Goyer: How Man of Steel will set up JL

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/13/david-goyer-tells-me-how-man-of-steels-story-causes-the-justice-league-movie/

Time for more from David Goyer, the screenwriter of Man of Steel.

I’ve been off chatting to him this afternoon, and our discussion approached the movie from many different angles. I already shared his comments on some scenes that were deleted from Man of Steel, and I’ll be passing on more bits and pieces as the day goes on.

Right now, though, we come to Goyer’s comments on how Man of Steel might set up the proposed Justice League movie.

I say “might” as – quite clearly not wanting to curse himself or Man of Steel‘s prospects –  Goyer framed Justice League only as a possibility. This weekend’s box office should firm things up, though.

I honestly believe a Justice League movie that shares the Man of Steel universe is pretty much a certainty at this point.

So, here’s the Justice League-relevant portion of our chat. It should also give you some more insight into Man of Steel.

David Goyer: It is our intention that, in success, this would be the zero issue and from this point onward, possible films could expand into a shared universe. In our world, the Man of Steel world, Zack has gone on record saying that we’re implying there are other superheroes in this world. But I don’t know that they’ve come forward yet. The idea is that Superman is the first one. There might be people helping people, but not in costumes, and that Superman comes forward and announces himself to the world. In him announcing himself, he’s the one that changes things.

Bleeding Cool: You’re positing a cause and effect?

David Goyer: Yes, yes absolutely, in our mind.

Bleeding Cool: And so now, Bruce Wayne will feel alright in his ears, where he might not have dressed up like that before. Is that the kind of thinking?

David Goyer: Well, yes… there’s definitely… I don’t want to get too in depth. Obviously, Zack and I have had conversations… but there would be a cause and effect. And that would extend to the collateral damage that happened, and to what other countries feel about the fact Superman calls America his home. Man of Steel doesn’t exist in a vaccum.

It’s not yet clear if a second Superman film will beat Justice League into cinemas, but it is clear that Goyer is thinking about both at once. His comments on the next Superman film will follow later, as well as a lot more on Man of Steel.

Just in case you missed the news, Man of Steel will open across the UK and US tomorrow, June 14th. And it’s going to be huge.

"And so now, Bruce Wayne will feel alright in his ears, where he might not have dressed up like that before. Is that the kind of thinking?"

is there an English translation to this question...I have no fucking idea what he's trying to ask...

The Elastic Assassin - "And so now, Bruce Wayne will feel alright in his ears, where he might not have dressed up like that before. Is that the kind of thinking?"

is there an English translation to this question...I have no fucking idea what he's trying to ask...

Ditto Phone Post

Bruce Wayne will feel alright putting on his (bat) ears, i.e. costume, after seeing Superman embarrass himself first.

I think they're inferring that Bruce Wayne wouldn't have thought to be a Batman type figure until seeing superman in a cape. That he would have been struggling to figure out what to do until seeing the events of the MoS.

Seems a little off to me.

I think they should run with Batman being the first hero, kinda like they did in the new 52 justice league series. Superman might be more in the public eye but batman has been around as a kind of supernatural being. Then when they all meet, all the other guys are like "dude you're just a fuckin guy dressed as a bat?" At which point batman slaps the shit out of them for giving him sass. Phone Post 3.0

Calebcb - Bruce Wayne will feel alright putting on his (bat) ears, i.e. costume, after seeing Superman embarrass himself first.
Yeah. This Phone Post 3.0

I agree, Batman needs to be the most experienced of the group.

MarkRobinson - I think they're inferring that Bruce Wayne wouldn't have thought to be a Batman type figure until seeing superman in a cape. That he would have been struggling to figure out what to do until seeing the events of the MoS.

Seems a little off to me.

I think they should run with Batman being the first hero, kinda like they did in the new 52 justice league series. Superman might be more in the public eye but batman has been around as a kind of supernatural being. Then when they all meet, all the other guys are like "dude you're just a fuckin guy dressed as a bat?" At which point batman slaps the shit out of them for giving him sass. Phone Post 3.0

I like this so much... especially if he's outsmarting motherfuckers ala the Morrison run where Bat's takes on GL in a yellow room lol.

^obviously not that far fetched, but just plainly being smarter/the tactician of the group.

What's interesting to me about this is that at least according to this, Nolan's Batman is not going to be a part of this shared universe. But it sounds like they're planning on introducing a Batman reboot following Man of Steel. Phone Post

JudOWNED - 

What's interesting to me about this is that at least according to this, Nolan's Batman is not going to be a part of this shared universe. But it sounds like they're planning on introducing a Batman reboot following Man of Steel. Phone Post

That works for me. Nolan's Batman is fundamentally incompatible with Superman & JLA generally IMO. Looking forward to the reboot.

Technically though they are correct. Supes appears in June of 1938, Bats in May of 1939. Superman did come first.

You can't reboot Batman this soon. I think it would be a disaster.

I also have to think that a Superman sequel would have to come before a JLA movie, if only to have these other characters appear in the movie in some way to set up the JLA movie, if they aren't going to have their own solo movies, that is.

a batman reboot will probably fail to meet expectations unless they take tips from the geekground. Particularly, me. Phone Post 3.0

I'm ready for a Batman reboot...No one has done it right yet.

Im ok with the idea of Superman being the first public hero of DC. Bruce Wayne training took years and clearly he has some experience background by the time superman goes public. Superman debut was the inspiration the other heroes needed to appear if i remember correctly my DCU history :P

Batman Reboot would make the most sense. Batman has been operating in Gotham for years. Putting criminals in comas. However, he is considered largely a myth. I would like Batman to stay that way even with the JL. He would be in the shadows like a ninja. He would let Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Latern, and Flash take the spotlight. Only time the JL needs Batman would be if they are match with someone who is more cerebal( Darkseid; Luthor; Deathstroke ). However, the key to really making Batman is to make him really scary. Like this guy potentially could anytime become Luthor like.

This might constitute a TINY spoiler for MoS but.....

When in space, Superman flies past a satellite that has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it

Nolan's Batman could most definitely operate in the MoS universe. Those films are fantastically amazing, and Nolan is involved with MoS. Why reboot? They can reintroduce Batman. He can see that "oh shit, obviously this Superman character isn't of this planet and that means there is more work to be done." He could come out of retirement, furthering the Batman mythos.

But they should definitely reboot Green Lantern. Fuck that movie.

BaldTony - This might constitute a TINY spoiler for MoS but.....

When in space, Superman flies past a satellite that has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it
Dammit. You just ruined the entire movie for me, sir. Phone Post 3.0