Fuck them! Phone Post 3.0

HOLY SHIT I CALLED THAT........I KNEW IT ONCE THEY STARTED PUTTING IN TOLL ROADS AROUND HERE.

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

"Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill."

What libertarian would do that? Bigger government and more taxes? Phone Post

Cars already have a mileage tracking device installed. It's called an odometer. Phone Post

ProteusSFM - 

"Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill."

This!! LOL - that is about the most anti-Libertarian idea one could possibly conceive

OblongBox - Because the trillions a year they receive by taxing gasoline is not enough obviously.

The article says that this pay by mile tax would be INSTEAD of state gas taxes, not in addition to.

BIGWHITESEXY - HOLY SHIT I CALLED THAT........I KNEW IT ONCE THEY STARTED PUTTING IN TOLL ROADS AROUND HERE.

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

lol

Adulterous_Zucchini - We should be using cars less, anyway

Not everyone lives in a city and has access to public transportation. Phone Post

Right Hand JO Power - Cars already have a mileage tracking device installed. It's called an odometer. Phone Post
My first thought.

If they have to do it why don't they just check your odometer once per year? Phone Post 3.0

they could suck my dick

LOL!

OblongBox - 
Sagiv Lapkin - 
OblongBox - Because the trillions a year they receive by taxing gasoline is not enough obviously.

The article says that this pay by mile tax would be INSTEAD of state gas taxes, not in addition to.

What's the point though? You're already paying per the mile essentially by purchasing gasoline.

I think they are concerned that people are buying less gasoline than ever because cars are becoming more fuel-efficient than ever. The point for them is probably to generate more revenue since the gas tax as it is now is unsustainable since people are buying less and less (and that trend is only going to continue).

At least that's what I gleaned from the article.

I already pay for the use of the roads via tolls.

They can choke on my fat cock.

Not happening. Phone Post

ProteusSFM - "Libertarians have joined environmental groups in lobbying to allow government to use the little boxes to keep track of the miles you drive, and possibly where you drive them — then use the information to draw up a tax bill."

I thought the same thing WTF. Maybe they mean republitarians. Phone Post

From the article:

In Oregon, planners are experimenting with giving drivers different choices:

1)They can choose a device with GPS.

2) They can choose a device without GPS.

3) Or they can choose not to have a device at all, opting instead to pay a flat fee based on the average number of miles driven by all state residents.

I'd guess the vast majority would opt for #3.

Criminal 

Folks WE better get our heads out of our asses come together and start taking this country back because these fucks we put into power are taking just that away from us.

This would literally be war on the middle class.

The people that drive the most are suburbanites that need commute back and forth every single day between the various metro areas across the country.

The wealthiest individuals in the country either can work remotely or can afford luxury housing near their businesses. They have passive income that does not require them to drive to a brick and mortar location every day.

Very bad idea. I really hope no one takes it seriously.