Gracie Breakdown: The death of Eric Garner

evh - incredibly tacky video
Too long, didn't watch....

Did they give him a 0.5 out of 10 on submission defense like Zimmerman's MMA coach? Phone Post 3.0

MrZipplokk -

Unfortunetly most people are not aware that , by law, they have to comply with police demands. Argue ur point later.  But many people think they do not have to comply.

Only if you are detained or impeding another officer from doing there job.., iirc Phone Post 3.0

Im willing to bet any command to you from a police officer requires you to comply. (Obviously if he says eat that dog shit ur not going to do it)

6ULDV8 -

Well, he was selling cheap smokes.  He deserved to die anyway.

RIP

You are scum of humanity! Cause the guy is trying to make buck to pay for his kids you think it's okay he died. Not everyone can get a nice job behind the desk! So you so what you can to survive. The cops should have handled it differently when they saw he was not moving they should have removed the cuffs and perform CPR! But my guess is non one wanted to do mouth to mouth with the guy so the rather he dies! That's very said for humanity! Phone Post 3.0

sub 4 later

marines1 - I said already on another thread why he died. He was being layer upon by between 300-500 lbs and add in not in good condition he breathed out the air in his lungs to wheeze "I can't breath". This is always a error when people on top say "if you can talk you can breathe".

The weight prohibits your lungs from expanding to inhale your next breath. If on top too long it causes respiratory arrest which can induce cardiac arrest. Retired police officer and defensive tactics instructor of over 20 years.

The police sadly DID cause his death unwittingly. It is a training issue. The choke had zero to do with his death.

Make the 'Gracie Breakdown' Breakdown video

MrZipplokk - 

Unfortunetly most people are not aware that , by law, they have to comply with police demands. Argue ur point later.  But many people think they do not have to comply.

Umm, absolutely not. You do NOT have to comply with any/all police commands.

Where did you go to law school? You absolutely have rights, even when being arrested.

Sounds great on paper ^ !

Garner's actions were not as innocuous as some of you make them out to be.  "Loosies" are loose cigarettes.  They are sold to minors who cannot afford whole packs.  A shopkeeper caught selling them to minors can lose his license.  Garner was making an illicit living introducing children, entitled to the law's protection, to a lifetime of suffering and an early death.  His own early death was unfortunate, but don't make him out to be a saint.  He could have cooperated with the police and taken his medicine like the man he is not.  The cops should have had non-lethal means to subdue him.  But I'm not losing any sleep over Garner meeting his Supreme Judge.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

^^ jesus

MrZipplokk - 

what happens if you are doing absolutely nothing illegal, get pulled over by cops, listen to their commands, yet they somehow accuse you of reaching for their guns (while you are complying putting your hands up) and beat you up and basically make you fear for your life not knowing whether they will kill you for "going for their gun"?

2 scumbag jersey cops by me got caught red handed......PD tried to hide the video until a pitbull lawyer got it and SAVED the victim from false charges and prison time

kronnchi - Poor taste to do this video IMO, based on his voice when in the choke it sounded like he was suffocating and it seems it had a lot to do with the eventual heart attack. Phone Post 3.0

We don't have to rely on "it seems."  That's what forensic autopsies are for.

Diesel67 - 

Garner's actions were not as innocuous as some of you make them out to be.  "Loosies" are loose cigarettes.  They are sold to minors who cannot afford whole packs.  A shopkeeper caught selling them to minors can lose his license.  Garner was making an illicit living introducing children, entitled to the law's protection, to a lifetime of suffering and an early death.  His own early death was unfortunate, but don't make him out to be a saint.  He could have cooperated with the police and taken his medicine like the man he is not.  The cops should have had non-lethal means to subdue him.  But I'm not losing any sleep over Garner meeting his Supreme Judge.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

How do you know who he was selling them to? It's not true that only minors buy loosies

JIUJITSUFOREVER - 
6ULDV8 -

Well, he was selling cheap smokes.  He deserved to die anyway.

RIP

You are scum of humanity! Cause the guy is trying to make buck to pay for his kids you think it's okay he died. Not everyone can get a nice job behind the desk! So you so what you can to survive. The cops should have handled it differently when they saw he was not moving they should have removed the cuffs and perform CPR! But my guess is non one wanted to do mouth to mouth with the guy so the rather he dies! That's very said for humanity! Phone Post 3.0

Dude, I guess you've never seen me post before. 

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I wasn't serious, except that I hope the guy choked and murdered by the cops really does rest in peace.

What they did to him was disgusting.  Anyone trying to defend cops doing shit like that is beyond disgusting.  That's how I really feel.  They killed him because he was selling cheap smokes, and people are defending it. 

That's horrifying.

MrZipplokk - 

Overweight an had a heart attack.  Thats my breakdown.

...after being put in a choke that's against department regulations.

This case represents the completely and utter inanity of statistics based policing. Cops going out of their way to harass some mope who's known for selling cigarettes on a daily basis because it's an easy way to meet their quota.

Purpose - In 4 later Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler - "...after being put in a choke that's against department regulations."

You forgot to add "That had nothing to do with his death":

http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/man-in-chokehold-death-had-no-throat-damage-autopsy/ Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for that. People have a right as citizens to speak out about the totality of the circumstances with interactions between police and citizens. Saying you have concerns that the guy was selling untaxed cigarettes and ended up dead is a reasonable concern, but don't make it into something it is not.

There are obviously underlying factors with that guy's health that contributed to his death that need to be considered. The tactics are not necessarily what is at issue in my mind. The tactic was a reasonable one based on the guy's size and his non-compliance. You can't judge a tactic's effectiveness only by the end result if you ignore everything else.

I think the bigger question is: do you want police pushing the issue on things like this? The fact is that any time you use force, one possible outcome is serious bodily injury or death. That is a bigger cultural question (as in culture of the agency) in my mind. How about another strategy? Like, it looks bad to fight with this guy over this bullshit right here, right now. Let him walk away and knock on his door the next day when he's cooled off and drop a summons on him or catch him walking out of his house? Just a thought.

Oh and, most importantly, tremendous, balanced and insightful vid as per usual.

buddie - 
Nitecrawler - "...after being put in a choke that's against department regulations."

You forgot to add "That had nothing to do with his death":

http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/man-in-chokehold-death-had-no-throat-damage-autopsy/ Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for that. People have a right as citizens to speak out about the totality of the circumstances with interactions between police and citizens. Saying you have concerns that the guy was selling untaxed cigarettes and ended up dead is a reasonable concern, but don't make it into something it is not.

There are obviously underlying factors with that guy's health that contributed to his death that need to be considered. The tactics are not necessarily what is at issue in my mind. The tactic was a reasonable one based on the guy's size and his non-compliance. You can't judge a tactic's effectiveness only by the end result if you ignore everything else.

I think the bigger question is: do you want police pushing the issue on things like this? The fact is that any time you use force, one possible outcome is serious bodily injury or death. That is a bigger cultural question (as in culture of the agency) in my mind. How about another strategy? Like, it looks bad to fight with this guy over this bullshit right here, right now. Let him walk away and knock on his door the next day when he's cooled off and drop a summons on him or catch him walking out of his house? Just a thought.

Really?  So now the police should ask nicely to arrest someone and if the suspect is upset, argumentative or doesn't want to be arrested then the police should walk away and request to arrest him at a later date?  Come on man.

MrZipplokk -

Overweight an had a heart attack.  Thats my breakdown.

This, it's basically what Rener and Ryron wanted to say too but they had to be a bit more diplomatic about it. Phone Post 3.0