Grab The Fence Solution

I think I came up a good solution for when a fighter grabs the fence (particularly when it's to avoid a takedown). A lot of times they are warned and nothing is done about it, which is understandable because taking off a point can often cost a fighter the fight.

I think that when "Fighter A" grabs the fence blatantly in any attempt to stop a takedown.... instead of a warning, the ref should stop the action and give "Fighter B" the choice of 4 positions:
1) To be given automatic side control
2) To be put on top half guard (some fighters feel better control like this)
3) To be put in his opponent's guard (if for whatever reason they want to)
4) To be separated and keep it standing (if they prefer to stand and strike)

I think this rule would change MMA for the better as it would deter fence grabbing and give "Fighter B" their "justice". Pardon the overuse of quotes.

Actually a very good idea. I could also agree on taking a point straight away, everyone should know the rules although most of them are by pure reflex.

The last thing MMA needs is more complicated rules. There are already too many rules.

No fence. A moat with gators. Phone Post

No fence. Shock collars.

Rogan: He's hurt!
Goldberg: I think he just went to close to the boundary, Joe. Phone Post 3.0

Shock collars ala The Running Man. Phone Post

Explosive implants.

MMA Lives Here - Fence grabbing is annoying but what happens is a fight is restarted in side control or half guard and the guy immediately gets subbed or KO'd?

Problematic Phone Post 3.0

I agree. This could result in unearned win. Phone Post

I would say that Fighter B gets put into Fight A's guard automatically, and a warning is given to Fight A.

Arabic men alongside the outer rim of the cage with Sultan swords which slice off the tips of the fingers of any fighter grabbing the fence mesh.

john joe - just do away with the grabbing the fence rule, its illogical. You are instinctively going to grab the fence

the rule is there to protect fighters because their fingers will get fucked up if they are taken down hard while grabbing fence but, thats their choice. You arent going to stop serious takedown efforts by finger-grips on a fence
Uhhh, yeah you are. See early UFCs. It was annoying. Phone Post 3.0

john joe - just do away with the grabbing the fence rule, its illogical. You are instinctively going to grab the fence

the rule is there to protect fighters because their fingers will get fucked up if they are taken down hard while grabbing fence but, thats their choice. You arent going to stop serious takedown efforts by finger-grips on a fence

You can watch Condit's fights for example, he is always being taken down but just posts his hand on the fence for leverage, never grabs the fence(apart from sweeping DHK he grabbed the fence there). That's how every fighter should be able to control themselves.

john joe - just do away with the grabbing the fence rule, its illogical. You are instinctively going to grab the fence

Completely disagree with your post. Grabbing the fence has saved MANY a figheter from a vicious slam and being put on their backs. A lot of times it possibly could have swayed the entire fight.

You're nuts if you think that grabbing the fence and literally holding on to it can't stop someone from slamming them to the ground or taking them down.

It most certainly does. It's completely not fair to the one who is doing the throwing and being offensive.

As for "Instinct" that's hog wash too. Rules are rules and you know you're not supposed to grab yet they do anyway and always say "oh it was just my Instinct". Lot's of things in the cage can be chaulked up to instinct yet people don't do them. (Such as, when you're being hit in the face over and over, it's "instinct" just to turn away so as not to be hit again in the face) yet people "over come" this instinct and fight back instead of turning way. that's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are tons of things that are down that are counter to "Instinct".

It's just a stupid excuse.

And penalties should be given out the first time rather than just a warning. Because asking for forgivness is a lot better than asking for permission.

It's always in the fighters best interest to GRAB the fence and save himself from a vicious slam or being taken down and just get a warning from the Ref, EVERYTIME.

But if you seriously think grabbing the fence doesn't change the outcome of fights or is no big deal then you're not that bright at all.

Electrify the top half of the fence. Problem solved! Phone Post

Authority Figure -
MMA Lives Here - Fence grabbing is annoying but what happens is a fight is restarted in side control or half guard and the guy immediately gets subbed or KO'd?

Problematic Phone Post 3.0

I agree. This could result in unearned win. Phone Post

I think guard or standup Phone Post 3.0

Plexi glass IMO.

Either reset with a completed takedown, or take a point away without warning. You can basically grab the fence 1-2 per round without getting penalized.

Give the reff a broadsword, anyone grabs the fence and they get their hands severed Phone Post 3.0

I see serious td's get stopped now by a fence grab.

You say grabbing the fence changes a fight so your solution is to change it even more every fight? You haven't solved the problem, you've made it even worse. Phone Post