Goyer = Magneto Director

Variety reports:

Fox, Marvel move on 'Magneto'
Goyer to direct 'X-Men' spin-off
By MICHAEL FLEMING

David Goyer will direct "Magneto," the "X-Men" spinoff in development from 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios that centers on the villain played in the original trilogy by Ian McKellen.

After the first three "X-Men" films grossed more than $1 billion worldwide, Fox and Marvel hatched the spinoff program. "Magneto" will be the second such movie to go into production. First up is "Wolverine," a David Benioff-scripted film that will star Hugh Jackman as the steel-clawed mutant; Fox and Marvel will set a director shortly on that pic.

Goyer will develop a "Magneto" script that was written by Sheldon Turner.

McKellen's participation in "Magneto" will likely be limited since the film is an origin story. In a storyline hinted at by the original "X-Men" films, Magneto comes to grips with his mutant ability to manipulate metal objects as he and his parents try to survive in Auschwitz. Magneto meets Professor Xavier (played as the wheelchair-bound mutant leader by Patrick Stewart) when the latter is a soldier liberating the concentration camp.

Magneto hones his powers by hunting down and killing Nazi war criminals who tortured him, and his lust for vengeance turns Xavier and Magneto into enemies. Both characters will be played by actors in their 20s.

Marvel, coming off Columbia's "Ghost Rider," has a May 4 bow for Col's "Spider-Man 3" and a June 15 opening for "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" via Fox.

Marvel Studios is in production on the Robert Downey Jr.-Terrence Howard starrer "Iron Man," which Paramount has slotted for a May 2, 2008, release, and Edward Norton was recently set to play the title character in "The Incredible Hulk," a Louis Leterrier-directed reinvention of the franchise for which Universal has set a June 13, 2008, release.

Goyer, who directed "Blade: Trinity" and whose new film, "The Invisible," will be released this weekend by Disney, has scripted the "Blade" films for Marvel. He penned DC Comics transfer "Batman Begins."

Turner's credits include "The Longest Yard" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning."

LOL, yawn.

Marvel's been attracting first class talent so far.....I'm not sure why they would choose Goyer.

color me, concerned

Mark Steven Johnson - Daredevil/Ghostrider

Tim Story - FF4/FF4 2

David Goyer - Blade Trinity/Magneto

Notice a trend here?

I'm guessing Rob Bowman of Elektra fame will get the Wolverine gig.

I gave up hope at the following line:

Both characters will be played by actors in their 20s.

Mark Steven Johnson - Daredevil/Ghostrider

Tim Story - FF4/FF4 2

David Goyer - Blade Trinity/Magneto

Notice a trend here?

I can't believe I'm going to write this.....

Daredevil, well, what can we say....but against all reasonable expectations Ghostrider made money, so Johnson is probably considered ok by the-powers-that-be. Story is fine, insofar as FF4 made enough money to warrant a sequel.

Goyer, I don't get. I don't think Blade Trinity made money...so why he gets the gig, I don't know.

Spinoff movies will kill the good thing that Marvel has going with their
movie studio.

You're absolutely right, Paw. Movie are considered disposable products. You could make the worst movie of all time, but if it makes money you become a hot director. Conversely, if you make a cinematic masterpiece, you're worth nothing if it doesn't make money.

Goyer is still a hot go-to guy for genre/comic related properties. Despite Trinity failing, he's been on the frontlines as a writer.

"but against all reasonable expectations Ghostrider made money"

I don't get why people think Ghostrider was going to bomb. Sure, the movie sucked, but Ghostrider has great cinematic appeal.

I also think comic book movies are going to get to the point where stories/powers will begin to overlap thus diluting the stuff that's out on the market. It's like how many times can we see the same superstrong guy who can fly, the same dark avenging anti-hero, the same tech-oriented hotshots, etc...

"Both characters will be played by actors in their 20s."

This line doesn't scare me all that much. There are a lot of good unknown actors out there, and the advantage of a young actor is that we don't have preconceived notions of who that actor is based on other roles.

What scares the shit out of me is the idea of lots of marvel spinoff movies.

I don't think Marvel really realizes that the bottom is going to fall out of the super-hero movie genre; at the very least, the public won't be consuming them at the rate of every few months. They have to work on producing a quality picture that's not just a carbon copy of everything that's come before. Just because a movie is making money now doesn't mean that the same movie would do so well if it were released later. I mean, I love comic books, but I also love movies enough to not watch these stinking turds in theatres. I don't want to have to wait another 5, 10 years after the public stops watching before we start seeing comic book movies again.

This line doesn't scare me all that much. There are a lot of good unknown actors out there, and the advantage of a young actor is that we don't have preconceived notions of who that actor is based on other roles.

I would rather have seen Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart, obviously ;-)

Who are they targeting with this movie? I don't really get the appeal of the premise. A kid with magnetism powers goes around fighting Nazis? I mean, without the whole "X-Men" and "fighting superheroes" element, who gives a shit about Magneto? So he just runs around, sees a squad of guys with Schmeissers or whatever, twists the guns into pretzels, then crumples their tanks? Yawn.

As for Goyer, wow -- I didn't know he wrote all that Full Moon crap (Arcade, Dollman, Demonic Toys, Dollman vs Demonic Toys, Puppet Master, Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys).

Amazing that the same guy could write Batman Begins and Kickboxer 2.

I'm not going to knock Goyer for writing schlock. You got to start somewhere. It's ridiculously rare to be writing Grade-A material from the get-go.

I also agree that there's no audience for a Magneto movie. It's like the Bond folks wanting to do a Jinx movie after Halle Berry was in 007. I wished they could have done it and bankrupted themselves.

Marvel is a niche studio at best. It cannot afford to saturate the market with mediocre stuff. It needs to follow the Pixar model, imo. One event movie a year, 2 at most. Given that Marvel almost has a monopoly on Grade-A superheroes, it shouldn't be hard to sell the product.

I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Avi Arad are trying to cash in their chips as quickly as possible before the train hits the wall.

Ted Bennet-"...I would rather have seen Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart, obviously..."-----------------------------------------I have zero interest in seeing a full length Ian McKellan Magneto film. He's just getting to old. The comic book magneto is old, but his body is still strong. Ian McKellan looks like his own power would give him a stroke or heart attack at any moment.

I'm not va big fan of "Year One" type comic book movies, but in this case it's the ONLY thing that gave this movies hope IMO. However I fully expect them to ruin this w/ a sh!tty director.

However if I had it my way this movie wouldn't be made at all. Even a good Magneto film is still going a long way towards diluting the comic book film genre. Wolverine I could see, he basically IS the X-Men franchise, but I don't think every character should get a movie. That means no Storm or Cyclops or Toad movies either.

LOL!

lol